It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Attorney General Calls for Guantanamo Closure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Speaking from Whitehall, Lord Peter Goldsmith, The Attorney General, has called for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention Camp. He also said the Facility had become a "Symbol of injustice", and that it's existance was "unacceptable".

news.bbc.co.uk
"The existence of Guantanamo remains unacceptable.

"It is time, in my view, that is should close. Not only would it, in my personal opinion, be right to close Guantanamo as a matter of principle, I believe it would also help to remove what has become a symbol to many - right or wrong - of injustice.

"The historic tradition of the United States as a beacon of freedom, liberty and of justice deserves the removal of this symbol."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I couldn't agree more, to be honest. This Facility should never have been allowed to open in the first place. You can't detain people indefinitely without any sort of trial, or fair hearing. How do we know they are actually guilty of any crime?

Close it!

[edit on 10-5-2006 by Code_Burger]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I disagree. :shk:

I say keep it open for the simple reason then terrorists can be tried by a military court - tribunal as they should be. Look at what happened once Zacarias Moussaoui made it to the US, he had to be tried by a bunch of civilians which did not really work as it should have. Under tribunal laws there is less time spent, not to mention money for retrials which I think are limited. That is not the case with civilian courts, heck they can go on for decades as we all know. Saves the taxpayers, money, time and last but not least if they are sentenced to death; I do believe it is hanging not lethal injection that is the preferred method.

It might even be a firing squad, I am not all that sure, but both inflict pain.
which is the type of death some of them deserve I.e. Zarqawai (sp) who goes around chopping peoples heads off. People like that deserve the same as they handout in my book

[edit on 5/10/2006 by shots]

new topics

join