It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to find out your address from IP?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yes - the IP resolves to where the ISPs servers are located, that of course is not necessarily anywhere near where you actually live.

Mine has come up as Croydon and also Manchester, I've never lived in either place or surrounds ever at all. But my ISP has it's servers in those areas.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Originally posted by ufia
Your ISP can match your IP to your address in a database for billing pruposes.

'They' would call the ISP and ask them for your address by pretending a TCP packet was misdelivered to the wrong computer, and they would like to return it to owner.

Indeed! They can try Ufia's plan, Freeman, but somehow I doubt if that will work.

Seriously though, I can't speak for your ISP, but my guess will be that access to your personal information will vary from ISP to ISP or even from one employee to the next.

I think this is easier for an ISP than one might think. IP addy's can change dynamically, but the lease on the IP can very easily be attached to the user's authentication (login) info. At that point, they can pretty much pin down what yu ate last night. Someone please tell me I'm wrong, but I think it makes sense.

posted on Jul, 2 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cerebral Souldier
Someone please tell me I'm wrong, but I think it makes sense.

Not wrong. This is how there are cases of evidence submitted into a court during the days when dialup was the only option (dynamic IP's) - using the correlation of info the law has against an individual: date, time, and IP - with the info of the ISP: who used that IP at that time of that date.

I've never heard, nor read, of an ISP that did not keep logs of their traffic for at least 30 days, and that's the least I've seen, which was a mininscual rural ISP that could not afford to keep anything longer.

NN

new topics

<< 1   >>

join