It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$4 million+ virtual reality room.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   

www.sciencedaily.com...

More than $4 million in equipment upgrades will shine 100 million pixels on Iowa State University’s six-sided virtual reality room.

That’s twice the number of pixels lighting up any virtual reality room in the world and 16 times the pixels now projected on Iowa State’s C6, a 10-foot by 10-foot virtual reality room that surrounds users with computer-generated 3-D images. That means the C6 will produce virtual reality at the world’s highest resolution.

Iowa State’s C6 opened in June 2000 as the country’s first six-sided virtual reality room designed to immerse users in images and sound. The graphics and projection technology that made such immersion possible hasn’t been updated since the C6 opened.

We aren’t on the "Holodeck" or in the "Danger Room" yet but I like what I see.

Maybe one day these VR rooms will replace recreation games like laser tag and indoor paintball.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If they added a cockpit reproduction in the middle of the room, and maybe a little better graphics (get rid of the shap edged polygons), that would be pretty cool. Not that it isn't cool already.

I wonder if it's possible to configure the cloaking technology that has been in development to make images rather than hide images, we could have a full on holodeck in a few years.

join