It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea attempting to weaponize the Bird Flu Virus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
If North Korea is successful in weaponizing the Bird Flu Virus it would give al-Qaida a WMD that would be undetectable and could eaisily be distributed throughout the United States.

To me, this is a greater threat than any other. I see no way of stopping this senario if North Korea is successful.

www.worldnetdaily.com...

[edited misleading title]

[edit on 5/10/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Ok first things first.

Never at any point in that article does it say that North Korea is developing Bird Flu specifically to give to Al-Queda. It does mention North Korea, birdflu and Al-Queda but it mereley says that:

1. NK is TRYING to weaponize bird flu.
2. Al-Queda could use it and it would be deadly.

It never says that NK is developing bird flu to give to Al-Queda as your post specifically stated.

Now, weaponizing the bird flu would not be an easy task at all for one thing. In the amount of time it takes North Korean scientists to actually make the disease in the form of a weapon with enough of the stuff to unleash on the USA - a vaccine and antidote will most likley be available.

It's a worry - no doubt. But probably not as serious as it is being made out to be. The project will probably get scrapped.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Your points are well taken.

However if this did come to pass, I do not see a vaccine being available.

The mutations this virus would take would not be known until it strikes and if this was a calculated effort there would not be enough time to save the majority of the people affected.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Fearmonger.

Next palestine deploy dirty bombs made by ex-soviets scientist, in a evil scheme for world domination by the giants that live in the middle of the earth. Did i mention that the world was flat aswell?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I have to say though, fear mongering yes, but this made me think.
Why hasn't Al'quiada at least tried to infect someone as the host to carry over any number of different biological weapons, Ebola, bird flu, smallpox, plague etc.

It would be easy than hijacking planes, they are more than happy to sacrifice themselves for their course, and would inflict a lot of damage even if contained.

So why hasn't it happened?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Why hasn't Al'quiada at least tried to infect someone as the host to carry over any number of different biological weapons, Ebola, bird flu, smallpox, plague etc.

Suicide bombs go off quickly and tear their carrier from limb to limb. If there is pain, it is over in an instant. Death by disease takes time and hurts. It would be difficult to find a suicide bio-bomber due to this fact. Many suicide bombers are willing but still reluctant (heck, even folks who are intent upon taking their own lives due to depression are still reluctant at the prospect of actually killing themselves) to kill themselves. Add this sort of suffering to the equation and I suspect that most that would have happily detonated themselves for their cause will walk away from an opportunity to infect themselves for their cause.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I suppose it depends on just how radical and desperate you were willing to go and i wouldn't put anything past Al' qaeda.

You say they wouldn't have the guts "excuse the pun" to carry out such a mission as it involves to much suffering on their part right?

There's gotta be one nut case who would be willing to do it id say.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Wow, do yourself a favor and don't link World Net Daily "stories".

I say stories because they're not news. They're "stories".

Look at their lead story:

www.worldnetdaily.com...

Details of al-Qaeda's penetration into Latin America emerged from documents discovered during recent anti-terrorist operations in Pakistan to try and locate Osama bin Laden.

The documents included evidence that al-Qaida has established links with the Colombian terror group, FARC, and the Shining Path, SL, in Peru. They also reveal al-Qaida's links with thousands of Muslim students in the Dominican Republic.

Another Pakistani document shows the links between al-Qaida and Mexico's Popular Revolutionary Army, EPR. The documents reveal that al-Qaida sees EPR as collaborators in attacks in Mexico on foreign targets – "especially those of the United States and Britain." It also says that EPR can play a key role in allowing al-Qaida operatives to enter the United States through the busiest land crossing in the world – Tijuana.

Another document reveals that along Peru's border with Chile "a large Arab community is providing substantial sums of money for al-Qaida."

But the closest links al-Qaida has are with Venezuela. Exploiting Chavez's latest tirade against the Bush administration, al-Qaida is firmly entrenched in the country.

That's some funny, funny stuff. Comedy gold. All of South America (more Christian than any other area of the world) hates America and wants to help Osama destroy it! Run!

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Agreed. WND is one of the last 'sources' to be taking information from. First off, flu viruses aren't particularly stable, mutate easily and H5N1 doesn't spread human-to-human... yet. There are a number of much better organisms to 'weaponize' and rest assured, Al Qaeda has access to most of them. Bird flu is the least of our worries.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That was kinda my point, even if not bird flu it must be ALOT easier to get hold of something else, find a willing suicidal bio host. lol didnt know what you would call it, as suicide bombers speaks for itself.

So maybe whoever is pulling the strings does not want such a "massive" wipe out of population, yet.
Coz i think its VERY possible to do.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
World Nut Daily is a pretty useless newsource that basically lies and fabricates articles to stir up views for itself.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Why would a country want to weaponize bird flu anyway? Viruses mutate constantly so it wouldn't make a very good bioweapon.

Ebola, Small Pox yes - bird flu no

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtma508
First off, flu viruses aren't particularly stable, mutate easily and H5N1 doesn't spread human-to-human... yet.

Exactly. It would be useless to try and weaponize bird flu unless you wanted to kill people's birds. Bird flu mutating to spread amongst humans efficiently is pure speculation and it's up to mother nature if it does or not, not NK. The danger I see is some pet birds are expensive, so if NK manages to get bird flu to AQ, there will be some financial loss for owners of exotic birds....

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Gawd.

10 PEOPLE HAVE DIED DUE TO BIRD FLU IN THE LAST TEN YEARS!

I wouldn't worry too much about bird flu as a WMD. Unless they shove the powdered virus down your throat and rub it manually on your mucous membranes.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
A little more than 10, but not enough to freak out by any means....

Since 2003 Bird flu (avian flu) has spread from VietNam all the way across the globe to Nigeria (west Africa) and Italy (well into the European Union). Over 150 million birds have died. The number of human deaths is also going up, about 90 people have so far died as a result of bird flu infection.
www.medicalnewstoday.com...

The human flu kills about 20,000 in the US alone each year.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
To weaponize bird flu you need to find a balance. The virus must be lethal enough to kill but it should not kill too fast either. If it kills too fast it wouldn't have time to spread. The H5N1 kills fast, maybe even "too fast". When they find places infected with bird flu, usually it looks like a battlefield. Lots of dead birds in one spot or area. The birds die so quick they don't have time to fly around and infect other birds. What is strange is that bird flu has been spreading over big distances. One spot here, another spot far away. I wonder if these occurances of bird flu are a result of nature or if it is manmade...

Related:
Nuclear Power Plant In Sweden Sealed Off - Bird Flu Confirmed

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
sorry guys, but there is already an active discussion on this topic here
North Korea trying to weaponize bird flu

this thread will be closed, please continue the discussion in the above.

top topics

join