It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did anyone see Fatal Contact Bird Flu in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Last night ABC aired Fatal Contact Bird Flu in America. The movie was based on a what if scenerio. Although I think the movie lacked plot it did maintain it's credibility on H5N1 facts and portrayed in an eye opening way how people may respond.
I heard on the radio this morning the morning show talking about the movie and they had some callers that stated the movie scared them. I just wanted to know if anyone else watched it and what the thoughts were?

I think we have become very complacent in regard to thinking nothing like this could happen here and I think the movie although not great did bring to light the possibilities that we all need to consider be it this virus or something else down the line.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I can't believe - nobody has any response? Anyone see this movie?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   
yea i saw it. It was an okay movie. I believe its pretty much how the world (or just america, based on the movie) would react, but i think it would be more violence, without the gooshy everybody-hugs hollywood ending. Especially since in the movie, that new strain was on the way, then the movie ends WTF? Gotta love cliffhangers

I found it odd that they actally made a movie about this now, especially when there is still a threat it would become a pandemic or bio-weapon (w/ N.K).

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Thank you P for your input and I agree about the ending.
I think the thought behind the movie or least what I read about it was the intent was to get information out to the public about the potential. I think it's befitting because I saw some polls about how worried American't are about this virus and surprisingly or perhaps not the majority of the poll said they weren't concerned and felt the gov had a good handle on taking care of the people and this virus.
I think the movie is good timing because it notates that nobody is prepared in any country including the US and should be a wake up call be it this virus or another one lurking or as you said being manufactured.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Sensationalist fear mongering, HORRIBLE plot and dialogue and shameful misuse of scientific fiction.

Show me where bird flu is proven to be more dangerous than natural weather, or that the scientific evidence points to it mutating to human to human contact without being engineered?

NK weaponizing H5N1? Mutating strains that "make all vaccines worthless" because of SO many mutations, i.e. the end of the movie - show me ANY evidence that this wasn't just propaganda and meant to scare the public over nothing?

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violent
Sensationalist fear mongering, HORRIBLE plot and dialogue and shameful misuse of scientific fiction.

Show me where bird flu is proven to be more dangerous than natural weather, or that the scientific evidence points to it mutating to human to human contact without being engineered?

NK weaponizing H5N1? Mutating strains that "make all vaccines worthless" because of SO many mutations, i.e. the end of the movie - show me ANY evidence that this wasn't just propaganda and meant to scare the public over nothing?

I never said it wasnt propaganda. I personally thought it was ridiculous, just like Flight 93, meant to just scare and/or piss off people, depending on who your are. But thats just me.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I don't really know if you can compare the two. Natural weather can be devestating but usually local whereas a virus and not necessarily the bird flu can be global if it becomes transmissable.

Propanganda? Maybe, it was May sweeps and ratings are important to networks during this time. I don't believe tho the intent was to scare people. What is that saying? Chance favors the prepared.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie.

I am not really even intersted in seeing it. Its kinda pointless. People need to be able to make decisions based upon reason. We shoujldn't be up in arms over immigration because of loud dobbs, be interested in the Darfur because of ER, or start thinking about global health because of some network tele-movie.

Originally posted by Violent
or that the scientific evidence points to it mutating to human to human contact without being engineered?

?

You feel that for a flu virus to 'go human' it has to be engineered? Every year there is a new flu strain comming out of asia that infects people. Also, this h5n1 avian flu, its ALREADY gone 'human to human', in a few instances infact, a pandemic was only prevented because it was stopped in time.

NK weaponizing H5N1? Mutating strains that "make all vaccines worthless" because of SO many mutations,

??

Was that the plot line? Thats freeking stupid.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Was that the plot line? Thats freeking stupid.

No, the plot line was that an american businessman traveled to china for business, caught the virus, and brought it back to the US. The virus spread, they had no vaccine. 20 million died, then france created a vaccine, then patented it, so no other country could use it but them.

Then the president of the US dies, then they discover the virus mutated and wiped out a bunch of remote villages in angolia (i think) completely, then the scientists say "Its already too late" and they show a bunch of birds flying towards the US with the new strain, then the movie ends.

Anyone smell a sequel?

[edit on 10-5-2006 by pstiffy]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I didn't watch the movie, but the commercials ABC ran to promote it had an despicable subtext, which really wasn't all that "sub." The line went something like "Our greatest threat is not from terrorists; it's not from nuclear weapons; it's from... each other!"

Obviously this movie was intended as fearmongering propaganda. It's supposed to make us feel good about martial law and forced quarantine camps, to put our faith in the government that we'll need to beseech for help. Of course, that help will come at a steep price.

My question would be, what does ABC's owner , the Walt Disney Company, gain from this? By jacking up the fear quotient in our society, by raising the level of paranoia, and by reinforcing the idea that we are our own greatest threat, cui bono? What's in it for them?

Baack

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Maybe the Disney Exec's were given spots in one of the underground facilities, so they'll be safe once the virus starts to kill us..just a thought.

[edit on 12-5-2006 by pstiffy]

new topics

top topics

join