I saw King Kong - I WAS SHOCKED

page: 4
0
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I don't see how Disney telling stories in their original manner is racist, Aladdin originated in the Middle East....showing the people in their traditional dress is hardly racism...

Hooked noses? That's to relate them to animals, hooked nose = beak of a vulture. Vultures are an icon or image of evil, the same as ravens.



d1k

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I didn't like the movie just cause it was such a downer. First they take King Kong off his island, then chain him up and put him on display, then when he gets loose instead of trying to recapture him or something they just blow him away. I saw it once and never want to see it again.

Ya I'm a bleeding heart for critters lol.



posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchangelOfCool
I don't see how Disney telling stories in their original manner is racist, Aladdin originated in the Middle East....showing the people in their traditional dress is hardly racism...


The reason many view Alladin being a racist cartoon, isn't because of the basic plot lines, it's in the animation. If you compare the skin tone of Alladin, the Princess, and the Sultan, and compare it to Jafar and the Theif from the beginning of the film, the three "good guy" have a much lighter skin tone, and look more western, whereas the "villians" are darker skinned, and look much more arabic.

Also, in the opening song, sung by Robin Williams, the middle eastern culture us called Barbaric. The exact line is


"I come from a land.... where they cut off your ears if they don't like your face. It's barbaric, but hey, it's home."


Another Disney films that has repeatedly come under fire for encouraging racist ideas is Peter Pan (the potrayal fo the Native Americans).

So the point, I think, is that there is racism in film, even today. But I just don't see it in the new King Kong movie.



posted on Jun, 13 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ever see Disney's Song of the South?

Let me introduce you to Uncle Remus:




www.songofthesouth.net...
MCU of Sally and Remus.

Remus: "I SHO IS SORRY, MISS SALLY."

Sally: "NO, IT'S MY FAULT. I SHOULD HAVE
KNOWN YOU COULDN'T STOP TELLING
YOUR STORIES. I DON'T LIKE TO SAY
THIS UNCLE REMUS, BUT FROM NOW ON
I WANT YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM
JOHNNY...."


Sally: "...YOU UNDERSTAND? COMPLETELY
****AWAY."

Remus: "YASSUM."


That's just a little bit.

I have to say, I can understand that back in the day, they were catering to the ignorant.
Maybe King Kong had a similar meaning. What I mean is now we view a gorilla and see just that, a gorilla. Maybe when the story was originally written, there was the subtle joke of gorilla being a black man.

I have to confess, Just for the sake of arguement, I went and found the original screenplay of King Kong, read it through, and found not a bit of racism, save for a moment where a crewmate calls the natives on the island "crazy black man" but I think the crewman is either black or asian, i'm not sure.

King Kong looks like he's just a big monkey.



posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Ever see Disney's Song of the South?

Let me introduce you to Uncle Remus:




www.songofthesouth.net...
MCU of Sally and Remus.

Remus: "I SHO IS SORRY, MISS SALLY."

Sally: "NO, IT'S MY FAULT. I SHOULD HAVE
KNOWN YOU COULDN'T STOP TELLING
YOUR STORIES. I DON'T LIKE TO SAY
THIS UNCLE REMUS, BUT FROM NOW ON
I WANT YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM
JOHNNY...."


Sally: "...YOU UNDERSTAND? COMPLETELY
****AWAY."

Remus: "YASSUM."


That's just a little bit.

I have to say, I can understand that back in the day, they were catering to the ignorant.
Maybe King Kong had a similar meaning. What I mean is now we view a gorilla and see just that, a gorilla. Maybe when the story was originally written, there was the subtle joke of gorilla being a black man.

I have to confess, Just for the sake of arguement, I went and found the original screenplay of King Kong, read it through, and found not a bit of racism, save for a moment where a crewmate calls the natives on the island "crazy black man" but I think the crewman is either black or asian, i'm not sure.

King Kong looks like he's just a big monkey.


Your quote just proves me right.


But i differ when you say that when you see a gorilla you see a monkey as due to the vast amount of programming you have received from all the sources around you since birth
would automatically associate a gorilla with a black person and a black person ith a gorilla or rather monkey as this automatically provides an ego boost and reinforces your innate superiority complex.Now because you are getting a boost it becomes addictive just like coc aine or heroine and you would never give it up voluntarily.

For example in schools its commonplace for our white children to make monkey noises at blacks and throw bananas at them.
In adult games in football black players again suffer this racial abuse as monkey noises are made at them and bananas are thrown at them.This conditioning comes from racial stereotyping which films like King Kong promote very strongly.


Have you studied pavlovs expeiments with dogs?

do you know what the significance of those experiments were?



posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I'm black btw. I just wanted to let you know that before you continued on that superiority kick. I do believe I am superior to everyone else however.



posted on Jul, 26 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Graffiti Removal

I removed four tags from this thread because they were offensive and violated the T&C and tag policy.

Members should bear in mind that misuse of the tag system may result in significant penalities, and that repeated violation of the T&C may result in account termination.

As for the topic of this thread, it is clearly touchy for some members, but stands as a classic example of how we can Deny Ignorance even here on BTS.

I encourage all interested members to explore the topic without fear of being personally attacked for expressing your honest opinions.

We as a community should never be reluctant to tackle issues just because they may be controversial.

I mean hey, that's the point, isn't it?



posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Ever see Disney's Song of the South?

Let me introduce you to Uncle Remus:




www.songofthesouth.net...
MCU of Sally and Remus.

Remus: "I SHO IS SORRY, MISS SALLY."

Sally: "NO, IT'S MY FAULT. I SHOULD HAVE
KNOWN YOU COULDN'T STOP TELLING
YOUR STORIES. I DON'T LIKE TO SAY
THIS UNCLE REMUS, BUT FROM NOW ON
I WANT YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM
JOHNNY...."


Sally: "...YOU UNDERSTAND? COMPLETELY
****AWAY."

Remus: "YASSUM."


That's just a little bit.

I have to say, I can understand that back in the day, they were catering to the ignorant.
Maybe King Kong had a similar meaning. What I mean is now we view a gorilla and see just that, a gorilla. Maybe when the story was originally written, there was the subtle joke of gorilla being a black man.

I have to confess, Just for the sake of arguement, I went and found the original screenplay of King Kong, read it through, and found not a bit of racism, save for a moment where a crewmate calls the natives on the island "crazy black man" but I think the crewman is either black or asian, i'm not sure.

King Kong looks like he's just a big monkey.


You missed the point.

We are discussing deep psychoogical conditioning promoting race hatred in the media.



posted on Aug, 17 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I think the Uncle Remus thing shows that very well.

can you explain how I missed the point?



posted on Aug, 21 2006 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Why is it so outrageous to even propose a discussion on this topic?

The original King Kong is a pulp film from the 30s; so its blatantly pulp-y elements (especially the interracial--here interspecies--sexual tensions) were pretty apparent to a whole lot of people then, now, and in all the intervening years. There have probably been thousands of essays written about this topic, including one especially entertaining one by Philip Jose Farmer from the 70s that I won't go into here. The zeitgeist of 1933 was not the same as 2005...there is nothing even remotely unusual about seeing racist (or paternalistic, or pro-colonial, etc) imagery in films of this era.

So, no, the OP wasn't specifically referring to the original King Kong. But to act as if King Kong (the franchise) never incorporated these themes is, frankly, bizarre and incorrect. Peter Jackson changed his version of Kong for 2005 audiences -- the changes alone, and the reasons for them, could make for an enlightening discussion.

But this is no enlightening discussion :shk:

For those who never saw the original, here's a short take on the two films in historical context:
www.2blowhards.com...



posted on Aug, 25 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by d1k
I didn't like the movie just cause it was such a downer. First they take King Kong off his island, then chain him up and put him on display, then when he gets loose instead of trying to recapture him or something they just blow him away. I saw it once and never want to see it again.

Ya I'm a bleeding heart for critters lol.

man did you ever see the original?
PJ remade the old movie with a bigger plot and better effects. the end was not about to change from the original.





top topics
 
0
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join