Libra and Orangetom, great posts IMO, very informative.
For a normal home defense gun, i would probably get a mossberg 500. I would probably also add a pistol grip to it and shorten the barrel to provide
for greater mobility in tight areas of a house. Also i would probably have a Hi-Point CF-380 .380ACP just as a backup. It's a nice little pistol from
what i read that is fairly concealable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to buy.
For the "situation x" that you guys were planning, I would probably do the following :
I would put together a fairly large backpack that would contain the following :
1) 3-5 gallons of water (which is enough water for about 3.5 - 6.5 days)
2) About 5 MRE's and A few protein bars (this would be enough food for about a week).
3) 10 or so fishing hooks and about 100 feet of fishing wire for fishing (only necessary if you can find a body of water of course)
4) 2-3 extra sets of clothes (preferably vaccuum sealed to save space)
5) A few bandanas (as mentioned by thelibra for many various reasons)
6) A couple hundred water purification tablets for when the stored water is gone
7) 2 thermal blankets (may or may not be necessary depending on local climate)
8) A sleeping mat (sleeping on sticks and rocks can denifatenly lower morale , www.ryedale-rambler.co.uk...
9) A simple cooking pot (Many survival stories have said that people were near a body of water but could not drink the water because it was either
salty or unclean, so the pot would be an excellent way to boil out the impurities in water)
10) A stick of magnesium (www.campingsurvival.com...
11) 5 of the butane lights as suggested by orangetom (cheap and highly effective)
12) a multitool (www.gerbertools.com...
13) a good nife for both cutting foliage and for personal defense (www.knifeoutlet.com...
14) A small but potent axe for help setting up a shelter (www.thewarriorsstronghold.com...
15) A good and reliable compass (www.thewarriorsstronghold.com...
16) Several maps of an area that you think you will be travelling through
17) A couple of surival guides that explain how to set up a shelter, hunt, etc. (may seem a bit elementary but when you forget stuff out in the middle
of nowhere, you will be glad you have these)
18) 2-3 tarps (work exellently when trying to set up a water proof shelter)
19) 100 ft. of rope (again excellent item when setting up a shelter)
20) 100 rounds for a pistol
21) 200-300 rounds for a larger weapon (i.e. 30.06, ak-47, mini 14)
22) Large winter coat with removable liner
23) Medical Supplies (bandages, alcohol, needles / string, etc.)
I personally would choose a Hi-Point CF-380 .380ACP for a pistol, it may not look the prettiest but it is cheap and highly effective.
For a larger weapon though i would have a much harder time choosing, I would probably pick one of the following though :
1) AK-47 (www.thewarriorsstronghold.com...
2) Mini 14 (www.impactguns.com...
3) 30.06 (www.impactguns.com...
4) Mauser (www.impactguns.com...
5) Mossberg 590 (www.impactguns.com...
6) Mossberg Cruiser (www.impactguns.com...
Basically it just depends on what kind of gun you are comfortable with and which one you think would benefit you the most in the most situations.
p.s.-feel free to make any comments regarding any of the items that i listed (whether they are good or bad).
Edit - Spelling, added to list
[edit on 13-5-2006 by enlightened_smurf]