It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to defend your self, on a budget.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 04:24 AM
link   
actually the code i used was:
[im][./im]
Without the dot, it only works if the source allows hotlinking, otherwise it makes the EXTERNAL IMAGE link to the pic

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
One issue about winter survival poppep into my mind while digging my car out from 40cm deep snow in my parking lot.

Drink a lot, cold wather makes your body consume more water than you might think, in both -30C and +30C temperatures you need to drink equal amounts of water to stay hydrated.

posted on Nov, 3 2006 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
One issue about winter survival poppep into my mind while digging my car out from 40cm deep snow in my parking lot.

Drink a lot, cold wather makes your body consume more water than you might think, in both -30C and +30C temperatures you need to drink equal amounts of water to stay hydrated.

Absolutely!!!

The Army always encouraged me to consume one quart of water per hour during intense physical activity. I am sure that doctrine has kept me out of the hospital on more than one occasion.

I also suffered from dehydration once during a mission in tropical climes, and it was very unpleasant, came sneaking up on me and I should have known some of the warning signs. As a result I am much wiser today.

posted on Nov, 28 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Howdy,

Its really a brave thing to consider preparing to defend ones self and family against the seemingly infinite amount of circumstances in which using arms against a hostile adversary would be opted.

I would most certainly welcome a zombie infestation over any other eruption of peace; but alas, we will most likely be faced with an antagonist that history documents as other than undead and sadly these real ghouls will be your everyday bandit, thug, pirate, looter, addict, gangster-wannabee,ignorant-soldier or bad cop, or in a worst case situation, starving and/or diseased unfortunates slaves to hunger and/or insanity or the most absolute worst, the foreign body of mercenaries given free reign to "restore order" by a replacement government other than our constitutional republic.

I think leaving my castle would be death, my home can certainly store more water, food , ordnance and medical supplies than any alice-pack. I'd also rather have no weapons cached, seems more logical to have a network of family armed than guns buried in the earth like a corpse.

I like the axiom that a pistol is what you have in your hand while you run to get your rifle. The 1911 .45 acp is nice to have in the hand but the makorov 9x18mm feels better on the waist-belt and is a heck of alot more relaible albeit less punch, but at home you should be running for your longgun anyhows.

As for longguns on a budget, my mossy 590 is a sound milspec arm..its got the ghostring peepsight which is really nice for fast target aquistion and the bayonet is nice just incase they are faking, not sure how one fakes being hit with a slug or oo buck.

Well, I'll probaly crap myself if I ever have to prod through a home-invasion scenario of any kind but the wife sleeps better knowing I've made steps to ensure our survivability. Oh,..btw..beagles arent the best guard dogs but they arent shy when the gun goes boom either , just fyi.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
With alot going on at work and things around here ..today is the first time in about a month I have had the opportunity to go to the range.

For the AR 15 forum on this Weapons section...I took my AR 15 today and shot about 30 rounds of Wolf .223 ammunition. All Rounds shot fine. There is a noticable difference in grouping at the 100 yard mark between this rifle and the two SKS rifles I also took. This rifle groups noticably tighter. No malfunctions.

THe Two SKS rifles I purchased some time back have been fitted with replacement fiberglass/nylon type stocks. One Monte Carlo type stock and one folder. This was a opportunity to check out the function of these two stocks.
THe Monte Carlo stock worked fine and I put about 40 rounds through this rifle then putting it away.

THe Folding stock SKS gave me some problems with ignition. I had several misfires with this rifle. I do not believe it was a problem with the mechanics of the rifle. I believe it was with grease still in the firing pin mechanism from the preservative.
I sprayed the firing pin mechanism with some electrical contact cleaner I carried in my truck and it seemed to free it up. I suppose with the cooler weather happening around here the grease began hardning unlike warmer summer temperatures.

When I got home today I cleaned all three rifles. The SKS rifles I carefully disassembled the whole bolt..extractor as well as firing pin. I had to carefully pin punch out a dowel pin which is used as a retainer for the firing pin. I used a solvent to clean the hole for the firing pin and also the pin itself...both SKS rifles though I only experienced problems with one of them.
I will take them both back out to the range for tests once more.

By the way...this folding stock not a good one. I intend to replace it with the Choate stock found on the web. The Choate stock is metal ..this one is nylon fiberglass and somewhat weak looking to me.

All ammunition fired today was Wolf ammo.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Back on page 4 of this thread dated 19-5 06 I made a inquiry into the subject of stashing a cache of fishing line. I am not all that familiar with different types outside of monofilament which is found almost everywhere.

I finally got around to doing some reading on this subject. According to articles found under

"Fishing line shelf life"

Braided type fishing line has the longest shelf life from light and temperature variations.

Monofilament can be stored for years provided it is kept in a dark enviornment and cool temperatures. It seems most monofilament is light sensitive.
Some users state that when they use long stored monofilament they remove and discard the first 20/30 yards on the outside of the roll.

I do know that in shipbuilding ..the type of nylon/poly rope we use is also light sensitive and often discarded after so long in use for safety reasons. We move very heavy loads in this occupation. Any questionable rigging is removed from use quickly.

This topic has been in the back of my mind for some time now. I intend to invest in a cache of both braided and monofilament lines in some quantities. The nylon monofilament I will store in darkened conditions indoors. I am considering 30 lb test or higher. THe braided too I will store in protected conditions.

This has not been a high priority but one that I have put off for some time. It is now time to check out this arena and act on it.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I have been experiencing some problems with my SKS Rifles. I believe it was due to my oversight.

I am glad I am finding these problems now ..verses in a less fortunate time.

This first cropped up during a session at the range in cold weather. I initially thought the problem was grease in the firing pin mechanism.

I now think it was grease in the recoil spring mechanism which retracts and extends the bolt mechanism. This spring has a two piece shaft going through the center. I had never thoroughly disassembled this unit and instead just dousing it in kerosene. I believe the spring mechanism had grease or preservative internally which was not sufficiently removed in the initial dousing with kerosene.

This time I disassembled this unit..doused it as before ..and also thoroughly disassembled the bolt and firing pin, extractor unit too. All these cleaned in kerosene. Also the trigger mechanism.

I recall another poster claiming similar problems ..probably in another thread.

I believe this was preventing my bolt from sufficiently closing and thereby giving me ignition problems.

No problems at todays shooting session...of about 70 rounds. I will need a much colder day of shooting to be sure.
Both SKS rifles have been disassembled and cleaned as so described.

By the way..when you buy one of these rifles new ..they do believe in generous preservative. Beware.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Numero Uno, fully tanged knife with a blade at least 3-4 inches long. The knife is the king of all survival tools.

Secondly, a staff or walking stick. It's should be made of good hardwood and 4-5 feet long with thickness of no more 1.5 inches in diameter. This is ultimate refinement of the club.

A .22 rimfire rifle. Lightweight,no recoil, plentiful and available ammo. Deadly out to 150 yards with good shot placement.

A break action 12 gage shotgun for deep wilderness areas. With slug ammo's it will take any game in North America. Think KISS principle.

An SKS for more urbanized areas. Very reliable and can be accessorized as easily as AR-15 for about 1/3 cost.

[edit on 7-1-2007 by crgintx]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   
[edit on 20-1-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I am trying to get the knack of posting a picture but not being very computer savy I just dont seem to be able. My apologies

I will keep trying to get it but not today.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 21-1-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
When all else fails..read the instructions carefully..and put your bloody glasses on!!

Ok..once again my apologies. here goes..

OK..here are the photos I have been working so hard to get on this site for some time now.

A heavy barreled target/varmit rifle. Savage Model 12 in .223 caliber. I shoot mostly 52 grain Hornady V Max bullets in this propelled by 24.8 grains of IMR 4320 powder. Standard small rifle primer. Very accurate shooting rifle if you can hold her steady. Also has the Accu Trigger. Very nice.

THe fixed Monte Carlo Stock I ordered awhile back for this SKS. No plans to modify for high capacity magazines. 10 rounds is plenty for its intended use.

This folding stock is a very cheap one. I dont particularly like it and plan to order a more hefty solid one later. The ammunition shown is both the steel cased..the dark ones and my brass reloads.

Most of you know this is a AR15 of which I posted on this board some time back. Couldnt pass it up for the price.

THe coiled up black wire you see is my emergency antenna of which I spoke in earlier posts on this thread. 2 meter J-pole antenna. Just throw a weighted fishing line over a tree limb and reel it up about 25 feet. Works great for as dumb looking and simple as it is.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
baseball bats are okay if you have the room to swing but i bought an item that works well in close or open space and has an intimadation factor almost as high as if not higher than a gun, it's a cold steel asaegi.www.coldsteel.com... this spear is used to hunt boar in many states and one guide says it put down a 250 lbs pig fastewr than a .270 cal rifle. you can use it like a broad sword and no one but a fool would try to grab it from you. of course like all weapons and deadly devices you must know how, when . and why you can use it in your spacific area laws vary from the sublime to the ridicules. (example if your in england an someone breaks into your home and threatens your life and youdefend your self , should your attacker get hurt you are likley to spend more time in jail than the guy who broke in and attacked you, so be aware of the concquinces of self defence, of course if you survive you can get out of jail a grave is another matter.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcssar
baseball bats are okay if you have the room to swing but i bought an item that works well in close or open space and has an intimadation factor almost as high as if not higher than a gun, it's a cold steel asaegi.www.coldsteel.com... this spear is used to hunt boar in many states and one guide says it put down a 250 lbs pig fastewr than a .270 cal rifle.

Hey Dude,

I looked this tool up on the Cold Steel web site. This thing is no toy in the hands of someone who knows how to use it. Not for kiddies or wanabees. You could hurt yourself or someone else very seriously with a tool like this.

What I liked about it is that the blade is Carbon Steel so it should hold an edge better than Stainless. STainless is durable but I never really took to it like a good piece of Carbon Steel. It is just that most edged tools of this type today are made of Stainless. Everywhere I go I am surrounded by stainless steel blades.
I keep an olde Marine corps bowie type knife in my truck along with a folding shovel and other gear as part of a standard load out. I keep a silicon based grease on the blade as a moisture repellant. Its been there about 5 years now. I just like the Carbon steel of this knife much better.

Thanks for the site and the information. At three feet in shaft length it is much more portable than a full length tool of this type.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
" WHAT IF HE'S GOT A PIONTY STICK "

MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:44 AM
link   
All I can say to that is:

How did he get those coconuts?

You know this things when you're a King.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Its good to be the King!!!!

Orangetom

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My apologies again. I am not quite proficient in posting photos and will have to attempt this again when the time allows. For now I must shove off once again. I will try to post on this topic for this thread later.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 29-1-2007 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I am having a time recalling how to download photos but I will have to continue to work at it to get better.

Here goes.

The photo shows four handguns. At the top the blued 6 inch vent ribbed barreled revolver is a Tarus .357 magnum in 6 shot capacity. This is a very good shooting revolver and I have put about 2000 rounds of .38 caliber reloads through this gun. I only occasionally shoot .357 magnum ammunition in it.
This is the great thing about this caliber revolver in .357magnum ...it will also shoot .38 specials.

Below this blued Revolver is another similar to it in Stainless Steel with a 4 inch vent ribbed barrel. This one I couldnt pass up from a guy I know who wanted some cash to get an automatic pistol For $200.00 I figured it was a good deal though I am not particularly fond of Stainless Steel. SAme caliber ...357/.38 Special
I like speed loaders for both of these .357/.38 Special revolvers.

The .45 Automatic was purchased stock out of the box in the Government issued version. I soon found myself disatisfied with the standard performance. I had the sights replaced with something more useful and practical for target type shooting. Also the barrel bushing was replaced with a semi match. A group gripper set up was done to tighten the alignment of the after part of the barrel. This pistol now shoots much tighter groups than out of the box.

The Stainless gun at the bottom is a .45ACP TArus Tracker 5 shot revolver. Now this revolver is a real shooter. It uses the five shot moon type clips. I dont recommend this as a survival type pistol. It is more for accurate target shooting. A very nice shooter this pistol is. I like it because in .45 caliber..unlike my .45 auto ..when I shoot my brass does not go all over the shooting range and need policing up afterwords. I just unlock the cylinder and eject the emptys into an olde coffee can. It is the same with the two .357/.38 special revolvers above.

I just prefer revolvers ..over autos. That is just me however. Of these revolvers ..if I had to hunt a meal down I would use the blued .357 above.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Have ordered a scope for my AR 15 and will mount when it comes in. I have selected a short type scope..not a long tube. It should have a wide field of view. I Dont need a real long shooting scope for this rifle.

I have mounted a similar scope on my folding stock SKS pictured above. Hoping to get time to shoot it in tomorrow. Time has been at a premium around here with my work schedule.

I have, however, been doing some stocking on other items.

I ordered a inexpensive radiation detector to get familiar with this tool. A proper one needs calibration but I want to get familiar with the process before investing in one more expensive or complicated. This one is a older model from the 1960s.

Another 500 rounds of Winchester Boxer primed brass in 7,62x39 caliber has been ordered and set aside. I will eventually as time allows get the rest of the reloading components and set them aside. I have become somewhat concerned with the shortage of this ammo and rise in prices. I want to be in a position to load my own if necessary.

The last item of concern here is a couple of suitable rifle cases as a scoped rifle requires a larger case. Those will also be ordered soon.

Still working on the fishing line angle and also para cord. Stainless steel wire I have aplenty along with the tools to form and utilize it.

There is a thread on this survival board titled "Shortwave radios". As time constraints allows I intend to post a photo there soon.

Thanks to all for their posts.

Orangetom

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Handloading ammo for a particular rifle/gun is the only way you're going to get the best accuracy from that rifle. I load for SKS using 123 grain bullets .310 caliber, 150 grain .308 caliber spitzer bullets and 155 grain cast bullets. Reloder 7, H335, and VV N-130 powders are great powders for this round and can be used in numerous other cartridges with excellent results. I use Lapua Brass and CCI 200 primers. The 150 grain bullets are the way to go for medium and heavy game. My younger brother to a 900 lb elk with his SKS with one of my 150 grain loads. The bull ran about 40 yards and piled up dead. We recovered the bullet on from the far shoulder. The shot on the bull was taken at some where between 130-150 yards distance.

Anyone equipped with a well tuned SKS and handloaded ammo would a dangerous opponent out to 500- 550 yrds with a good scope.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join