How to defend your self, on a budget.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
On a second note, I found a story dealing especially with the concept of an EMP attack, what would occur henceforth. It's rough around the edges, and a kinda rigid piece of fiction...but it's not bad by any stretch of the word. It's worth a read, and it's pretty short.

Lights Out, by Half Fast

DE

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just got back from the shooting range..and having fish and chips dinner...one of my favorites.

The shooting went well.
My reloads for the SKS worked without a hitch and the accuracy was acceptable.
My shooting was a bit rusty as range time has been at a premium lately.
Managed to get all my shot brass back and have it in my bucket for reloading. Some 20 rounds or two stripper clips worth.
I will go one more time with my reloads to double check.

The AR 15 shot well and accurately for iron sites. More accurate than my SKS. No malfunctions here. I should state that I was using some Wolf type inexpensive ammo in steel cases. I did not bother saving the brass. I shot some 30 rounds..one magazine full.

Finally...I sat back to relax and shoot the Savage...Model 12 bolt action.

What a difference in shooting this rifle and the other two. Talk about groupings. Tight groups. I shot 25 rounds and took my time. THese are handloads with Hornady V max bullets. They are seated a bit further out so as to engage the rifling when the bolt runs them foreward. Took some juggling of the seating dies to accomplish this. You have to really settle in in shooting a rifle like this ..it took me some 15 rounds to finally settle down While the first 15 were noticably tighter than the AR or SKS...I know its not the shooting of which this rifle is capable. Last ten rounds were much tighter..some even overlapping holes. Its a good feeling when you can settle in but you really have to shoot more regularly than I am doing to get good at it.

Will retire to cleaning and pre staging my brass for reloading here shortly.

Main thing was my SKS reloads worked fine.

THanks Gentlemen,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
During my travels about..both on my moped and in my truck since the passsing of Tropical Storm Enersto.. I have noted more generators around peoples homes and being shipped in the backs of cars and trucks.

It seems more people are catching on to the concept of having a standby generator than I recall say..ten years ago. So it seems that noticably more peoples are thinking ahead compared to years past. This is good.

Some of us by the content of this thread are taking it further ..and that too is good. Some peoples are trying to think outside the box so to speak.

Additional information for your consideration.

Thanks,
Orangetom.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Well , i live in quetta sourthern pakistan ,home to many warlords and tribes .over here the theives robbers whatever are usually armed with ak-47s AND ADVICE(Lol)

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Wow!! That is a rough way to live.

I dont know if you are able to be armed where you live in Pakistan..or if it will even do any good. I am aware of the warlord status in your country and the neighboring nations. This tradition goes back many many years. Before the Westerner came to your land.

I would like to know if any of these thieves are accomplished shooters or just spray bullets at people...mostly unarmed people?? Can you clarify this for me??

Thank you,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Well , there are only three ways to counter them
1. join the army
2. create your own tribe and become a Warlord yourself
3 or the easiest , travel to illaqay -ghair ( translation- the unkown city)
why the 3rd one cuz it has one of the biggest black markets in the world.your can get every thing from gattling guns to TOWS and at a very cheap price .this place was found after the sovient invasion when the us provided many weopons to the tailban who sold them here.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 01:10 AM
link   
just a bit random and off topic,

I got my self a little .22short revolver, got it for free since it's a blatant SNS.

this weapon deserves to be called a POS because it simply is.

It's a Rohm RG-10, double action, fixed sights.

I did clean it, got as much rust off of it, reblued it a little.

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Well, now you have a weapon whose effective range is measured in feet. Congradulations, you now have the advantage in armed confrontation over...the entirety of the British Isles!

It may be a Saturday Night Special, but you should still maybe bring it to a gunsmith. Maybe, just maybe, they could do something with it, right?

DE

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Some additional informations for your usage and consumption.

Concerning the AR 15 and Wolf Brand ammunition.

While at the gun range over the weekend I got to talking to some olde timers and they gave me a piece of information about Wolf Brand ammunition. The steel cased ammunition has some kind of lacquer coating on the cases to retard rust and corrosives. What they told me is that if you shoot alot of Wolf Brand steel cases in a M16/AR 15 the chamber dimensions are tighter than say ...like a SKS. As the lacquer wears in the chambers or builds up...it makes the casings tighter fitting and puts extra stress on the extractors and will cause premature damage.
They are tellling me to get a specific chamber brush and clean this area often and carefully.
They also told me it will happen in a SKS/AK type rifles but these rifles are more robust in this area than the M16/AR 15 and the chamber dimensions are not as tight.
This is not a slight against Wolf Brand ammunition. For the moneys you cant beat this ammo. Just a facet of this usage for which I had never considered.

Brass cases are not so coated so the problem does not present itself in this manner.

To this date I have only put about 120 rounds through this AR 15 but definitely need to get one of those stepped chamber brushes for this rifle from the local surplus store. I want to find one for a M1 Garand or the M14 type 30 caliber rifles too.

IN otherwords if you use alot of this type of ammuniton ..Wolf steel cased ammo ..clean particularly the Chamber area of your rifles. Extra care in the Chamber areas.

Thought I would pass this information on to you guys as I had never considered it prior to this weekend.

Cleanliness is always good..with your tools.

Also another curious facet of the Mag Light modification I have been using for some months now.

I have several of these Mini Mag lites positioned around the house running off AA type batteries. I have modified them with the additional purchase of the LED type bulbs for them. The selling point to me for the modificiation was that the light would last longer and brighter. This I found to be quite true verses the olde incadescent type bulbs. IN the mag lite modification there are three LED type bulbs on one socket and two electrical prongs to hook up just like the olde incadescent replacement bulbs.
If you get one of these modifications and the bulbs dont lite up...turn the electrical prongs around 180 degrees and plug back in. This is a diode arrangement ..a light emitting diode....diodes have a polarity. IF you plug them in backwards they will not conduct well enought to lite up until you turn them and get the correct polarity.

Nevertheless...an intresting thing has come to light so to speak about this bulb modification and the way it works. THe light emitted from this bulb is a blue type light. Very bright up close. But the very intresting thing about this light or the wavelength about which it works ..It makes some features for which you lite up...stand out ...much brighter than if you were using a normal flashlight.

At work we must constantly check out certain pieces of equipment made of metal...which have numbers vibro etched on them for accountability. These numbers correspond to numbers in technical manuals. THese numbers are often worn down by usage and rough handling. This flashlight with the LED modification makes the numbers really stand out ...and quite readable verses the older style incadescent bulbs. I figure it has something to do with the wavelength of light offered by a LED verses a incadescent bulb. A curious but very useful difference in my line of work.
The batteries definitely last much longer ..I would say four to five times longer. Noticably longer. This would be important in a survival situation.

Additional informations for your consumptions.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The wolf ammo coating doesn't affect your gun if you do as i'm told by our platoon lt. when i served in FRDF: "Clean the F****n gun after every shooting session and every day you field the gun outdoors (even if you don't shoot) And Clean it properly!!!!"

Led lights today are amazing, i've been very happy with my UK-Led

posted on Sep, 20 2006 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I am not sure who told you that, but the SKS and AK-47 were designed to fire this type of ammo. I dont know about the AR-15, but I suspect it wont have any trouble either.

you just have to make sure you disassemble the bolt carier group and clean it carefully....I use a toothbrush on the small pieces to remove carbon and other by products from shooting.

Also if there are any SKS shooters out there, make sure you clean the gas piston as well.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
yes I understand the SKS and Ak series rifles were designed to fire this type of ammo. No problem here. Also understand the difference in chamber dimensions between the SKS, AK and the AR series of rifles.

I know people who do not clean thier rifles or pistols very often...period..

Cleaning is to me necessary..for any such tools. I do know that if you get a build up of anything ...and I mean anything which will take up space in the chambers it will impede functioning of the action.

I intend to get myself several chamber type brushs for my SKS..in 30 caliber also the ones for 5.56 mm. THere is a local surplus store up the road from me. I will check with them for a military type chamber brush.

I havent put that many rounds through either my SKS or AR 15. Most of it Wolf type ammo. THe SKS rifles have about 250 round per rifle and the AR about 100 rounds. I clean mine each time I get back from the range. I do however need to pay more attention to the chambers. A chamber designed brush will help here tremendously.
I do think this will be a bigger problem with a AR type rifle than the SKS yes.

By the way.. the last time I shot my SKS at the range I disassembled it there on the shooting bench. When I removed the gas piston...and then lifted the lever by the rear sight..the rod and spring shot out foreward of the firing line into the sand.
I sometimes forget how spring loaded that gizmo is. I had them go cold on the firing line for a minute and retrieved my parts. Makes one feel stupid when this happens. Cleaned and blew them off carefully before reassembling it.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 23 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I was thinking about things- in case of emergency, one of the big factors determining how bad things will be is the state of the roads. If you can't go anywhere because you're waist-deep in water, or the roads have been washed away, etc. then there's serious trouble. With climate change in the cards, well, it's something worth considering.

How many people here own a canoe or boat? They're pretty simple, pretty rugged devices that can get you places with a lot less trouble and a lot quieter than a car would.

DE

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Today I went to the local surplus store and obtained two chamber brushs in the 5.56mm caliber. I will probably wind up ordering them for the 7.62mm caliber.

I also ordered two different fiberglass stocks for the SKS rifles I have. One solid Monte Carlo stock and one folding stock. They should arrive next week.

Will be carefully cleaning the chambers of my Mini 14s and the AR 15 I recently bought.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm working on a theory... right now, it's called 'arms equity'.

For example- in Canada, not many own what can be called 'combat' arms- mostly hunting rifles and shotguns, along wtih some target weapons. Given the restrictions on firearms, an M1 Garand or an SMLE can be considered the pinnacle of legal firepower permitted. Were I to own one, I'd be one of perhaps twenty-five or fifty non police firearms owners in my town of 160,000. It could be said the arms-equity is much more in my personal favor.

In any given town in the states, this is not the situation. There is a fair chance that multiple people on your street have firearms, and they may be high-capacity assault rifles like yours. If the SHTF, I'd much rather be the only guy with a gun for miles around, for obvious reasons.I don't know who I can trust, who's got aims of megalomania, or what. I don't know who's a criminal, who's not, and I'm not fond of taking chances. The arms equity is much more spread out. It favors the many, instead of me and my plans to rabbit.

If I was planning to stick it out and knew my community, I'd be all for sandbagging my subdivision and forming a small community. But, I don't, so I won't, so to the hills I go. Tell me what you all think.

DE

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
To my limited knowlege around here ..other than handguns the two most own firearms around here are the .22 rifle and the shotgun. Most being 12 or 20 gauge. Mostly for hunting usages. Most people around here dont actually keep that much ammunition at home. A few boxes of each is the standard of which I know.

People like us who discuss such concepts are not the norm. What is the norm is people who talk about their sports programs ...and other vicarious drivel which passes for excellence among many.

Your point about if the SHTF is well spoken and one in the context of which I had not fully considered in the context of your local population density. YOur population density is not as great as around here ..good point by the way..excellent point. I dont know exactly where in Canada you are but I do know that the restrictions up there are much tighter than here. You have my sympathys on that. I know at times that has to burn your backside.

I submit to you that if any such calamity occurred around here and people could not depend on the local consabulary or national guard to secure the peace...the local stores would most likely be sold out, or broken into and looted or just shut down to prevent the dispersal of such ammunitions to the public. In otherwords if you are not established before the SHTF you are in trouble. Same with certain foodstuffs/supplies before bad weather like hurricanes. When you get to the stores the cubboards are mostly bare. You must establish your position before hand. Well before hand.

This got me to thinking about a guy at work. We were discussing being hit by a nuclear device around here. His position was that if a nuclear war broke out around here almost everyone was toast or dead within a few weeks since we are close to the Norfolk Navy Base. I said...that is possible...however..if you dont survive most of your problems are over. Your problems become greatly magnified if you should be unfortunate enough to survive..now you have "real" problems.
Your preparations should be based on if you or other memebers of your family are unfortunate enough to survive.

It was about three months later I saw him again and he told me he bought a handgun in what is called .45 GAP caliber. Some kind of Glock pistol.
He is begining to think about it. I dont care for the caliber..per se...the GAP ammunition is not as easily available as the standard ACP in .45 but he is thinking and that is good.

Thanks Deus Ex for the thinking and ideas about the population density.

Orangetom

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999

To my limited knowlege around here ..other than handguns the two most own firearms around here are the .22 rifle and the shotgun. Most being 12 or 20 gauge. Mostly for hunting usages. Most people around here dont actually keep that much ammunition at home. A few boxes of each is the standard of which I know.

A .22 rifle and a shotgun (especially a 12 gauge) is a lot better than nothing. I live on the very fringes of the burbs, near a few farms, and still...almost no firearms. I would be at a huge advantage to have some, especially since if I chose to stay here, it would be the midpoint for the flood of refugees between Hamilton and Toronto. Another thing to consider- survivors of a calamity from a city will spread outwards, causing trouble. If SHTF in the States, I expect people from Michigan, Vermont, etc. will end up crossing the border.

Your point about if the SHTF is well spoken and one in the context of which I had not fully considered in the context of your local population density. YOur population density is not as great as around here ..good point by the way..excellent point. I dont know exactly where in Canada you are but I do know that the restrictions up there are much tighter than here. You have my sympathys on that. I know at times that has to burn your backside.

It surely does grind my gears, but if I have to I can work it to my advantage. Less population means less needs. If I'm ready, I can be halfway to Pine Hills before most people are done looting the local Loblaws or Walmart. Sticking around is trouble, and I don't have neighbors to rely on to help defend me. I don't expect the police to be able to do much...already, the locals are not looked kindly upon for their skills.

As for GAP- I've heard good things, but there isn't gonna be enouhg pickup, enough commonality to even consider it.

DE

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Look, if you need a weapon for self-defence purposes. Anything can help. But if people are going to hurt you or go after you, or harass you, they well.

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
im avoiding WW3 and preparing for WW4 i got myself a sharp stick and a bag of rocks

in the UK you cant really own firearms so i have a baseball bat and a bottle of pepper spray i picked up in europe to protect my home

posted on Oct, 8 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by popek
im avoiding WW3 and preparing for WW4 i got myself a sharp stick and a bag of rocks

in the UK you cant really own firearms so i have a baseball bat and a bottle of pepper spray i picked up in europe to protect my home

No problem popek..another few years of European trained politicians and we here in the United States will be in the same boat...we will be living under the same virus.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join