It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an attack on Iran be legal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Based on the fact that Iran is a different military equation, I think the U.S. will actually have a slightly easier time of it IF they decide to make their case for war.

The eventual completion of an atomic weapon by Iran will be the ultimiate justification.

If the Iranians continue their arms buildup, something could be made of that. I'd expect some rhetoric about a threat to the region.

These are just two examples.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
If it's illegal now, rest assured Bush's cronies in Washington will pressure the U.N. to make it legal. Let's not forget that being "legal" doesn't make something right. It was illegal to hide jews from the SS in Nazi Germany. It's "legal" in the States for an eighteen-year-old to star in "Young & Anal 5"... but she's got to be twenty-one to have a beer...

Laws are passed for reasons other than "being the right thing to do".

-S

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
So, I go back to my earlier question. What exactly are they likley to state as the reasoning, beyond the obvious nuc-u-lar stuff?

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
hmm...interesting topic...ill just add that laws...intl laws are made by man (women incl of course) who live in countries and sometimes have their own agendas to serve...

so if a country is strong enough politically/economically and has enough strong allies...it can do whatever it deems necessary to achieve its goals...what is legal or illegal is something a few strong countries can dictate...

so in this case to me it doesnt really matter if its legal or not...but lets say...the us declares war on iran and invades it...but there are tremendous casualties amongst us/coalition forces due to iranian resistance...

the beauty of democracy could kick in and remove the current administration for a new one...and "make things right" again...

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The U.S. would be hypocrites to try and use the U.N. to pressure Iran and try and make it look legal and then in turn oppose the U.N. and attack Iran. Not only that but it will show that the U.N. doesn't serve any kind of purpose outside of humanitarian puroses and destroy the U.S. image in the eyes of the international community.

I personaly think its extremely important for the U.S. to discuss whats legal and whats not rather then decide for itself. If the U.S. doesn't move to incorporate the use of the U.N. it could one day turn against them.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
precisely...the un is there for strong countries to show that "they care" and help famine struck countries like ethiopia in the late 80s...

AND also to ensure their needs are protected and "legitimised" when necessary...

life is not fair...the stronger you are...the "fairer" life will be

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The idea that the U.N. is somehow "necessary" to this coming war appeals to me, but I don't see it making a successful intervention. If anything this war will be the end of the U.N. as we know it, in much the same way as the League of Nations went away.

I don't doubt for a minute that there will be some sort of coalition. Deals will be made. A future American president...especially one who has had time to mobilize her nation...might only be interesting in buying cooperation.

<< 1   >>

join