It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hamas and Fatah Ban Militants from Carrying Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In a surprising move, the Hamas and Fatah movements in Palestine have both agreed to outlaw the carrying of weapons by militants in the state. This action is seen as a move to curb violence among the Palestinians after factional fighting caused several deaths and injuries over the past few days.

news.yahoo.com
"We are giving clear instructions to all the militants to end their armed initiatives and to prevent the use of arms," Haniya said.

"The government will use all its powers to impose the law," and "justice" he warned, stressing that the meeting had "broken the ground for positive relations," between the two parties, whose relations have deteriorated since Hamas won legislative elections in January and taken power in March.

According to the joint statement, read by Hilles, the two movements are also calling for an end to "mutual accusations inside mosques, in the media and on the internet".

"Dialogue is the only option to solve our differences," he insisted.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While this does seem surprising, this move is long overdue. It is about time that the Palestinians learn that weapons and politics do not mix and should be separated. It is hopeful that if the Palestian government can enforce their ban on weapons, not only will the fighting among themselves will end, but perhaps Israel will now accept the Hamas led government for taking such an initiative.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I believe this happened because of the fact that the Hamas led government is in dire need of revenue.

The United States has all but suspended any aid to the Palestinians while Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern nations have said that they will send the Palestinians their much needed revenue, they may find it difficult to actually get it to the Hamas-led government (some kind of World Bank 'red-tape' I think).

I was listening to NPR today and there was a discussion on the situation so I can't provide a link.

BTW, it's about time that someone makes a move to curb the violence in the region.

Preferably the ones who are in physical contact with the Israelis on a day to day basis.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I honestly find it appalling that noone on this board has anything good to say about this move, but as soon as a suicide bomber goes off they begin ranting like lunatics about how horrible and evil this authority is, even when it was not under their control.

I am honestly proud of the leadership for making such a drastic and brave move. This kind of action could put many of those leaders lives at risk (by people on both sides of the fence, particularly those who do not want to see violence end on both sides of the fence).

However, I am curious to see how the government will go about enforcing this ban.

new topics

join