It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quartet agrees to channel aid to Palestinians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
U.S. gives in, agrees to give aid to the Palestinians. The US states that the Palestinians need a "temporary international mechanism" to help prevent their government from going under and more violence.

today.r euters.com
By Sue Pleming

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The quartet of Middle East peace brokers agreed on Tuesday on a new way to get direct aid to the Palestinians, who have seen most foreign aid frozen since the election of the militant group Hamas.

The United States, which has taken a tough stand against Hamas, caved to pressure from quartet members Russia, the European Union and the United Nations that a "temporary international mechanism" was needed to avoid the financial collapse of the Palestinian Authority and more violence.

After Hamas won elections and formed a government in March, the United States and the European Union cut off direct financial aid for the Palestinian Authority.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Personally I don't see this making too much sense since Hammas still has a military wing and Hammas still has suicide bombers blowing themselves up. Does this imply that the U.S. is now funding terrorism?

Why do we choose to prop up this terrorist orginization?

I believe this aid is a nice olive branch from the US to the Palestinians during a troubled time, will they be willing to accept this olive branch? I'm sure they will take the green(the money) but will they learn how to stop blowing themselves up?

Many Palestinians are a proud people, proud to the point where they would rather blow themselves up than live to see a two state solution to the Israel/Palestinian conflict. I say let Iran support them or let them support themselves. If Hammas will not give up its military wing, let them die like the terrorists they are.

Related News Links:
today. reuters.com

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The US definitly shouldn't be giving money to support the government, ie to pay government employees, even if those employees are an important part of the palestinian economy. Any money spent for the people is money that Hamas doesn't have to take away from its terror campaign.

Let Saudi arabia, Jordan, and Iran bail out the PA.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I completely agree, it seems rediculous that Hammas, the same people who blow themselves to bits in the streets are given money by our government.

We should leave them out to dry just like Hammas/Palestine's supposed allies have done.

Appeasing Hammas is appeasing terrorism. Hammas will never negotiate a settlement. If the leaders of Hammas do negotiate a settlement there will still be terrorism because at least half of Hammas does not want to see the Israelis anywhere in the Muslim world.

As bad as it sounds, any Palestinian that dies is one less terrorist we have to worry about.

Palestinians have the same choice as anyone in the Western world. If you don't work and make money for yourself you might starve to death.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think we have gotten into splitting hairs a bit to agree to the proposed aid plan. No one really wants to see the Palestinian people seriously deprived of medical aid, humanitarian aid and essential services, but at the same time no one wants to contribute to the health & well being of the organization Hamas because of their recalcitrance in accepting Israel as a legitimate nation. Perhaps the West is bending a bit in order to get backing for it's stance on Iran.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
While no one, wants to see harm come to the Palestinian people is it worth risking what they will do with the money? Do you remember how Saddam spent the money that we gave him? While aid could feed their people their leaders seem more interested in strapping suicide belts to people rather than providing them with their basic needs!

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I feel compelled to clarify a few things.

1.) The money isn't going to Hammas, it's going to the Palestinian people in order to prevent an impending humanitarian crisis.

2.) The U.S. has been doing everything it can to avoid giving money to Hammas, and this most recent bill received a very cold welcome in the U.S. However, as our reputation with the rest of the world has taken a nosedive a la Bush, it was either this or get blamed for causing the starvation of thousands of "innocents".

That said, I'd actually prefer a humanitarian crisis because it's the only way to solidly demonstrate to the Palenstinians that their choice of leadership was downright moronic, without any intervention on our part whatsoever. If a government fails to provide for its people, then that government has failed and needs to be replaced. Since they democratically elected Hammas, they can bloody well starve for all I care.

If I have to suffer the loss of rights because we elected an idiot tyrant as president in America, then the Pals can suffer starvation for electing a terrorist party as their leaders. Crippling suffering and death are usually the only things that get voters attention.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The Palestinian people have supposedly made an "informed" choice by voting HAMAS into power. They have no right to complain about the consequences that follow this decision. As I see it , the Palestinians have made their decision and fully accept all the consequences for their actions.
Resuming financial assistance even in part to the Palestinians is in fact a victory for HAMAS against the US and it would be equal to endorsing the Palestinian’s choice in Hamas.

These people should be allowed to be dragged into the depths of penury and fall some more until they realize that their actions have consequences and what the west thinks is actually important to their survival. Also with the Middle east lavishing in petro dollars and the like it is amazing that they allow their fellow Muslim brothers starve to death. Apparently in the Muslim world there is no dearth of people to dump millions into terrorists hands but when it comes to helping out in feeding the Palestinian people we hear a deafening silence from the purveyors to the Islam faith. Hypocrites to the core!

Iran will gleefully spend millions if not billions on making weapons of mass destruction but apparently can only afford to provide a pittance to its Palestinian "brothers" ? Apparently funding Hezbollah is what they consider as "financial aid" to Palestine!

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   
the only problem is money that is given by arab nations to palistain isnt getting through because banks are afraid the US will freaze their assets.
so thanks to the USs predujice towards hamas millions of palistain lives are at stake,

the palistains are mostly dependeednt on aid because theur ecoenmy is the most fragile you can get
they cant trade with anyone because the boarders are open and closed by a
Israel so produce is thrown away which can be sold

[edit on 10-5-2006 by bodrul]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I see in today's stories an article saying Israel will also release some of the money they have been holding back from the Palestinians. Perhaps the humanitarian crisis developing in Palestine is more serious than is being reported in the western press.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer70
Perhaps the humanitarian crisis developing in Palestine is more serious than is being reported in the western press.

The scale of crisis really has no bearing on how much aid anyone receives. If that were the case, the the AIDS epidemic in Africa (1 in 3 have HIV) would be the top of everyone's list.

What determines who gets what is the same as in physics: whoever has control of the money must be persuaded to either give, or not give. When the pressure is applied in either direction, with enough force, the money will follow.

posted on May, 12 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
It is sad that Israel is beign forced into relenting so easily. The palestinian people choose their fate by electing Hamas, they must also accept their fate and starve.

The gullible UN and its dysfunctional organisations are all to willing to cloth, feed and shelter terrorists in the name of humanity but will do little to protect those who die in restraunts and street cafes from suicide bombs.
Atlest when they starve they hopefully will not be able to spend much time firing rockets or buliding suicide vests to take out innocent civilians.

Israel should be exonerated from responsibility over the Palestinians and allow Palestinians to experience true consequence, for it is written that as they sow so shall they reap. They sow death and hatered and they shall receive accordingly.

By backing off now and Israel will have lost the battle, the world would have lost the battle politicaly. It is time for people to put their hearts aside and use their heads. When people starve they think of only food not killing their neighbours.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
While that is certainly a hard line attitude IAF101, you may be absolutely correct. I don't have much sympathy for adult palestinians of voting age, but I can't help but be concerned for the children of the area.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
arab nations to palistain isnt getting through because banks are afraid the US will freaze their assets.
so thanks to the USs predujice towards hamas millions of palistain lives are at stake

The US freezes the assets of banks that it has influence over for money going to terrorist organizations. If the arabs actualyl wanted to give money to the palestinians, they could easily do so, they ahve their own banks, and the humanitarian organizations can be given the money, the very same ones that the US is planning on giving money to.
But they're not. Because they don't care about the palestinian people.

top topics

join