It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buying More Ram

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, I want to buy more/new but no idea what my computer takes. I took one out and wrote down the info but not sure what it all means...

SamSung 449
256MB
1Rx8
PC2-3200E-333-10-A1
then on the side next to the little gold pins it says 120, and I counted them, there are 120 there.

WHat is the speed, CAS Latency, and Voltage? I know it is DDR2, and the easy stuff like manufactor is SamSung, it is 256MB, but what does the 3200E mean, 333, A1, so forth.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Here is a program that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your computer.

downloads.guru3d.com...

It can tell you everything about your puter.

For buying more ram, you will need to know what type/speed and how much(big) you want.

For example, i use ddr400=pc3200 2X 1 gig sticks for a total of 2 gigs of ram.
Most ram is sold in 128,256,512 megs per stick or 1,2 gigs per stick.

Once you learn what you have and find what you want, i will tell you how to take full advantage of it-BTW, i am assuming you hae a windows machine.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Here is a program that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about your computer.

downloads.guru3d.com...

It can tell you everything about your puter.

For buying more ram, you will need to know what type/speed and how much(big) you want.

For example, i use ddr400=pc3200 2X 1 gig sticks for a total of 2 gigs of ram.
Most ram is sold in 128,256,512 megs per stick or 1,2 gigs per stick.

Once you learn what you have and find what you want, i will tell you how to take full advantage of it-BTW, i am assuming you hae a windows machine.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I install this small program on every machine I work with because it's free, and it gives you a complete list of what's installed in your computer. It will list all your hardware and software, tell you what slots are available, etc........
The software will let you know what make and model each piece of hardware is, what versions of your software are installed and if they are up to date.

It will let you know what type of RAM you have installed without pulling open the tower and removing the stick. You can write down the information or print it out to take shopping with you.

You can download it for free at this link.
www.belarc.com...

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
www.crucial.com...

I'm an idiot with ram myself and I've installed several upgrades sucessfully by using the tools on crucial's site. Their prices are usually pretty good too.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   
^^^ to add to what dbates has stated ...

Not only is Crucial memory some of the best available, it is also the "high end" division of Micron Technologies. Micron is one of the few memory manufacturers in the U.S. that actually produce entire memory modules [i.e. chips and boards].

Many other companies may produce the finished product, but it is most often a combination of chips and/or wafer boards purchased from other manufacturers.

I have always had excellent results when using their products and, as mentioned, the prices are reasonable as well. Currently 4 X 1Gb PC3200

You may find cheaper elsewhere but when it comes to memory you really shouldn't short-change your PC. It truly is one of the most vital components for long term reliability and perfomance.

$.02

posted on May, 16 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Ok, its...

DDR 2 240Pin, 3200E as said, and ECC Yes, want ECC no since ECC runs slower, and will sell those when I get my upgrade. Here is what I was looking at...

www.newegg.com...

new topics

top topics

join