It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare mirage appears off east China shore

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:36 PM
link   
www.chinadaily.com.cn...

Thousands of tourists and local residents witnessed a mirage of high clarity lasting for four hours off the shore of Penglai City in east China's Shandong Province on Sunday

I knew mirages can materialize, but with buildings, highways, people, etc?

This is a very strange story!

I thought it happened mainly in the desert as you're crawling around for water in a haze...

Anyway, i thought it was interesting.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   
w0w...

that is crazy...

i wish i could have seen that...

the only mirages that i have seen are the ones on the highways

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Interesting but, I looked at the pic but could not see anything like what the article described, are there any better pics available?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Under certain conditions of an atmospheric inversion layer, over the horizon is reflected in the sky. Looking out into the desert from an angle under an inversion layer with the sun behind the inversion, a distant mountain range can be seen, upside down in the sky, which is over the horizon normally.

Maybe some kind of reflection from a city on the coast?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
According to that article, its happened before in the same spot!

Another dimension maybe?

I wish i could find more info on this- it doesnt go into great detail

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Thats pretty cool.

there is a place on the coast of japan where this happens too.
They call em "Shimayose" , floating islands.
I'd love to see something like that in person..

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Space,
I just read where you refer to yourself as aluminaughty

I needed that. Anyway, this almost could be a ghost appearance like those ships sailors see that are ghosts hundreds of years old. does anyone think this is more than a mirage?

I know my mind works in strange ways, that's a gift i have

But really, maybe another dimension?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
It's ok DG,
YOU, are not alone in your thoughts.

check out this page, there are 3 examples there

Mirage et troi

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Wow, that is incredible! Thank you for the link!

How incredible it must be to be there and witness this.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
dgtempe, I too feel that maybe the spectators got a rare view of a parallel dimension. Jeeze, wish I run up on something like that

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Here is a much better picture, you can actually see the buildings and distinguish windows and it's pretty awesome. I agree with whomever suggested it, perhaps we are getting glimpses into another dimension.

news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:16 AM
link   
OMG,

That is incredibly freaky!!! Wow, what a picture! It makes you wonder what this world we live in is really all about. Someone said there's another dimension just a couple of feet above this one.
Thank you for that link, Goose- Its a sight to behold!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Here is a link to a couple other pictures with a higher resolution

en.chinabroadcast.cn...@85556.htm

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Woah! Thats amazing! First time I've ever seen a real mirage, and I never though they could be that detailed and large!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Mmmmmm.... it does not say what it's a reflection of. I'm sure someone there must know if it's a relection/image of another town or city somewhere along the coast...but where?
Incredible images though

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
If these photo's arent faked then I say that we are seeing another unexplained or uncomprehendable phenomena that likely occurs more often but never quite captured so vividly. Very Fast times we live in today. Makes you think.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by VType]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Wow that is really cool/interesting/ etc (i need that wheel from teh sprint commercial).

In regards to dimensions i just started reading up on string theory and "teh theory of everything" yesterday. It turns out (that at least on paper) they can prove there are at least 11 dimensions. Wish i know more about the subject though.

Gret find either way.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Under certain conditions of an atmospheric inversion layer, over the horizon is reflected in the sky. Looking out into the desert from an angle under an inversion layer with the sun behind the inversion, a distant mountain range can be seen, upside down in the sky, which is over the horizon normally.

Yup, it's time to inteject some science in here!

Mirages are, as Dezert said, simply a trick of the atmosphere. It requires certain conditions (a layer of very hot air under a layer of very cool air) and certain light conditions.

Here's an article from "How stuff works" :
science.howstuffworks.com...

Here's the "cut to the chase" page:
science.howstuffworks.com...

Mirages can also be pretty complex, with inverted areas:
mintaka.sdsu.edu...

Maybe some kind of reflection from a city on the coast?

That's it, exactly. It's not a city in another dimension or anything of the kind. If you were familiar with the local cities, you could identify it very quickly.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Byrd]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Mirage PengLai is famous for natural miracle "Mirage","Mirage"usually appears in the sea surface of northern PengLai pavilion.Last year,on October 24th,25th and December 16th,it appeared three times,This year,from 5:20 am on August,but this year it has become "gate-crasher",whichever season it is,people are possible to meet unexpectedly with it.
on the sea surface,first it takes on red bend,then it turns to purple and then it changes frequently which is hard to tell the truth and falsehood...continues plta.gov.cn

Sounds like some sort of light and atmosphere phenomena. Absolutely amazing.

sanc

[edit on 9-5-2006 by sanctum]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Exactly, not other dimensions, just a reflection from other parts of the Chinese city.

Sometimes I wish people would stop assuming things are other-dimensional, or spiritual in nature.

That causes two problems:

-People that will believe anything before ruling out a rational explanation.

-Turning people like me into a snarly skeptic more and more each day, don't ruin my lifes illusions, they are getting hard to come by, first god, then this, what next
!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join