It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's behind mysterious booms?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
if it was magnetic and it did that to steel door, then what about cars, metal dustbins, power lines etc etc

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wiley_Wonka
but I never saw a plane. Very odd,

That wouldn't be odd. IF it was a plane travelling at several times the speed of sound... by the time you heard the BOOM and looked up, the plane would be long gone from where your ears are telling you to look.

Here's a shot of Pusser's Rum to Laes Yvan
I will go with that "theory"

Aurora is just a toy to appease the public seekers. Wait till ya see what "they" really have.

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I want to know if the rail gun the navy is developing for the DDX could make a boom like this? I'm not sure how big the projectile it fires is, but I want to say something like 20-30lbs
but it goes about mach 7 so I would imagine that would create some noise.

It could have also been some new coilgun/gauss cannon test or a scram round or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SMR
Phenomena produce theories, but no answers
By Alex Roth
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 23, 2006

Life can serve up a good mystery every once in a while. Weird things happen that defy explanation, that make us wonder how much we really know about the world.
Something of the sort happened in San Diego County shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, April 4, and so far no one has come forward with an explanation.

Whatever it was, it caused a woman's bed to shake in Lakeside. It created waves in a backyard pool in Carmel Valley. It set off car alarms in Kearny Mesa and rattled windows from Mission Beach to Poway to Vista. At various spots throughout the county, people reported a rumbling sound or a booming noise.
Scientists insist it wasn't an earthquake. The Federal Aviation Administration has no record of any planes producing a sonic boom by breaking the sound barrier.

Camp Pendleton officials say no activities on the Marine base could have created such a disturbance. There were no large explosions in San Diego County that day, and no meteor fireballs were reported in the sky that morning.

What was it, then?

“My garage door is double steel and it weighs about 500 lbs. It was rattling back and forth like a leaf in the wind for about 3 or 4 seconds.”
– e-mail from University City resident on April 4 disturbance

SOURCE and more to article

Mystery disturbance traced to sound wave

Scripps scientists say it traveled over the ocean to desert
By Alex Roth
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

April 27, 2006

A group of local scientists has uncovered some clues to the source of a mysterious disturbance that rattled San Diego County on the morning of April 4, shaking windows, doors and bookcases from the coast to the mountains.

The scientists, based at Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, say the disturbance was caused by a sound wave that started over the ocean and petered out over the Imperial County desert. Using data from more than two dozen seismometers, they traced its likely origin to a spot roughly 120 miles off the San Diego coast.
That spot is in the general vicinity of Warning Area 291, a huge swath of ocean used for military training exercises. The Navy operates a live-fire range on San Clemente Island, which is within Warning Area 291 and sits about 65 miles from Mission Bay.

The researchers also have charted dozens of similar, if less dramatic, incidents that seem to have originated in the same general area of the ocean. They aren't sure what caused any of them.

Peter Shearer, a Scripps professor involved in the research, has no idea whether the April 4 disturbance was natural or made by humans.

Steve Fiebing, a Coronado-based Navy spokesman, said the live-fire range on San Clemente Island was inactive April 4. He also said there was no Navy or Marine Corps flight activity in Warning Area 291 on that day that would have caused a sonic boom or a countywide tremor.

The area, also known in military circles as Whiskey 291, covers 1 million square miles and is off-limits to civilian planes and ships, Fiebing said.

“There was no unusual training that would have caused anything close to what people here felt,” he said.

Cmdr. William Fenick, another local Navy spokesman, said no San Diego-based warships were conducting operations in Warning Area 291 that day.

A new experimental extremely powerful SONAR.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CIS001
if it was magnetic and it did that to steel door, then what about cars, metal dustbins, power lines etc etc

hmmm , very good point -- magnetic forces predominantly affect the MASS not the volume , or surface area of an object -- ergo your tea sppons would be bursting out the drawer before a 400lb door moved a milimeter

note to self -- dont post theories right after a nap

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

An interesting thing is, we have this sorta HAARP thing in San Diego.Along Imperial Beach strand you can view this huge structure of antena.Here is a Google Maps shot you can zoom in on.Not much you can see from there, but here is an image to give you an idea.

This is/was known as AN/FRD-10 CLASSIC BULLSEYE which was shut down in the 1990's

The mission was completely shutdown in '99. I had the "honor" of being part of the crew that removed all the equipment in the building and "de-SCIF'd" it, along with standing security watch in the empty building until it was finished being "de-SCIF'd". The command moved to North Island NAS up the strand.

It was "fun" being the Watch Officer on duty there sometimes. Especially when the dead bodies and raw sewage from Mexico would wash up on shore.

what could it be being used for now?

NOTHING, last i saw in 2005. The gates were padlocked. The buildings were empty and padlocked. Navy security still made security rounds. The beach was also used by drug dealers and for deliveries.

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
~~

the same type of 'mysterious booms'
have been happening along the SC coast for years, in my experience.

there are also 'mysterious booms' up in the mountains, reported as far
back as Colonial America, and Cherokee Nation peoples before then...

but these west coast 'booms' are related to water, as in Pacific Ocean
and our east coast 'booms' seem to come from the offshore Atlantic Ocean
So, here's one pausable cause for some 'mysterious booms'

compressed air, escaping out the 'trumpet' end of a rather long cresting wave.
~it would take an extremely unlikely series of exact conditions,
but a almost super-sonic rush of air could be created as a wave collapsed
and the velocity of air made a 'boom' noise....it would be very directional,
and probably not heard a 1/4 mile from where the compressed air blasted out
like a trumpet sound...
that directional blast/boom may well travel in a very confined cone for many miles inland however.

does that idea jog any scientist-physics oriented member of ATS to ponder
the possible validity of such a theory??

cheer-io

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
thats a very interesting and I suppose plausible theory St Udio, but rail guns, super secret sonar technology and black aircraft are more fun to think about than a wave pushing air out of the pipeline

I also find it too much of a coincidence that the sound originated from Warning Area 291 for it to be a wave or some act of nature but you never know.

I also get a laugh out of how the military always claims innocence after events like this one

posted on Jul, 4 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
People for years in L.A. have been reporting "skyquakes" which has led to speculation about the Aurora. Its worth nothing that L.A. and sometimes San Diego are under the flightpaths used by Area 51 when testing the goods.

That's a good point. I live in the fairfax area....native los angelino...and over the past six months there have been a couple of odd incidents.

About five months ago, pretty sure it was a friday night there were a succession of about thirty(maybe less but definitely between twenty and thirty) very loud booms.

They repeated a few in a row then a pause sometimes staccato, very close together sometimes spread out in their repeating pattern and this went on for at least an hour. Nothing shook and it certainly didn't sound or feel like an earthquake. Again I'm born and raised in L.A. and definitely know what an earthquake or tremor feels like.

Anyway, I just thought it was odd. Perhaps construction/demolition but there wasn't a peep about it on the news and in L.A. we love explosions and car chases those are always covered by the news.

Still just filed it away as an oddity. It then happend again but to a much lesser extent about two months ago same boom sounds but again way less like only five or six.

Both times the sounds seemed to come from the west, santa monica perhaps even further out.

If there are any other los angelinos reading this perhaps they remember the incident and actually have an explanation.

Don't know if what something simple that I missed. But again a big set explosion wether for a film or construction would have made the local news especially something that big, but there wasn't a peep.

They sound like two different events because it was just noise no tremors but perhaps in some way related.

Very interesting thread.

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Think about all the stories of "strange booms" or "machine noises" coming from all over the US since 9-11. Then there were even just the general stories about the higher ups like for perfect example the Vice Prez building underground bunkers.

There is a really simple answer to all of this.

It also ties together a bunch of loose ends in the giant conspiracy itself.

The US Gov is building all sorts of underground networks and bunkers. BIG DEEP ONES... because it fully expects to get nuked.

And I mean THE ENTIRE US GOVERNMENT itself. This is why there is no democratic party rising up against the republicans in just about every aspect of the Bush administration. This is why there is no real investigation in to the disasters that have happened to the US, including the financial one (they knew that was coming).

All of the elites in the gov made a deal to save their own asses. This is why some are in on it and others they killed off like Paul Wellstone. I mean its just so damn obvious is it not?

They can impeach Clinton over a blow job but what Bush has done hasn't been investigated in the least? People got promoted when they screwed up on 9-11?

This is also why a lot of people had to "die" on 9-11 .. those people are not dead at all. They are in the bunkers, and if you examine the passenger list for flight 77, they are JUST the people you would want in a bunker during a war in the first place. Some peoples loved ones have been stashed away there like Barbera Olson for example.

This is why you should be worried that we will NOT get through to the next election. There will not be one, because who ever gets in will find out all the stuff that was done during this administration and freek out.

Anyways, I thought it was easy to see.

-VMX

posted on Jul, 19 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Personally, I nominate Taco Bell as the root cause.

If you go back and read the official responses, they're incredibly specific. I usually see the PR officers do that in order to mislead without overtly lying. Not that they won't just lie their asses off too, but a lot of times they try to make their lives more interesting and enjoyable by telling you the literal truth and letting you draw the wrong conclusion.

You'll see a lot of "it was nothing the Marines were doing" "there were no supersonic Navy aircraft in the area" etc, take it as being literally true. If no Navy aircraft were in the area, then whose were? Notice that they did not say NO aircraft of any sort were in the area.

This opens it up to a lot of interpretation. Such as, were any aerospace vehicles reentering over the restricted area. Or perhaps, what sort of Naval vessels were in the area at the time.

While I don't hold out much in the way of belief in sound waves causing earthquakes, one might ask our Navy brethren about tightly directed shock waves being used, for example, to disrupt the cavitation bubble around supersonic torpedoes, or as the little rumor mill grinds, even to knock out standard torps at a distance from the ship. Heh.

Oh, and the HAARP thing and the steel door are right out. Not only couldn't HAARP do it, but just as a matter of physics the available power in magnetic fields produced by coils coupled into a flat plate falls off as something like the sixth power of the distance. You could channel an H-bomb into a magnetic field in Alaska and not roll a ball bearing in San Clemente.

The clue here is that the door has a very large surface area, and the garage was somewhat sealed. It's acting like a sort of reverse speaker. Whatever did this caused a big low frequency airwave. Even just a few millibars of low frequency pressure wave spread over a big door like that can cause surprising movements.

posted on Jul, 20 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I'm an audio engineer. A 7 Hz tone ( difficult to produce if you think about it ), will produce a response in your central nervous system. You will loose control of your bodily functions. Tones in that range can make you physically ill ( and they are inaudible ). The range of human hearing is about 35 Hz to 20 Khz. 130 decibels is the threshold of pain in the human ear. EVERYTHING has a " resonate frequency ".
I've been hearing about new ' sound weapons '....I don't think they'd play with earthquakes so close to home. What you're describing is actual pressure being spread out over a relatively vast area. I'll be thinking about this for awhile...I'll let you know if I find anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Today in the morning, around 6-8 am I heard a big noise, now in the night I come to search for something related in ATS and found this thread. The fact that this thread puts emphasis in the Socal area, and that I live in Baja, Mexico makes me believe this is what I heard.

and uh.. it was HUGE, never in my life I´ve heard something like it. I was in bed, it wake me up but I didnt look in the window to see, at the moment I didnt realized how huge it was.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Not sure if I should start a new thread since this one is old. But I've just heard over 8 booms and my house windows are shaking. I live in encinitas about 15 miles from Camp Pendelton. Its feels more like a shock wave thats shaking my house and windows. When I go out side I can feel and hear it but see no flash in the sky. I am certain its coming from the Pendelton area north of me. Can anyone confirm that Pendelton is the sorce of these shock waves. If so, what the source of the boom??

posted on Dec, 22 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Well, we had another one here in San Diego last night. Military denies anything and no reports of earthquakes.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
As to the sounds near Camp Pendelton, perhaps it was artillary? I used to be stationed at Camp lejeune and also Camp Pendelton, arty would sound similar to that.

I've been hearing alot about the SR-3/TR-3,etc. etc.,that it leave a good shock wave behind....IMHO its a experiemtnal aircraft being tested over the ocean.

Another random thought....maybe they are testing "Rods from God"??

[edit on 1-1-2010 by JJRichey]

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Whatever it was i doubt it was extraterrestrial...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join