It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia Police Station Attacked by One or More Snipers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
A terrible shooting has just taken place near Virginia, at least one gunman, perhaps working with an accomplice, attacked a suburban police station. Four officers wounded at the station, with the gunman apparently dead of a gunshot wound. The officers are being treated for their wounds at a nearby hospital. Police are looking for information regarding possible accomplices, who may have escaped the scene.

www.cbsnews.com
A spokesman for the Fairfax County Police Department said the shooting happened at a district station near Chantilly, Virginia.

"It was unprovoked and unexplainable," said Fairfax County Chairman of the Board of Supervisors Gerald Connolly.

A police spokeswoman said authorities are searching for at least one suspect, but it's not clear whether that person had been shot. A helicopter flew at least two of the injured people to Inova Hospital in Fairfax, Virginia.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be anything, a grudge against an officer, or a disgruntled former officer, or a terrorist attack. At this point, who knows? I'm trying to find more information about this story.

More on this, a school was locked down, and the kids are being held until their parents come to get them.

Link

Lt. Mike Fish, a spokesman for the Fairfax County Police Department, said the shootings occurred about 3:30 p.m. at the Sully District Station. The officers and one suspect were taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, but authorities would not detail their conditions or release their identities.

Nearby Westfield High School was in lockdown.

"All the students are being housed right now in our auditorium and gymnasium and we're not releasing them until parents come and pick them up," principal Mike Campbell told WRC-TV.

Update: This article is now claiming two officers wounded, as opposed to the original four.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Update Yet Again: Now the FBI is involved, and handling the press?
edition.cnn.com...

Apparently there's also a suspect who was taken to the hospital. They're not saying if he's dead or not anymore. Also, this article confirms 2 wounded, plus the suspect, that's three. If there was another suspect dead at the scene, that would make four shot, which was the intitial report. Four cops shot each other? Is that what I'm to understand? Or were there two more cops injured, but not seriously enough to go to the hospital?

www.chron.com...

Talk about developing story-itis..this thing is positively protean. Check this out, now apparently it's a sniper and an officer dead, with another sniper on the loose.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

[edit on 8-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Another update:

Link

Police were possibly searching for at least one other suspect, said Gerry Connolly, the chairman of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors.

"The sniper is dead," Connolly told reporters.

Mike Fish, a police spokesman, said officers were trying to determine if a second suspect was involved.

If you're wondering what the board of supervisors knows about it, their offices are in the station house.

Here's some info on a vehicle that police are looking for in connection with the shooting.

washingtontimes.com...

Police were looking for for a white Ford F-250 pickup truck that could have been involved in the shootings.The truck has Virginia plates JPK 8892.

Update: They found the truck.

www.nbc4.com...

Police are searching for at least one other possible suspect. Police have not confirmed that a second person was involved, but are searching in a Centreville area.

More information coming in, the suspect who was killed during the shootout (either by his own hand or the return fire coming from the police station) was a teenager, 18 years old.

www.usatoday.com...

Police did not disclose the 18-year-old assailant's motive or identify him. They also were uncertain whether he shot himself or was killed in the exhange of gunfire in the parking lot of the Sully District Station during the 3:30 p.m. attack.

Mary Ann Jennings, a Fairfax County police spokeswoman, said the gunman had a rifle and two handguns and had stolen a van that he drove to the station after unsuccessfully attempting to carjack a pickup.

Is that how the pickup fits in to this? Does that make sense?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
It appears the notion of one or more accomplices was incorrect, according to the Fairfax Chief of Police.

www.cnn.com...

Rohrer said the gunman targeted the officers. Earlier reports that two gunmen were involved -- which had prompted a search of the area -- were erroneous, he said.

That first sentence there, said the gunman targetted the officers. I don't know if he means personally, or generally. Did he mean to shoot any detective, or one or more in particular?

I don't know if we'll hear anything about the causes behind this. Could just be as simple as a lone gunman. In case anyone doesn't know, the sniper case is ongoing, the suspect in that case is protesting his innocence and he's right when he says nobody saw HIM.

www.fox5dc.com...

Muhammad says he is innocent and is defending himself. He has tried to show that no one actually saw him firing the shots. On Friday, he asked witnesses if they saw the shooter — all said no. He is also trying to have his case moved. And he wants the jury, impaneled last week, removed because most said they already believed he was guilty.

If it was a sniper today (and not a suicide by cop), if there were accomplices, it's covered up now. I suppose the police could have a justifiable need to cover it up, citing public safety and the need to control panic. It will be interesting to see what picture emerges of the young suspect.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Sincerest condolences to the family of fallen and wounded officers- my heart goes out to them.

AS far as the terrorism angle goes right now, very little could solidify more terror. A strike on law and order, in a suburban environment? The target is supposed to prevent these sorts of occurences. The washington sniper case struck a lot of fear into the hearts of people, and tied up a lot of resources. I hope that the dead man was the only sniper, I sincerely do.

DE

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
if you disregard the original date anticipated in the story, it could have something to do with this:

MS 13 Plans to Kill American Police Officers on 10/30: Mara Salvatrucha 13

i know i'm reaching here, but it's a possibility considering the exponential increase in ms13 violence in the northern va area over the last few years.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I hadn't thought of that snafu. It isn't 10/30, but it is 8/5... And incidentally, the department in question went 66 years without violence (since its inception), until 06...

I never know what to think about those sorts of coincidences. They pop up everywhere you look, the more interested you are in them. It becomes a self-reinforcing delusion in the worst cases.

It could be coincidence, it could definitely be coincidence, but it doesn't hurt to consider alternatives, taking into the numbers associated with an event. Something to think about...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Reminds me of Assault of Precinct 13.

In that movie it turned out to be the Cops who attacked other Cops.

Who knows....

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Didn't something happen a while back at another Police Station in Falls Church on Columbia Pike. The only reason why I remember is becuase my cuz lives right across the street. Something took place at the station very similiar.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
i was on my way home from work yesterday on the fairfax county parkway and all these unmarked police cars were whizzing by me. i was wondering what was going on and i suppose now that they were all on their way to the station which was about 5 miles from there. terrible thing! heard it was some 18 year old kid out on bail. im going to ask my coworker the real scoop later today since hes a retired fairfax county cop with ties to the station.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:27 AM
link   
One female detective was fatally wounded, a second officer in critical condition
and another with minor injuries.

The gunman was a misguided 18 year old released on bail for armed carjacking.

Here's the Washington Post write up on this.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
Reminds me of Assault of Precinct 13.

In that movie it turned out to be the Cops who attacked other Cops.

Who knows....

Was just about to say it reminded me of it too.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   

yeah i bet thats gonna go a long way to getting him probation for the carjacking.

Well, considering he was killed during the gunfight its sort of a moot point isn't it.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Apparently Fairfax County Police had picked him up earlier on a warrant from Montgomery County
MD.

He returned after being released on bond.

He drove to the police station in another hijacked vehicle.

I can only guess that he may have chosen this tragic ending over being sent to prison.

What amazed me was that he managed to get ahold of an assault rifle, firing approximately 70 rounds before he was taken down by police.

The detective who perished in the ambush was hit by 5 rounds according to todays report.

We can only hope that the other officer pulls through.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I actually knew of the guy (or atleast met him at a party before so its not like he's my best buddy). But its sad to see an angry kid take it out on "The Establishment" instead of blowing off steam another way. He knew he was gonna die when he decided to pull something crazy like that, still kind of confused on how he got an automatic AR
? ? Then again anything is possible seeing as we had/have some pretty lenient gun laws.

But yeah, I was on my way to manassas at the time so i passed a block away from that station while this was happening, they were actually searching every car that passed ... and not randomly ... every car.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Wow! this is truly shocking. My thoughts go out to the wounded police officers from this heinous ambush. However, I find this incident a little weird. Now we have heard the anti-second amendment notions from the left and the government of late. Now allow me to put on my tin-hat, and let me speculate a little. Could this be an element of the CIA or government to stage an act as heinous as this to validate their claims for disarmament of the American public?

Now this is a conspiracy and a speculative analysis of events from Virginia, but given the recent track record with the Federal Government, anything is possible and probable. This event is the most striking of all the past mass shootings and could give the government the leverage to take away our second amendment rights. If they are able to pull it off, then we are all in for a world of hurt.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Whats is it with some people, way way too much freaky characters out there. Attacking a police station, i mean lets be real, you obviously have delusional problems and i wont even approach the gun laws issue.

So i guess its only a matter of time linking him to some conspiracy site or alternative news.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is from May 2006.

Peace

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
This is from May 2006.

Peace
Now ya tell me!!

I just cross posted this to another forum

I have also deleated the thread I posted over there. *oh for shame*