It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remake of Marine One cost 6.1 billion dollars!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

After decades of upgrades to a fleet of notoriously cramped Sikorsky VH-3 Sea Kings, the White House has tasked Lockheed Martin with a dramatic, $6.1-billion makeover of Marine One, the presidential helicopter, starting this summer. The goal: to fit a mobile Oval Office into the tight quarters of a chopper. The new fleet will consist of 23 VH-71 aircraft, each of which will have 200 square feet of cabin space, nearly double the Sea King’s 116.

Aside from the legroom, the copter will incorporate major upgrades to the old defense and communications systems. Equally important is that the aircraft is flight-proven—the $110-million bird is derived from a European-built AgustaWestland EH101, currently doing military service for Canada and the U.K. Here, an inside look at the revamped Marine One, set to gradually go into service between 2009 and 2014.

Thats more expensive than an aircraft carrier. Sure they actually meant the remake of the whole entire fleet of the presidential helicopters.

Nevermind, they say the whole thing, read to fast, 23 new helos.

O yeah I wonder how the mini Oval office look like in that helo, blue carpet maybe, with the seal on it, along with two small chairs for the advisers..
[edit on 8-5-2006 by deltaboy]

[edit on 8-5-2006 by deltaboy]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   
why so many helis? there arent 23 prez at once lol...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Because it's not just one or two helicopters that are used to transport him. It's an entire squadron and they pick a couple from the squadron to be Marine One for that trip. They usually bring three along with them when they go somewhere, two or three for flying around in the DC area, plus you always have at least two down for checks on any given day, and a couple that are just broken, and some are used to fly Senators or other VIPs around the city, or wherever.....

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hmmm...we can either build homes for a few million people, or we can specially configure 23 expensive helicopters to ferry some overpaid prow-decoration around the world in the style befitting a French monarch.

Ridiculous...

We're flushing an INSANE amount of money down the toilet, and for what? So he can stretch his feet and catch a quick shower on the way to his next shrimp cocktail? If it must be spent on the president, spend it on an education so he can lead better. If it must be spent on helicopters, spend it on retrofitting troop-carriers to better protect the soldiers.

Bah!

Edit: No shower, just a toilet I guess. Well, if he contracts a pilot experienced in doing rolling tumbles, he can improvise. I probably shouldn't say he, our next president could very well be a woman.

[edit on 8-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Or maybe free up some of "the saucers" for executive use? LOL. They're already paid for! Seriously, if I was in need of rescue and a Sea King was overhead I'd accept a ride but I'd be worried about getting my feet on terra-firma in a not uncontrolled manner. The EH's aren't without their hassles either. I think America should have gone with the Sikorsky - NY needs the jobs.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Not a bad looking machine.
I like the part about the fold down stairs so that the President won't have to bend over when he exits the craft. Makes for a better photo op...

Cabin: Measuring eight feet wide and 25 feet long, the cabin will include a lavatory and a galley kitchen. The fold-down stair spares the president from ducking during photogenic entrances and exits.

www.livescience.com...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I love how that's 12 times as much as the super-embassy in Iraq; you know, the one that they cut the fund in half for because it was too expensive. They must of needed that extra 600 million dollars to put towards this. With 6.1 billion dollars, they should easily be able to rebuild the entire fleet, not just enhance them...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I bet the guy that cuts the grass is pretty pissed about him parking on the lawn all the time...

Smile and wave, he's the only President you have right now.

Hernandez was quoted as saying.
" I just cut that grass, and he has to park right there.
It's like a slap in the face, it's just not right.
That wind isn't good for the flowers either, si ? "

[edit on 8/5/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You can be sure that most of that inflated amount was never funneled to this upgrade. This is the method that black projects have been funded for years.

Remember the huge scandal and subsequent 'investigation' over government contractors charging $600 for a hammer or $8000 for a toilet? If I remember correctly, General Dynamics was one of the chief 'violators' that was miraculously awarded the Sea-Wolf project the following year.

The general belief is that the government has to have ways of embedding black projects into other lines of the budget that are freely printed and available to the public as well as our concnerned enemies. If these expenditures truly have our safety and security in mind I really dont have a problem with it.

W.E.S.B.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Why is this referred to as an upgrade, remake or revamp whrn it is nothing of the sort

It is a new fleet of new helicopters, the only 're' word that applies here is 'replacement'.

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Why is this referred to as an upgrade, remake or revamp whrn it is nothing of the sort

It is a new fleet of new helicopters, the only 're' word that applies here is 'replacement'.

Well, see they are revamping and upgrading the word Marine 1! jeesh where have you been. LOL

They are trying to spin the fact that we bought a Euro manufactured chopper.

new topics

top topics

join