It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you swim?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I read this article from CNN and I was surprised to find out that swimming used to be a requirement to graduate from University.

At first it sounded rather stupid but after reading the article, it began to make a bit of sense. Historically, the requirement to know how to swim was instituted in many American Universities in an effort to develop a national water safety plan. It seems that before the 20th century, many people simply did not know how to swim. Go figure.

But it made me wonder whether the ability to swim was on the downslope of what I had always considered basic knowledge. You know, like riding a bicycle. So it prompts me to ask whether ATS/BTS members can swim. So can YOU swim? Or do you just tread water?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I swim like a fish. I'm in my mid 40s. (we should give our general age I think) Of course, I had the benefit of an aunt that taught swimming for the Red Cross. Even better, I learned to swim in surf. That's a slightly different skill.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I haven't been in water deeper than my bathtub in 20 years.
I used to swim when I was a kid, and I really liked the water. I was never a strong swimmer, but I never drowned myself either.

We have a public pool two blocks away, I should go sometime and see if I still float. It's only a couple bucks to go to the evening adult swim.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm what they call 'awkward on land'. I spent most of my childhood living on a beach and had parents who were avid beach-goers. I swam competitively for ten years. Good in water, bad on land.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
i love swimming (mostly diving from the diving boards)

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I still have my little 'Mommy and Me' cards from the local rec centre.

I learned how to swim at a very young age, I grew up on a lake. Well, not ON it, but right on the beach. It would have been dangerous for me to not know how to swim.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I love swimming, I just to swim every other night for 3 hours. I actually haven't swam in years, sadly.

The secondary school I attended partly owned the sports center (which is on the school grounds) and they had swimming as part of the physical education lessons. Used to be one of my favourite lessons.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Always played around water, but forced to take swimming lessons at age 10, hated it because I hated to put my face in the water then turn head and breathe, seemed like next to drowning. Swim instead on side, breast stroke like, with frog kick, swim laps in my pool just fine, and figure I can get to shore like this if need be. Water safety very important (I witnessed a two year old relative walk into a pool, and so many campers around lakes and rivers, plus personal watercraft and boats), so high school physical education requirement. Every year around here people die in the mountain rivers, either from shock of going from heat into ice cold water (even strong swimmers) or diving in and hitting head on rock.

new topics

top topics

join