It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War protestor must stop.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   

An anti-war protestor will have to give up his five year vigil in London following a court ruling. Brian Haw lost his legal bid to stage a round the clock demonstration against the Iraq conflict outside the Houses of Parliment.

www.sky.com...

As it states in the article, yet another stab in the back for democracy.

The end comment makes me laugh, "Police can now stop unauthorised protests which pose a "hindrance to the proper operation of parliment" and risk "serious public disorder".

I don't know that much about this guy, but from what i've heard he has conducted a peacefull vigil during his five years sat outside Parliment. Not exactly hindering the operation of Parliment, and hardly a serious public disorder risk!

More like a case of getting rid of the one guy sat outside our countries biggest kindergarten who is making the place look untidy whilst doing a good job of bring some good points to the attention of others. Can't be having none of that now can we?

I wonder what other petty ways the police and government will find to abuse this ruling?

CX.

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/5/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
That's a shame. Although I'm sure the official reason is that this ruling only applies to very extreme protests (extreme might mean duration in this case). But every court ruling is just more fuel for those with a particular agenda the ruling coincides with.

We all know this.. I guess I'm just trying to say how disgusting this is.

edit for spelling cause I'm a ninny

[edit on 10-5-2006 by please_takemyrights]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Five years round the clock protesting?

Probably mooching welfare payments off the same government hes protesting against.

With any luck he'll get a job and become a productive member of society.
[edit on 11-5-2006 by Ezekiel]

[edit on 11-5-2006 by Ezekiel]

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
That is incredibly sad to see.

Although, not suprising, given that now protestors in the US are relegated to "Free Speech Zones".

I wasn't aware that freedom of speech was only allowed in certain restriced areas, safely tucked away from the rest of society.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
More of our rights to Free Speech been eroded by the uk Government (typical)... this guy should be commended for his stance against the war in Iraq, instead of being ridiculed by the Law and Authorities, he has the thumbs up in my books

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The only 'right' that has been 'eroded' here is the one relating to geography.

This man does not have to stop his protest, he remains perfectly free to carry on with that for as long as he is able.

He is simply being 'moved along' from being camped right outside of the Parliament buildings, this is nothing remotely like the US-style 'free speech zone' system.

new topics

top topics

join