It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can't Cancel Membership?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Let it be known that I don NOT want to cancel my membership
but....

I noticed an an article placed inappropriately in the ATSNN about ATS not allowing membership to be cancelled. I can't find the article again, most likely moved to trash, but I'm curious about this. Is this a known issue on ATS, or is it just some guys rant? Are there any benefits that come from not cancelling user memberships?

Are their any possible reprocussions from not being able to cancel my own membership?

Is this one big government conspiracy to log all of us free thinkers?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think the unknown poster's attempt was to show that ATS is somehow inflating its membership roles to improve its revenue picture by not permitting account removal.

Of course, not thinking that it would be a simple matter for sysadmins to simply begin creating hundreds of users. Give me a few minutes and I could probably come up with a linux script to do that.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Rosabasi, I saw the post that I believe you are refering to, actually there were about three different posts made, all showing no author and I posted in one wondering what it was all about, then they disappered, probably as you said in the trash. I was just curious as to what they were refering to, did not make much sense, more like someones rant as you mentioned. Maybe someone can clear it up if need be, then again maybe nothing to it at all.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The reason why accounts can not be removed, is that if an account is removed all posts that are associated with it will be removed as well.

This means that if someone who has started posts decides he/she wants his/her accounts removed, all those posts go along with it and all the replies.

In addition to causing a loss of information that users no longer can look, it could cause potential data corruption due to the sheer size of this website. We have seen the effect of data corruption when attempting to merge duplicate posts in the past, and let's just say it wasn't pretty!

We can ban an account, making it useless but I hope my explanation actually explains why we don't physically delete the database records.

On a side note, we certainly don't try to inflate our member count. Most obviously, we don't require people to register to view our forums, which is something many forums systems do to technically boost their membership level.

While we do like to mention we have some 2 million posts because that is an impressive number for a discussion board, we want to focus on quality, not quantity of posts. The same goes for members, we would much prefer to have a small group of excellent posters who enjoy making quality contributions than having a huge proportion of members who have registered and never post at all.

Note: We have carried out purges in the past to remove dormant user accounts that have never been used and are simply unnecessarily increasing the size of our database.

Our number of members is actually quite small in my opinion for a "big board" such as ATS.

[edit on 8-5-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Thanks Simon.

My inquisitive/paranoid mind started coming up with a whole host of conspiratorial scenerios, including you, Skeptic Overlord, Springer, and WOS being reptilians who need this information to crush any possible rebellion.

Either that or it would be too much of a pain in the @$$ to go though the trouble of canceling accounts.

THanks again.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Thanks much Simon for the post and letting us in on what it means and entails to close an account. And I must add that I dont see why anyone who has contributed and posted would want all that to be lost, and not able to be viewed ever again.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The even more ironic thing about people who request their accounts closed, is a couple days after we "close" (ban) the account for them, they ask for it back!

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm glad to see that your questions were answered.

Your account will now be deleted.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
It's an addiction. Think of it like a drug fix. You tell your friends to take your stash, then when you really need it they won't give it back!!!

I had the same thing happen to me with sunflower seeds

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It's A Conspiracy!

Now that I'm a moderator, I've learned the true nature of the ATS Conspiracy.

And here it is:

The ownership and staff of AboveTopSecret.com are actively conspiring to make ATS the best place to discuss conspiracies and "alternative" topics on the Internet.

Shocking, isn't it?

The "drama on ATSNN" was just that: drama. A disgruntled member was trying to stir up controversy by spamming wild -- and false -- claims on ATSNN.

I (along with several other mods) was on hand for it, and while it was a bit of a thrill for a junior mod like me, it was nonetheless just a bunch of nonsense.

The ATS staff isn't perfect, but nothing I've seen either publicly or privately even remotely suggests an agenda other than providing members with the best environment for discussion possible.

Perhaps a bit boring when compared to other titillating possibilities, but it's the truth.

Making false claims about the ATS staff serves no purpose other than to discredit those making them.

And Raso, I'll admit I've always been intrigued by the bits and pieces of drama I used to see. You know, posts appearing and disappearing, members screaming "conspiracy!" and being banned, silenced, never to be heard from again, etc. From a member perspective, it can all seem like "Iron Curtain" sort of stuff, but being able to see the "rest of the story" reveals it for what it really is: the necessary hassles of dealing with trolls on the Big Bad Internet. I kind of wish I could say there was more to it, but alas, it ultimately just boils down to good housekeeping.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
the great and powerful oz has spoken!

seriously though, it's good to know that ATS is run by someone who will actually take the time to answer questions like this, and not just pawn it off on his mods.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Any member can go to their User Profile and remove any personal information.
Clean out any images that you have in your upload space.
Then delete all your u2u messages that you saved.
Do something to get you banned.
Then walk away.
Simple.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Don't Go Away Angry

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
Do something to get you banned.

This part always puzzles me. Why bother?

Why not just stop posting and leave it at that?

Burning bridges does nothing except limit one's own choices.

The logic of doing so eludes me.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Burning bridges does nothing except limit one's own choices.
The logic of doing so eludes me.

I find that burning the bridges behind you reduces the temptation to look back.
Unless you want to look at the smoke rising.........

Sometimes it's the best choice in life to leave no way to return to the past.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I was considering compling a list of all users who have had no posts, and have been dormant for the past few months or so, but I see youve had purges in the past. I didn't know that. Does it speed up the system? Or would that not matter with these hell good servers SO brang online!?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
In the previous 6 hours there have been 1006 members on AboveTopSecret.com
God only know how many others have stopped to look in the last 6 hours.

I don't think ATS has to worry about any member that wants to pack their bags and leave.

I like to watch some of the stats on the boards, (that's one feature that could be a bit more comprehensive...), but a lot of folks wander into the ATS Universe on a daily basis, and that one statistic makes for a very vibrant community.

Very solid bunch of members, mods, and Admin. logged in right now, about 6:00 pm EST

12m8keall2c, 27jd, A Servant of God, AceOfBase, ADVISOR, Allred5923, AmericanAussie, anxietydisorder, apc, ArMaP, Astronomer70, Baphomet79, beforebc, benevolent tyrant, boudreaux, brill, Byrd, cashlink, cddanny, chebob, Chud, cmdrkeenkid, crusader97, crustas, Cug, CX, Damocles, dbates, dbrandt, deadboi, deviant, DezertSkies, Djarums, DontTreadOnMe, donwhite, door, duncanidaho, Duzey, Earth Angel, Enkidu, enlightened_smurf, Escrotumus, Event Horizon, Fanatic, ferretmaster, Frank4YAHWEH, freeradical, Fuhr86, gattaca, generaldisarray, Gravityisatheory, grimreaper797, HardToGet, Harte, Hellmutt, housegroove23, HowardRoark, iamryan93176, Icarus Rising, iCu, ignorant_ape, Implosion, Intelearthling, intrepid, ions, iori_komei, j1mb0, Jack Tripper, Jadette, jagstang, JAK, James Daniel, JBurns, Jeddyhi, Jingles, jonke05, justagirl, Justin Oldham, kinglizard, kokoro, KoRupT, krif, LazarusTheLong, LoganCale, Long Lance, longbow, longhaircowboy, Low Orbit, Majic, Masisoar, masterp, mcoy, motionknight, Mr Beezer, MrPenny, nailwail, Nakash, neanwe, northwolf, Nothing, Nova, Odium, omega1, One_Love_One_GOD, Paul_Richard, Pjpuas, planeman, PLUMBER1, point, Prometheus3, pstiffy, psyopswatcher, Rasobasi420, Rasputin13, Reign, Rogue Shadows, rotarychris7, sardion2000, Scepterium, SE7EN, semperfortis, sensfan, shadowblade, shorty, shots, SimonGray, SkepticOverlord, sleeper, snowflake_obsidian, sosuemetoo, SpittinCobra, SportyMB, Spreadthetruth, StarLord, Strodyn, Stunkums, superduperman, SurfOBBC, Tamahu, Tanto, taskmaster, Telos, tengo hambre, Termite197, ThatsJustWeird, The Vagabond, theTRUTHtheWAY, they see ALL, The_Truth_Seeker, titian, tomcat ha, V Kaminski, Vaak, Vitchilo, VType, watch_the_rocks, WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE, WestPoint23, White Chapel, Willard856, WOLFEEFLOW, worksoftplayhard, WyrdeOne, Xeros, Yarium, yeehaa, zamphir66, Zaphod58, Zod,

Yeah, I don't understand why anyone would want to leave, ATS is a great place to hang your hat when your sitting at your desk.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:14 AM
link   
A very important thing to bear in mind is that the ownership has the ability to ban people at the IP address level.

An extremely disruptive member who goes above and beyond the typical troll (such as threats against ATS) may face this, which not only removes their ability to register from that address anymore, but also to even look at the websites we run.

If you don't want your account, don't provoke others to get yourself banned, just abandon it.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I was considering compling a list of all users who have had no posts, and have been dormant for the past few months or so, but I see youve had purges in the past. I didn't know that. Does it speed up the system? Or would that not matter with these hell good servers SO brang online!?

It honestly doesn't make a difference in performance with our new servers, but it streamlines the database and weeds out unnecessary data.

For those who think we try to inflate our membership, it also drops our member count during a purge!

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
MAN
Come on... This place is GREAT!!! Where else can I be a big mouth all that I want to?
I say if they don't want to be here, well good riddance .

But you know there are always a few that try to ruin it for everyone else.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
The even more ironic thing about people who request their accounts closed, is a couple days after we "close" (ban) the account for them, they ask for it back!

Just curious...can you do this?

And I don't quite understand the potential data corruption thing when completely removing an account. I can't see the diff between that and doing a disk de-frag, risk wise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join