It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amplitude Modulation (AM) can you tell me how?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I've been searching for a couple of days now, maybe I'm using the wrong search terms, I dunno.
I need to modulate an audio frequency (say, 600 hz) on a 1000 hz carrier. I've found clues how to do it, but no circuits so far. I've been into electronics for many moons now (30 years) but I've never worked in that area before.
I don't need to transmit anything wirelessly, just send the signal over wires. That eliminates the RF section of the circuit.

Can anyone help with a schematic?

Thanks!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I don't understand the science of what you are asking (I don't have any training or experience) however if you simply haven't found what you are looking for by not using the right search term, I used the words "how to modulate audio frequency circuit diagram" in the google.com search engine and found

www.arrl.org...

with a circuit diagram in the pdf format. and I found

radiophony.com...

among many other links.

I'm not sure if this helps or not.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
You can mix two tones together and the resulting difference can give you your desired signal information. The duo tones can work as carrier frequencies and can vary themselves.

You can modulate high frequencies and very low frequencies but there is not a lot out there in terms of modulating low frequencies. They use low frequency waves for communicating with nuke subs to shore etc I believe.

Can you tell us what you are doing and why?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 12:20 AM
link   
What I'm attempting is the circuit outlined in this document,
puharich.doc (Microsoft Word Document, 754k)
The guy allegedly drove a motorhome thousands of miles running off hydrogen produced "on demand" by this device.
I understand the math and the nuclear physics as related to the electron spin and the physical changes that the water molecules undergo as a result of the frequencies applied.
I have the "tank" already built, I just need to build the circuit to modulate the frequencies so I can apply them to the water and see what happens.
I downloaded the other patents referring to the circuit and they don't list the parts.... so I'm trying to find out how to modulate the frequency on my own and not having the greatest luck with it.

I downloaded the .pdf file, it was a helper, but not a solution.....

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I havent checked your schematic as of yet, but if you are putting a 600Hz signal on a 1KHz carrier, that is just like mixing two audio components. If you have ever seen an audio mixer, this is exactly what it does. You did say you were going for amplitude modulation, so hopefully I can check your file and see what it is you are trying to accomplish - at my most convenient time of course. Check back later.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
From fig 5, you basically need 2 oscillators. One to provide the carrier frequency and one to provide the modulated amplitude. Without being too involved in your project, I would really have to know what ranges and power levels you are trying to accomplish and the purpose of the feedback loop in the drawing. This loop seems necessary to accomplish the task, otherwise you could build a prototype with no feedback and adjust the ranges manually to develop a sort of "testing device" to refine it. This might be easier than building an autonomous ciruit, which you will still have to monitor and tweak to get it to function right.

Two oscillators with controls for modulation shouldn't be a big reach to come up with and I would be willing to assist you in developing a more accurate design if you like.

Electronics is not my profession and not even a prime hobby for me, but I have done a lot of homebrewed power circuits, digital and analog for fun and have a good grasp on fundamental electrical laws. In other words, if I were an electrical engineer, I could make $8 an hour!

U2U me with some specific design requirements or just post.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I'm not trying to make a big "top secret" project out of this. I'll freely share my results with anyone.
My specialty in electronics is burglar alarms, very simple DC circuits with battery backup. I've never messed with oscillators before.

I'm changing the basic design that Puharich uses. instead of the "upside-down spark plug looking thing" I'm putting it all inside a 4" diameter PVC tank. Keeping the electrode dimensions the same is important, I think, 1" center electrode and 2" outside electrode. Feeding it coaxially from the bottom.

Puharich states that this device will produce H and O2 at a very low power level because it mostly depends on the resonance between the electrodes and the water. I believe the power level only needs to hang around .5 amp or so.

Wouldn't it be cool to pull into a gas station and say "Do you have a garden hose?"

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I didn't have time to read through every paragraph in the paper, but one word raised the red flag, and that word is "surplus". Basically I doubt the veracity of this invention because I think the author slipped in non-conservation of energy.

The article is full of scientific-sounding jargon, and I especially disliked the "thermodynamic device". It's a non-sensical buzzword.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I'm not quite sure what you need, but here's a few links I found that have circuits for AM modulation.

www.hobbyprojects.com...

www.ece.queensu.ca...

www.sciencebuddies.org...

Like Aelita, I'm skeptical about the workings of that device. If I understood the paper correctly, the inventor made a radio circuit to output the resonant frequency of water, which is supposed to split the molecules and produce energy. I'm not a chemistry expert, so I don't know whether that part of the invention makes sense, but from what little I know on the subject, I don't think it will work. However, an amplitude modulator has been around for a very long time, and hopefully one of the links above helps you out.

Interestingly, I checked my communications textbooks, but couldn't find anything that looked helpful for your problem, although that is likely due to the fact that FM is more common than AM nowadays.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The easiest way to generate the required signal is to draw the waveform in a suitable audio editor, and use the output of the soundcard hooked up to an amplifier. No special hardware... Don't you love that?

Having said that, I'm 100% sure the whole water splitting project is not workable.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I'm stubborn though,,,

I'm going to try it out and see what happens. I have a lot of free time for building circuits while I'm at work.

Gonna go check out those links now, thanks!

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Am = ring modulation, a relativley common thing in music production. Such devices are integrated into quite a few bits of gear, as well as being sold as a stand-alone unit. It can also be achieved relativley painlessly on a computer. However, I'm assuming u need to hand-build this urself, no?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmthAm = ring modulation

Not entirely true, according to this link and plenty of others you can find on google. RM is a special case of AM, in which the carier freq is suppressed, and only sum and differences are allowed to path through.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by john_bmthAm = ring modulation

Not entirely true, according to this link and plenty of others you can find on google. RM is a special case of AM, in which the carier freq is suppressed, and only sum and differences are allowed to path through.

yeah, ur right, my bad

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I hate to break the news to you after you have done so much work already, but the device cannot work.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get more energy out of combining hydrogen and oxygen than it took to separate the water.

Even if you were putting the hydrogen through a fuel cell you still have EMF, and resistance losses in the system.

By burning it you have massive energy losses from friction, and heat.

If this device really worked they would be installed on every vehicle in the world, and all power plants.

There have been dozens of different 'water cell' devices that the author claims can run on water alone.

Well, if that were true, they would be walking across the stage to pick up their Nobel Prize instead of hawking water cells on the internet.

If even ONE worked they would be jumping up and down outside the TV station to get some attention.

Instead they hide which should tell you something about their results.

Next time try to find others who have tried before you jump on the bandwaggon.

And if you get it to work come back and call me a fool. I welcome it.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The third link to sciencebuddies.org made it easy to understand. The other two I was already at in my searches.

Thanks

posted on May, 13 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I'm having a bit of trouble implementing this amplitude modulation thing. Can anyone lend a hand or give me some tips about how I should go about this?
I really want to give it a try, I don't care if it doesn't work.

I've been fooling with this stuff since I was quite young and this AM thing is new ground to me so I want to give it a try.

Thanks for any input!

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Got the parts today for a simple amplitude modulation circuit. Built the electrode apparatus in the garage. Gonna solder everything together tomorrow at work. Then I'll need to design the audio oscillator and the CW oscillator.
Then I'll put it together and see what happens.....
I have a digital camera, and I have taken pics. I don't want to waste bandwidth with a theory (unless you wanna see?)
If it works I'll post complete details, circuits, photos, and all.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Can anyone tell me if this would work for simple amplitude modulation?

It's simply a ring modulator with the diodes removed.

posted on May, 22 2006 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Howdy Beer_Guy...

Hmmm...

From the looks of it...No...for 2 reasons...

Because the Carrier is going to is going to pickup from the looks of it, half of the AF input, then double again on the output, and the 2 transformers are going to create a Oscillating Tank circuit also adding to the output...

Let me check thruogh my books and see whatI can find...

Do you also have the Signal generator circuit ?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join