It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you truly want to see gas prices go down...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:48 PM
link   
For starters we need to create our own oil and we need with draw from OPEC we need open up the reserves not matter how many democrates and tree huggers get in are way and the oil rtefineries need to be a full production or we need more of them. Its not the oil companies but its the Arabs. We should also look into alternate energys. There you go.

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Way to Deny Ignorance, buddy.

Originally posted by geekboy
For starters we need to create our own oil

Out of what? Do you have any idea of how incredibly difficult and cost/time intensive making your own petrochemical oil is? You'd be better off switching everything to hydrogen.

Originally posted by geekboyand we need with draw from OPEC

Better make sure your country is even a member of OPEC before you try to withdraw from it.

Originally posted by geekboy we need open up the reserves not matter how many democrates and tree huggers get in are way

You mean the Alaskan oil fields? You realize they only hold enough oil to last the US roughly 2.5 years? Great deal of help that will be.

Originally posted by geekboyand the oil rtefineries need to be a full production or we need more of them.

Refineries have very little to do with the issue of gas prices, as they're held by the oil companies. The real culprit is the oil itself and the price being paid for it. Building new refineries will help drop fuel prices just as much as you buying a new car will.

Originally posted by geekboyIts not the oil companies but its the Arabs.

Beautiful blanket statement, you make all of us here very proud. How about getting some sources, hard numbers, or even some half-factual evidence before you start spewing biased nonsense?

Originally posted by geekboy We should also look into alternate energys. There you go.

That's the one statement you've made that makes even a touch of sense. Alternate energy sources are our only way out of this mess. Please go read up on them.

What a truly inspiring thread! This master plan of yours is airtight. By following these few easy steps we should be out of the woods in no time (which is good, because the woods are filled with tree huggers)

Oh, by the way, just what the heck is a Rebulican?

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Your lack of any ability to write, spell check or understand grammar makes baby jesus cry....

I'd say more, but Thousand said it first and said it well. Please pay attention in English class more often. Please. For baby jesus. (preemptive acknowledgement that "for baby jesus" and "please" are not a complete sentences)

posted on May, 18 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Terrestrial alternative energy will only supply 15 to 25% of our present energy use. Although alternative energy will alleviate the problem to some extent we will not be able to produce enough on earth to stop the problem or the rise in energy costs. A solarfurnace in geostationary orbit would be able to supply all the clean energy that we need.

Since global warming is caused by excess carbon in the atmosphere and hydrocarbons are produced by fossil fuels it only makes sense to use the energy from the solarfurnace to create hydrogen and oxygen from seawater. By converting to hydrogen fuel we will produce enough pure water (a waste product of hydrogen burning) to irrigate the deserts, the increase in biomass will remove the excess carbon from the atmosphere.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   
How can it not be the oil companies? I have heard that the oil companies are making record profits. That seems a bit unbalanced doesn't it?

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
actually there is a process in the makings that does just this: everything to....oil its gonna be great we just need more time for this technoligy to evolve

read about it in Discovery magazine a few months ago

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lamagraa
actually there is a process in the makings that does just this: everything to....oil its gonna be great we just need more time for this technoligy to evolve

read about it in Discovery magazine a few months ago

Yes, it's called Thermal Deploymerization. Astounding process, that one. Read up on it here:

Wikipedia Article
Changing World Techologies, the company that owns the rights to the process itself.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Time to start using hydrogen.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 04:10 AM
link   
My take on this is that we will all cry and moan about energy from now until we all grow up. There is no energy source out there currently that allows us to get more energy than we put into delivering it. None. All the hooplah over the alternatives are just that - lofty ideas. The bottom line is that oil is so generous to us because it has stored eons of energy through plants and sunlight. Our latest generations are using it up and this is why oil companies reap profits. It is now running out and the oil companies are taking advantage of it for the last play in the game, because when it is gone, then the profits are gone. Its like the last drink at the bar at 2AM.

Renewable energies are fine and we WILL find a way to develop the infrastructure to run our world on these, but no longer will we be able to pay for stored up energy. This is why I say we will cry and moan. No longer will we be able to afford anything more than what we put into it. We will all realize the lesson of life that you don't get something for nothing.

posted on May, 20 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Ben is right about earthbound energy being limited, that is why we must look to either learning to conserve the energy available here or importing energy from space. The oil companies and their government stooges will not try to import energy from space until they have squeezed every last dollar from oil. If we want to build a geostationary orbit solarfurnace then we the people will have to do it ourselves.

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Thousand, that was beautiful...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thousand
You mean the Alaskan oil fields? You realize they only hold enough oil to last the US roughly 2.5 years?

Thats true Thousand. But. Whos to say that's not all thats left of the oil in Kuwait?
Noone knows how much they have left because they haven't exactly been forthwright with that info...

posted on May, 24 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I think regardless of our oil supply the U.S. SHould be leading the way in alternative fuels. considering we use more than anyone else.

posted on May, 25 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Seeing as how oil is a freely traded commodity, it'd be kind of hard for oil companies to determine the price.

I will say this though, I'm offshore at the moment (in the Gulf of Mexico) and the client rep we have on board says that within the past 5 years for an oil company just to break EVEN, oil has to be $18/barrel.

Yes, they are reaping record profits. That still doesn't mean they aren't having average earnings. They only profited 10% last year, compared with banking and pharmaceuticals who are more like 20-30% (last I checked).

Also, people need to take into account that it takes on average around $1 BILLION dollars to develop a new field in the GoM. I've seen rigs that cost over $2 BILLION.

I've seen people mention something of reserves... I know that techonology is still developing that will allow for deeper exploration and deeper drilling. They haven't even looked in super ultra deep water (greater than 10,000' of water). I was just on a job that some of the majors are re-exploring shallow water areas for more natural gas only because they didn't have the technology to do so before.

You also have to keep in mind how much it cost to have work done out here. I'm on a vessel right now that charges around $100,000 per day to operate, not to mention any other equipment needed. We installed some clamps to stop some gas leaks a few weeks ago, and those clamps ranged in price from $15000 to $90000 each.

And when a dang grocery store charges you $1.88 for one 20oz bottle of Gatorade, you know something is wrong.

new topics

top topics

join