It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me or is almost every hollywood movie the same?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Now I'm not saying EVERY SINGLE FILM here, but I feel like sooooo many of todays films are "cookie cutter" piles of crap. Theres a main good guy, and a main bad guy. The bad guy wants to do bad things, the good guy chases after him, lots of big explosions and un-believe-able (NOT UNBELIEVEABLE) special effects, and the good guy wins in the end. I cant believe that this garbage just keeps selling and selling. Anyone out there feel the same?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:19 AM
link   
It's just not film but books music etc...there is nothing new...it has been done in one way or another before and all we are getting now is rehashed nonsensical crap.I don't know what is happening but the world's creative processes are stagnant and the corporations are relying on prior ideas that get a facelift and then marketed to a new generation.....its all about the dollar.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
NO it's not you dno117. You are seeing correctly ..its like a xerox machine ..they just punch in 50 and you get 50 copies of the same thing..the same plot.

Several authors have penned the same concerns. Not much originality going on here anymore.

I gave up on the James Bond movies ages ago..its the same olde plot. Bond meets women..bond goes on missions ..finds the secret fortress...destroys the fortress and gets the girl. 50 copies of the same variation. No Thanks. You just have special effects today to fill in more of the blanks so that many dont seem to notice the lack of real plots or variations of plots. Star Wars and all the clones the same plot.
Somehow you have escaped this virus dno117...well done..you are thinking like a individual.
This is why I dont watch the Sopranos...the lifetime channel ..alot of movies.

I just watched a movie called "Tristan and Isolde" While intresting it was a variation of that same plot. Boy meets girl..falls in love, loses girl..boy dies in the end before a pretty girl...to watch him die...typical male disposability and expendability. I can get this on the lifetime channel and other places. This movie just happened to be set back in midevel times or before. Same plot with some sex and violence included to keep up the mistique.

No your not nuts. Hollywood must keep up a formula that sells copies..or they will lose their audience. They must often appeal to the lowest common denominator in thinking to sell thier product. You are becoming aware of this trend..this fingerprint...well done dno117....well done.

The last movie I saw which seemed to be any good ..was a video titled " A Unfinished Life" with Robert Redford. This movie was pretty good. Redfords movies tend to use large panoramas out in the country in his productions..to very good effect. It was the same with " The Horse Whisperer" Which I also enjoyed though it was a bit slow moving. Very beautiful scenery in Redfords productions. Beautiful panorams in his shots.

Thanks,
Orangetom
Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
7 basic plots:

1 - [wo]man vs. nature

2 - [wo]man vs. [wo]man

3 - [wo]man vs. the environment

4 - [wo]man vs. machines/technology

5 - [wo]man vs. the supernatural

6 - [wo]man vs. self

7 - [wo]man vs. god/religion

Mix and match.

Not to mention the remakes of older movies and (shudder) tv shows that weren't particularly good on tv.

Then you add in the fact that success breeds duplication. And sometimes even the fear another studio might be successful. Remember there were two movies about the Earp clan that came out at the same time? Or the two Robin Hood movies?

Now there's a new Poseidon Adventure movie opening and a few months ago there was a tv version.

:shk:

new topics

top topics

join