It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of knowledge in the workplace.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Have you ever met a cocktail waitress who doesn't know how to make cocktails?
Have you ever met a corn-farmer who doesn't know anything about corn?
Have you ever met a pilot who can't fly?

Probably not. the fact is that people know and understand their profession. If they don't know what they are getting into when they get the job they should LEARN. For example, I work in the liquor trade. I'm expected to know the types of wines, beers, spirits, alcoholic content, standard drinks etc. when i started in the trade, i knew next to nothing about it, but i learnt what was required, and then some.

So, whats this thread about?
Well about a month and a half i walked into DickSmith Powerhouse. (Australia's largest electrical/entertainment chain store). I was approached by someone who asked if i needed any help. I explained to him that i know nothing about computers, but i want a Laptop. Anything will do, size, memory, speed ect... i dont care, as long as it had a DVD writer/burner, as a MUST. He suggested one. so i bought it. It plays DVDs & CDs, & burns CDs pretty well. nearly 2 months later, (last night) it said that i was running out of 'virtual memory.' fair enough. So i tried to burn my files to DVD... But it wont let me. Checked up on it... It CANT BURN DVD DISCS!

Now im out of pocket and cant continue with work. ALL BECAUSE of someone INCOMPETENCE/ Lack of knowledge in his own work place. Because of their refund policy, i cant return it.

In conclusion no-one should be in a business that they cant satisfy the prerequisites.
And to a lesser extent, more businesses should have a (strict) probation period.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I hate to have to put this so blunt because I see your point and agree wholeheartedly but his only objective was to make the sale.

A little research on what you were looking to purchase would have done you a world of good buddy, the bottom line is, and especially in 2006, customer service just ain't what it used to be nor will it ever be again and it's taking a nosedive for the worst as we move forward.

Been to a Safeway lately ? lol And I love Safeway but I can't stand the people who work for them. It used to be one or two or three but now I find it's just all of them more often than not. I dare say being a self-absorbed, mad-at-the-world, bitter, mean, ignorant teen (they're usually about 16) is a pre-requisite for the job.

For all that I just said, I actually miss Safeway lol, just moved from Melbourne to Japan and I would give a limb to have a Safeway up the road *sigh*

I'd gladly put up with the bad service just to have decent food I can recognize that isn't American.

Anyway, what kind of refund policy they got goin there ? And on a laptop ? wow
How about the warranty on it ? They should, or the manufacturer should, be repairing anything at fault with it for at least a year

[edit on 7-5-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
When people are actively participating in their job - they are also learning at the same time, so is it too much to expect too much?

Though in your particular situation, you specificed a DVD writer/burner, and he failed to give you that. That's only negligence on his part and redudancy.

Sorry you had to experience that and are in the situation you are now in.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
When my husband was working 3rd shift (11:00pm to 7:30am) we would shop at 24 hour Wal-Mart and H.E.B. (grocey store) We shopped at OUR normal hours. Well, these stores stock at that time of night. The aisles are full of boxes and manuvering around them can be hazardous. But at H.E.B., none of the stockers spoke English! Or maybe they could and didn't want to. I've walked all over that store trying to find someone who could tell me where the item I was searching for was. I no longer shop at H.E.B.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by darkelf]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think a major problem is the fact that employers are so quick to get their employees out on the floor that they barely give them any training anymore.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Training is time and money! Inefficient use of resources.. or is it?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masisoar
Training is time and money! Inefficient use of resources.. or is it?

Yes but many of these jobs are low end entry level jobs. Do you really expect people with a ton of experience applying to be stock boy at Wal-mart?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I feel it's worth it to train employees more, it's the only way to get a better rep and have a more efficient use of a worker.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Exactly, but a lot of employers don't want to take the time to do that. I have seen waitressing jobs in the paper that want a college degree or a lot of experience.

new topics

top topics

join