It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investigation of TWA 800

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I didn't really know where to post this, so I decided to put it here.

In introduction, I'd just like to say that I hope a topic similar to this hasn't been posted before; I can never figure out how to work the Search thing because no results ever show up for anything.

Basic Information about the TWA 800 crash:

On July 17, 1996, the plane, a Boeing 747-131 registered as N93119 and designated by TWA as ship number 17119, exploded in mid-air off Long Island and plunged into the ocean, at 40°39′1″N, 072°38′0″W, approximately 20 miles southwest of East Hampton, New York, killing all 230 people on board. Passengers included French guitarist Marcel Dadi, composer David Hogan, Jed Johnson, a former member of Andy Warhol's filmmaking team, the wife and niece of jazz saxophonist Wayne Shorter, and the sister of comic creator Geoff Johns, who later created the character Stargirl based on her. Other passengers included 16 members of the French club at Montoursville High School in Pennsylvania and their five chaperones.

The main point of this thread is to ask your opinion about what caused the TWA 800 to "spontaneously explode". It's widely debated; some believe it was hit by missiles, even though missile or explosive debris were reportedly found. Some suspect that this was caused by terrorists or even the attacks of another country. Some even blame the United States military for shooting down the plane. The official analysis brings forth the conclusion that the fuel in the fuel tanks was heated to high temperatures as a result of the air heating/cooling system directly under the fuel tank that caused it to spark and immediately explode, severing the plane in half.

The Black Boxes were recovered, and imply that the plane exploded so suddenly that the pilot had no time to make any reaction, not even verbal.

A complete list of all official theories that were considered are:
Terrorist bomb (internal)
Missile Attack (Terrorist)
Missile Attack (Unknown Origin)
Missile Attack (Friendly Fire, such as U.S. military)
Faulty Wiring

Other Introduced Theories:
Electromagnetic Interference
Meteorite

So what do you guys think brought down TWA800? I watched a National Geographic show about it the other day, and still am not 100% sure what I believe to be true. ATM, I guess the official version of the story, the spark within the fuel tank is the most logical and supported by evidence. Also, do you guys believe this has any relation to terrorism and/or a government related shootdown and conspiracy?

Some Basic Sources:
en.wikipedia.org...
www.twa800.com...
www.whatreallyhappened.com...
www.ntsb.gov...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Wasn't there strong evidence supporting (mainly by witnesses) that a missle had hit it.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masisoar
Wasn't there strong evidence supporting (mainly by witnesses) that a missle had hit it.

Yes, but the FBI considers that theory "debunked by themselves". That's the thing that makes me suspicious. I have yet to see or hear the Black Box tapes as well. All I've been told is that the FBI says the Black Box tapes indicated an immediate explosion in which the pilot had no time to react, "disproving a missile attack".

You're right though, there are many people who, in interviews, have said that the plane was struck down by United States military personnel. This was later traced to a military boat that was in range to hit it with a missile at the time (I forget its name, I'll see if I can find it) but the FBI later stated that that situation was impossible as well.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Haha yes, of course the government is going to deny that!
And it's because of reasons like that, that you can never believe anything "Official" by the government.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Yes, I don't totally disregard statements by the government (in most cases), but I am not one of their puppets that will immediately believe them, either. I've never found them trustworthy. My uncle works for the FBI, and isn't allowed to tell me anything. That's enough of a reason for me to hate 'em.

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Omniscient]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
TWA 800 had a mid air collision with a stealth UFO.

This theory has more plausibility than a missile.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
There is a LOT of evidence of a wiring short leading to a center wing fuel tank explosion. The center wing fuel tank had damage going OUT, not in, they found chafed wiring near the tank, and a burned feul probe. They did a test flight with an Evergreen 747, and found that the 50 gallons of fuel TWA 800 was up to almost 300 deg F at the altitude it exploded at, and the flashpoint was only 98 degrees.

The USAF lost three or four KC-135s to fuel tank explosions. They finally figured out what happened when one exploded after a maintenance crew turned on the center wing fuel pump during a routine maintenance check on the ground.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
They did a test flight with an Evergreen 747, and found that the 50 gallons of fuel TWA 800 was up to almost 300 deg F at the altitude it exploded at, and the flashpoint was only 98 degrees.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by Zaphod58]

Yeah, I saw this on the history channel special about TWA 800. If it weren't for the extensive testing done on this; I believe the most expensive investigation in FBI's history, then I wouldn't believe the FBI's story. But because of it, I lean towards the logical cause of explosion in this case. Wanted to see if the members of this site believed the more "conspiracal" end to it.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If anyone wants to disprove the FBI version of the story they will need to get a passenger list and see who someone would want to kill that would be worth the lives of all the others.
I had read at one time that there was a guy on the plane that was in some way related to the Oklahoma City bombing and he was taking documentaion of a coverup to someone in France.
The government has all angles coverd on this so you will need to find motive for a back door.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It's really hard to disprove the FBI's version; lots of evidence has seemed to "dissapear", and we seem to be forced to now take in only the evidence that the FBI has presented us with, making it fairly one sided. They have claimed that it was "physically impossible" for the United States military to shoot it down from its position at the time of explosion, but as far as I know, released no evidence confirming this other than "their word". I have never seen the black box tapes as I said earlier; only heard the FBI's claim that the pilot had no reaction time when the tapes were tested. The only things that support the denial of the official version are various witness interviews.

[edit on 7-5-2006 by Omniscient]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Not to swing off topic but in a similiar case with the issue of the 9/11 Conspiracy - whatever was left over of the structural materials that made up the World Trade Centers was shipped off to foreign countries for scrap, thus not giving investigators a good amount of time to conduct a thorough investigation.

No evidence --> No worries.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Not to swing off topic but in a similiar case with the issue of the 9/11 Conspiracy - whatever was left over of the structural materials that made up the World Trade Centers was shipped off to foreign countries for scrap, thus not giving investigators a good amount of time to conduct a thorough investigation.

Much of the steel is being recycled into the USS New York -- currently under construction for the U.S. Navy.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The FBI actually took all the materials they could find of the plane in the ocean, and reconstructed it piece by piece. Following that, I don't know what happened to the material.

Picture of reconstructed parts of the aircraft:

[edit on 7-5-2006 by Omniscient]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Hmm I was refering to "if there was evidence that suggests otherwise (other than the FBI's scenario)" being removed type of scenario.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't know If any one else heard this theory so here goes...

It involves the philadelphia experiment. and i hope most of you know what went down there with that. If not here's some links...

www.crystalinks.com...

www.spiritual-endeavors.org...

So now that were all on the same page, the theory I once read and im not sure where. (It was a while ago) Theorised that the 'worm hole' or 'time rip' from the philadelphia experiment repeated its self on the exact date 40 or 50 some odd years later... (This also assoicates with how many years the guys that jumped off the boat went foreward in time... as an anniversy date of some sort).

Anyway the only real proof I remembered reading was that how the plain was hit was sufficient with this recorse of a time rip that smashed the plane. (They had a diagram on how a distorted worm hole tigectory looked and how it hit the plane in question.) They said it is possible because where the point of impact on the plane happened at was parallel to where the philadelphia experiments were conducted at or something like that. (another diagram was shown of the two locations parallity to each other.)

If I find a link supporting this theory I will post it. Personally I believe either a missile from either us or someone else hit the plane or it was infact a spark in the fuel lodge of the plane. But this is a whole new find of theory in its self. I just figured some of you might find this theory interesting as do I... even though its quite unbelieveable and full of holes.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Hmm I was refering to "if there was evidence that suggests otherwise (other than the FBI's scenario)" being removed type of scenario.

Yeah, unfortunately, we'll probably never know whether the FBI tampered with, or hid evidence; unless it's somehow declassified.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient

Yeah, unfortunately, we'll probably never know whether the FBI tampered with, or hid evidence; unless it's somehow declassified.

That along with everything else they've ever investigated for that matter!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient

That along with everything else they've ever investigated for that matter!

Yeah, like I've said; my uncle is in the FBI and he won't even tell me ANYTHING. I find them untrustworthy.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   
All in the name of National Security
- I'd hope for more people to post their interesting theories on what happened to TWA Flight 800 and sources for their conclusion, just out of curisouty!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join