It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Suspicious American Airlines Passengers Detained at Newark International

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
An Air Marshall aboard an American Airlines flight from Houston alerted authorities that there were five suspicious passengers on the plane. The men were detained upon landing. Their names have not been released. No indication yet if they're being charged with anything, or what might have aroused the suspicions of the Marshall.

www.foxnews.com
The plane was bound from Dallas Fort Worth International Airport when an air marshal notified authorities of five men he considered suspicious, according to Marc LaVorgna, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Port Authority police took the five men into custody immediately after the plane landed at 3:20 p.m., LaVorgna said.

LaVorgna did not have more details on why the men were considered suspicious. The five men remained in custody at the airport Saturday evening. The FBI had been notified and were expected to take over the investigation, LaVorgna said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm gonna have to wait and see what's going on with this before commenting. My gut says it's a case of mistaken identity, or a twitchy air marshall. But, let's see where this goes. There's not much information being made available as of yet.

UPDATE: The men have since been released. They were detained, apparently, because they were in posession of flight-instruction manuals and educational materials. Four Angolans and an Israeli.

www.cnn.com...

Five airline passengers speaking in foreign languages and carrying "aircraft flight materials" were briefly detained Saturday until authorities determined they were simply returning to their home countries after attending a U.S. helicopter training school.

Something fishy going on? I suspect there won't be much more about this story in the MSM, though that could very well be justified, if this is indeed just a non-story.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
It woud appear this is a non issue. Apparently they were helicopter students returning home.5 Released After Detention at N.J. Airport

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Non-issue, good. But you really cannot blame people for being suspicious nowadays. Better safe than sorry.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
They may have been rescue/supply pilots in training for a relief effort underway.

I asked myself, why would one Israeli and four Angolans all be going to helicopter flight school in the same place at the same time. There's a nasty situation in Angola at the moment, a flooded river, a missing bridge, Eastern Angola Cut Off, all in the midst of a Cholera outbreak.

So, my guess is that this may have been a charitable situation, where some folks were being taught to fly helicopters in a hurry in order to help deliver supplies. No idea if this is accurate, just a guess.

They're also China's largest oil supplier, something I didn't know. May be security related, could even be related to a project going on to save the antelopes.

I have no more ideas. It's a pretty wierd situation, I'm not surprised the authorities took notice of five men travelling together after attending flight school. I'm even less surprised the authorities took notice if these men were reviewing their flight training with each other on the way home, like, chatting across the aisles in hushed tones about controlling altitude and such...

It's a bit like playing Where's Waldo with an enormous freakin' Waldo.

The Air Marshall shouldn't feel bad, he made an honest mistake. But I don't think his job is necessary. It appears to be an unnecessary waste of money and manpower. We can take a cue from the Israelis on this, funnily enough, the best way to stop hijackings is to keep the hijackers off the plane!

Stop them at the airport, with security on the ground. Much more effective, in all respects.

Edit: Diamond business maybe? Lots of that going on in Angola. It's hard to mine diamonds without finding them first, and to find them quickly one requires helicopters and helicopters require pilots. So, that could be another logical explanation.

[edit on 7-5-2006 by WyrdeOne]

join