It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reefer Madness 2006?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Why is the US investing so much into the ongoing campaign to expel weed from the Public. Haven't they been trying to do that for the last 70 years unsuccessfully?

Does anyone know how much pursuing Marijuana Crimes and locking up Marijuana Criminals costs our country each year? Is it worth it?

Couldn't those resources be better used fighting the Meth Problem plaguing our nation or Homeland Security?

Im not sure if I can write this post on ATS, there is one way to find out.

I heard a commercial on the radio in the bay area in northern california talking about marijuana making someone shop lift, has anyone EVER heard about someone doing this because of Marijuana?

Tell me what you think.

mod edit, spelling/grammar in title

[edit on 8-5-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   
If your looking for some real reasearch material on the subject that you should check out the book called: The Cannabis Companion The ultimate Guide to Connoisseurship. Or if your looking for a good movie check out the Doc Weed: Woody from cheers narates but its actually really informative. We watched it in one of my media classes at MAC so made a lot poeple think about things differently.
You gotta understand why the goverment does these things: Who ever that person was I'm sure they were going to rob whatever it was stoned ot not. It just makes for good propaganda to say that weed made them do it.
Its they way of the world. Trust me the system can be broken or just move to Canada you can at least reason with people here on the subject.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Not sure if this thread is acceptable or not..

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden

however, I think that if the issue is kept to the idea that this is a discussion relating to the public ssue and not as a platform to promote the misues of substances then I imagine it would be ok.

I think that you are correct in the fact that the US prison system is overcrowded and the problem could be reduced by re-addressing the methods in which Marijuana possession and supplying is handled.

(besides, if you really can't control yourself, there is always Mexico now...)

The fact that masses of people are using cannabis and this has been commercially been made to be seen as acceptable (music, films such as cheech and ching.. harold and kumar..etc and companies such as rizla.. (why else would anyone buy king sized??) it distracts from the negative sides such as gang related incidents resulting from the financial aspect of such contraband.

Law enforcement should be (in my personal opinion) more leanient with regard to possesion of small quantities and increased to the factory element of the drug production.

As you have said, there are far more pressing drug issues such as Meth, Crack and Heroine use.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
why is this in this forum???

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Cuz the money "their money" is in Blow (coc aine derivates) and Opiates which are easier to manage at the source and far more lucrative. Same thing you mention about Pot might also apply to meth. If "they" can't control it and own it it will be crushed and are doing so. Pot and meth are "indy" operations - cell-like... "big dope" takes international organization and collaboration - think Afghanistan. Watch some Alex Jones/William Cooper you'll figure it out. BTW. Locking folks up for weed is so "last-century" if folks feel they need to do "herby" I say go ahead, just don't drive or operate heavy equipment or eat all the Oreos.

Victor K.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Wrong Forum??

Go Mods!

2 cents

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Referral Madness

I moved this thread from BQ&B to U.S. Politics because it seems focused on U.S. drug policy. As in all cases, the purpose of moving threads is to make topics easier to find and to make sure they reach an interested audience.

And as in all cases, please don't be shy about letting me know if you think a thread landed in the wrong place.

With respect to the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use and discussion of illegal drug use or other illegal activities, the rule of thumb is that it's fine to discuss these topics as topics (i.e., in the context of examining politics, legal issues, narcoterrorism, social impacts, etc.).

However, never discuss any illegal drug use on your part or your participation or desire to participate in any other sorts of illegal activities on ATS.

Dealing With The Man

2e.) Illegal Activity: Discussion of illegal activities such as drug use, drug paraphernalia, hacking, etc. are strictly forbidden.

Note that this restriction applies to all illegal activities, and specifically mentions drug use and drug paraphernalia.

This means, among other things, not posting pictures of drug paraphernalia, marijuana leaf avatars, "the last time I got high" stories, propaganda glorifying drug use, descriptions of how to formulate or use drugs, material advocating or documenting illegal drug use on the part of ATS members or any other similar information.

This is for everyone's protection.

Aside from exposing members to potential investigation and prosecution, such activity can also expose ATS to a wide range of potential legal hassles that nobody wants or needs.

That's why such things are prohibited, and members who persist in violating the T&C are banned.

If any member ever has any concerns about this or any other policy, please don't hesitate to consult the staff.

We're fellow members committed to helping you enjoy ATS, and helping to make ATS the best it can be.

Speaking Of Prohibition

As for the topic: for whatever it's worth, I personally oppose the continuation of the "War on Drugs" and have opposed it for decades.

However, I don't support drug abuse or addiction, and encourage anyone who has problems with drugs to seek help.

That's what help is for.

And now, back to that Reefer Madness...

[edit on 5/6/2006 by Majic]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Thanks for the insight Majic and also thank you for moving the site, I too think this is a better home for the site.

Since it is acceptable to discuss the issue I would like to pose the question,

What would happen to the US if they legalized Marijuana and taxed it?

Would this create industry or slow it down?

Would this help law enforcement or hurt it?

Would the Government be able to regulate it?

Finally, could we keep the kids away from it if it were legal?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well gangs are harder to control, and now even the suburbs have gangs that are just parelleing or attempting to parelle inter-city gangs, because of music culture. Eminem, Dr. Dre, Tupac,etc. The companies that promote them don't care about the image, it's all about the money, and if their bragging of cars, money, and groupies, there will be someone dumb enough to start one and start taking thier stories of the inter-city out of context, like people have since raps been MTV-ised to the MAX now.

There are very few Black Eyed Peas, Blaque, or Kool and The Gang, type groups, that are highly marketed to teens these days. Without parental supervision to a certian extent, then everyone gets trouble, and then people are dumb to take illegal drugs. I'm kind of in the gray, when it comes to weed use through, but for people dying or with terminal illnesses, it's fine by me.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Yesterday, again in Northern California I heard another Anti-Marijuana commercial this time it was attempting to make the connection between Marijuana and violence. The commercial was abou a boy who picked a fight at school because he was "high" on marijuana.

This is Rediculous!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone knows Marijuana does not make people violent.

The Federal Government is wasting the tax payers money sending out PA's(public announcmments) to cause fear and anger within the community about marijuana.

Can the citizens of the U.S. sue the government for funding this blatant and untrue propaganda?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Has anyone seen the Backstreet Boys on "MTV DIARY" in the US?

It makes you 8 times claimer than they were on that show, and that's what a boy was telling his friend after SCIENCE class, back when I in high school a few years ago.

Who makes these dumb commericals? You'd think they'd learn after the "famously ineffective" ones in the '80s.

Shame, Shame, Shame.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   
One reason why marijuana is still illegeal across the U.S. is because of all the money it brings into our courthouses. I believe a typical fine for "small amounts" of marijuana is in the range of 1 to 3 hundred dollars multiply that by several thousand people a day and again by the amount of days in a year and you will have a good sized amount of money.

While in the long run it costs our government more money to deal with marijuana "criminals" due to incarceration and what not. By then the courts have already been paid off and are unconcerned about the money required to keep them locked up.

Has anyone else heard a rediculous PA(public announcement) about marijuana in the last month or so?

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Has anyone else heard any of the commercials?

[edit on 9-5-2006 by Low Orbit]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Pot was made Illegal in 1937 with the Marijuana stamp act that was sponsored and authored by Jay anslinger. With prodding from companies like DUPONT, whose synthetic fibers were inferior to that of the hemp plant.

Today pot stays illegal because it IS big big business. Countless rumors abound that the CIA runs the drug trade so theres one source of income and as an earlier poster mentioned it brings in a swath of cash flow to our judicial and law enforcement branches. Ill have to look this up again to be sure when i have time but almost 40% of people in prison are in there for drugs. and 80% of that 40% are in there for simple possession of pot. Prison labopr made over 1.3 billion last year alone. Not to mention with the war on drugs and the CIA running the drug trade there is alot of income that doesnt go on the books. This money is used mainly for black ops that CANNOT go on the official spending books but still MUST be paid for.

I only know about this because my father was involved in organized crime when I was a child(hes dead now) And I witnessed first hand how the Mafia and the govt work together when it suits their purposes. What happens is a collection of drugs gets slated to be destroyed after it is used as evidence.. but in many places it never gets destroyed. It goes back out on the street to make that much more money, and criminals.. from the same weed!

Sure alot of people may think Im full of crap about this but, people will always believe what they want and I cannot change that.. I can only offer my indiviual perspective and hope that it helps inform others in a way they might not have thought of before.

To think that in the land of the free we are at "war" with our own families and friends. One of the biggest hypocrisies of our govt is that they say on one hand smoking pot makes you a violent criminal and on the other they say that it makes you lazy and stupid. Well, which is it because you certainly cannot have both...

It will never be made legal and not becuase of the CIA running the trade or anything else except for this....and this is the only reason they really need... They cannopt regulate what ANYONE can grow for themselves. ANd it is because of this lack of ability to accurately regulate the industry that it will not be made legal in the future.

Let me ask you guys this... What right does the govt have to tell us what to do with our own bodies? Now dont get me wrong im not saying smoke a phat spliff and go for a drive .. becuase when you enter the public domain you are no longer just putting yourself at "risk" but also others and thats the line that should not be crossed. we have every right to do to our bodies, internally and externally, what we will we do NOT have the right to put others in jeopardy. Some may say : "but, it does effect others even if your doing it in your own home.. what about your family members?" Well in these cases that is between you and your family.

[edit on 28-5-2006 by TONE23]

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
also to answer the quesiotn about the commercial I have not seen the one where the boy gets in a fight but I HAVE seen the one where the girl melts into the sofa... Like i said in my last post They cannot have it both ways and these commercials only show the systems ignorance and desperation. Think about it the more you tell people not to do something the more apt they are to do it.. You see the system wins either way. and we all lose

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Does anyone have any credible evidence regarding the CIA and drugs, mainly pot?

I'd be interested to see what you've got.

Thanks

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Krazy, I'm sure there are people with credible evidence that links the CIA with re-distributing Marijuana and other drugs to catch more "criminals" however most of the people that have evidence against the CIA are either behind bars already or are dead. They are not the Centralized Intelligence Agency for nothing.

I'm an American but I lived in Italy and also Sicily for a while and I still keep in contact with some of my friends back there and although they were not Mafia they knew a bit about it. You are exactly right, the US government will use the Mafia when it suits there purposes and when it doesn't they will most likely look the other way.

They showed on the History Channel a few weeks back how the US Mafia helped get info on the Italian Government during WW2. That is a perfect example of how the two will use each other if need be.

Recently, I have heard that the Mafia has started working more with Arabs. This has supposedly been a trend for the last 10 years or so. Southern Italians are disgusted by this and fear that in the future there might be a closer connection between the Mafia and Islamo-terrorism.

While I am not certain that I can pin the responsibility soley on the CIA for the intolerance of Marijuana I would be willing to state that it is because of the federal government. Big Business controls this Country and whatever makes Big Biz the most money, DC considers to be the right choice for "America."

Tone, the US government is closer than ever to Socializing our Health Care and if that happens we are not that far away from our government telling us what we can put into our body and what we can't. This will apply for both drugs and later on food. This policy will be used in an attempt to lower our Health Care costs, will it work? No.

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Does anyone have any credible evidence regarding the CIA and drugs, mainly pot?

I'd be interested to see what you've got.

Thanks

Nothing on pot yet since I have but a few moments right now but something involving coke that you might find interesting5 ton coke bust a thread by another member of this site dgtempe.

when I get some more time, I will try to find some other links for you. hopefully centering on our topic at hand, marijuana.

thank you for your patience

posted on May, 28 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a few more links for you,

CIA-Contra connection
Allegations of CIA narcotics trafficking
San Francisco Ring
french connection
Drug Prohibition and Political Violence: Making the Connections
CIA's drug smuggling reason enough to dissolve it
Opium Connection Afghanistan - US

None of the places I found directly talked about pot. But being they are so heavy handed in coc aine and heroin, it only makes sense that they would of course deal with the worlds largest cash crop. I will try to do some more research into it if i can, but, hopefully, this should whet your pallet in the meantime

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
Why is the US investing so much into the ongoing campaign to expel weed from the Public.

Because its a psychotrophic substance.

Haven't they been trying to do that for the last 70 years unsuccessfully?

It still exists, but not in the amount that it would if it were legalized.

Couldn't those resources be better used fighting the Meth Problem plaguing our nation or Homeland Security?

Pot is clearly a gateway drug, and most people that are doing meth, coke, and heroin started off smoking pot.

I heard a commercial on the radio in the bay area in northern california talking about marijuana making someone shop lift, has anyone EVER heard about someone doing this because of Marijuana?

Most of the peopel that I know that smoke lots of pot are relatively harmless criminals, yes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join