It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden Closed Kavkaz Center On Request From Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Swedish prosecutors closed the Kavkaz Center website after a request from Russian authorities. The website "called for war with Russia". The website is now being run from a server in Lithuania.

MosNews: Sweden Closes Chechen Separatist’s Web-Site

Swedish prosecutors have closed a web-site on which Chechen separatists promoted their ideas and called for war with Russia. The move was prompted by a request from the Russian authorities

The owner of the hosting company yesterday received a call from the international prosecutor’s office in Stockholm, requesting a meeting. “They came to the office and held a short meeting about our relationship to the client. Someone from the National Criminal Investigation Department also took part,” the owner explained. “The prosecutor then decided to search the premises and to confiscate two servers.” “I see this as an outrage. I don’t agree with what’s written on the website but I respect their right to free speech.”

TT News agency said on Friday that the internet address of the closed web-site was linking to a temporary homepage with identical content, hosted in a server in Lithuania.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The "right to free speech" was mentioned here... So is Russia deciding what is allowed to be hosted on servers in Sweden now?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Maybe I am getting a bit confused here but are you objecting to Russian authorities requesting that the Chechen separatist mantra of war mongering or the promoting purley of the ideas of these separatists?

I believe that if the comments made were purely to promote the Chechen cause then this intervention would not have been necessary, however to use a communications platform to instigate fighting (no matter what scale) should not be tolerated.

I stand behind the decision of the Swedish prosecutors and although the site is still apparently available in Lithuania, I believe that Sweden has taken the correct course of action with regard to this matter.

This seems to be no more an infringment of freedom of speech than methods used to prevent the "Muslims" walking through London with "Kill Infidels" and pro terrorist chants and plackards.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:25 AM
link   
One thing is to close down the servers, but to confiscate them?!?

Is that really necessary? To confiscate the servers, as if that makes it impossible for the KAVKAZ to express their political 'un-correctness'?

So, if I write some lame story about Chiang Kai-chek kissing his momma's 'hind, the Chinese/Taiwanese Government would come to Denmark, shut down my website, and confiscate(!!!) my 'pooter?

I don't agree to the KAVKAZ' statements, but I condemn the act of the swedes, to confiscate some guys property, becasue another State 'orders' to!

[edit on 8-5-2006 by Ulvetann]

new topics

join