It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Is Russia's Next Project?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I (for some reason) feel a particular attatchment to Russian aircraft. Their planes are (and always have been) a large contender in any wars they are in. MiGs alone are sold in huge numbers to different countries. So I was wondering if anyone knew about a Next-Next-Gen project after the Su-47 Berkut and the MiG 1.44 MFI. The Berkut seems to be the latest "big thing" with its unusual forward-swept wings, but I believe Russia has no plans for producing either. Have I mentioned that all those Russian planes are really really pretty? Well wrong adjective. But they do look a whole lot nicer than a lot of new American planes, particularly the JSF. Rising cockpits and delta wings are sexy.

Mig 1.44 MFI
Clicky

Su-47 Berkut
Clicky

The Berkut can put out more than 9 G's. That is pretty stunning from my POV.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The latest design i heared about is the PAKFA.

I agree russian planes are the sexiest.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
An F-16, among other fighter aircraft around the world, can put out more than 9 G's.

Russia's next project will be in trying to keep their air force from continuing to deteriorate and dwindle away, along with getting their pilots more in-flight training than 20-30 hours a year.

seekerof

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   
The soaring oil prices have changed all that post cold war era weak Russia syndrome bit. There's lots of money and lots of investors willing to supply the money. This is true for the arms industry as well.
The latest prospects for next gen Russian a/c are the PAKFA for long range heavy load fighters(successor of the Su30+ series) and the MiG 2000I for the light weight theatre based fighters (successor to the MiG 29/35).

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Russia's next project will be in trying to keep their air force from continuing to deteriorate and dwindle away, along with getting their pilots more in-flight training than 20-30 hours a year.

seekerof

Thats got sweet FA to do with design projects.

You can be sure of one thing. To stand still is to fall behind, and I don't think they'll be aiming to do that.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The whole system is corrupted... As seekerof mentioned their pilots don't get the training they need... That will be their main priority, to let them fly... When it comes to aircraft projects, I have always believed in the Berkut...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316
Thats got sweet FA to do with design projects.

What bearing the mention has is that why keep working on or contemplating "future projects" when you cannot get anyone but a relative handful of pilots that will be able to ADEQUATELY and EFFECTIVELY fly them?

You can be sure of one thing. To stand still is to fall behind, and I don't think they'll be aiming to do that.

Proverbs are swell and all, but they do not pay Russian pilots and they do not maintain and upgrade funding of aircraft. Again, when Russian pilots are hardly getting paychecks, when Russian pilots, on average and certainly disregards those Russian Air Show teams, are getting a mere 20-30 hours ANNUALLY of actual in-flight training (say versus Japanese pilots getting 150, etc) because of LACK OF FUNDING, designing and then implementing such "future projects" aircraft platforms requires major FUNDING. Thus, if there is an all-around lack of funding, which of the above has priority--paying your pilots, maintaining and upgrading existing aircraft, and having enough existing and future pilots in-flight trained enough to adequately fly current and existing "future projects" or working on those "future projects"?

Furthermore, Russia has existing "future projects," such as the Berkut (Su-47 Firkin), the Mig/Mikoyan 1.42-44 Project, and the alleged PAK-FA. ALL of which are and have been LACKING FUNDING.

As I indicated, Russia next project had better be to pay and train existing and future pilots, while maintaining what remains of their Air Force and aircraft, adequately and effectively.

seekerof

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:44 PM
link   
You may find this interesting

paralay.narod.ru...

it takes an eternity to load etleast for me but the site has a big collection of fictional and real pics asociated with the pakfa.

And we all know that an aviation company konstantly evolves its designes and technological base to be competitive. So even if there is no order from the governmet be sure that the guys at Suhoi are looking into the future.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The cause of all the shortcomings mentioned here is lack of funding, including the low flying hours. Its got nothing to do with a corrupted system.But as I said, its all been changing sonce the turn of the millenium. 10 years from now these projects will see protoypes to say the least.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I heard that Putin wants to integrate all the design ureaus into one giant aerospace company.
Mioyan, Sukhoi, Tupolev... would form one giant burocratic firm in charge with designing everything.

Not even the USSR politburo did that...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Russia's next project will be in trying to keep their air force from continuing to deteriorate and dwindle away, along with getting their pilots more in-flight training than

I have to concur on this. Russia needs to spend money in term of training and upkeep of what it has. At this stage even if it develops the next killer application in aircraft can it afford to produce any of it?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The newest informaion I got is Rassia has already invited China to conbined develop next generation fighter. The pre-study has been completed as forewing layout based on 1.44 but will be more close to the picture showed below

The first new prototype will fiy in 2010-2012, not be late so much

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   
^^Not really emile..
Where did you get that from?
The latest (and we've been hearing this for over 5 years now...) I've heard is that Russia has NOT included China in its 5th gen fighter for reasons unknown. Maybe China has its own program and isn't interested. Maybe Russia doesn't want Chin in for security reasons. But the general perspective is that China is not in this. India has been in and out for sometime now, right form the PAK FA to the MiG 2000I and very recent reports name France as an invitee too (
).
But no mention of China.
Can you quote any recent sources emile?

[edit on 7-5-2006 by Daedalus3]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Fin, why all the elipses?

Anyways, I have always taken a shine to Russian Air Superiority fighters, such as the Su series of Flankers. Truely amazing planes. I'm not a big fan of the Su-47, I like it yes, but I'd take the Su-35 over it.

I don't really think the MiG 1.44 will go anywhere, the PAK FA seems the most promising project at the moment, and possibly the only one, I don't know where Russia is getting the market for these, other countries like India and China are beginning their own fighter programs and building their own fighters, maybe not 5th gen, but they'll get there soon enough.

And I think that before Russia goes off exporting new 5th gen fighters, they might want to look into training their own pilots before coming out with new aircraft.

Their air force isn't what it once was.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

An F-16, among other fighter aircraft around the world, can put out more than 9 G's.

seekerof

I agree. Russia can develop as many paper concepts as they like, but at the end of the day Russia cannot afford to develop anymore expensive projects - especially new aircraft of a class to surpass (or equal) the latest generation of Western kit that is hitting the streets.

Regards

[edit on 7/5/2006 by paraphi]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Mig 1.44 MFI looks more USA than Russian

[edit on 7-5-2006 by youngiceman87]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
RUSSIA's next major projects will be in their missiles and their missiles systems

time has change, and so has the theater of warfare as seen in recent events cruise missiles and advance missile systems have come into their own on the battlefield
missiles are cheap, easily massed produced and highly capable weapons platforms

RUSSIA's missile technology is highly advance
their next-generation extended long range cruise missiles, ICBM's and SLBM's will be at the four front

RUSSIA will continue to upgrade and come out with new version of the MiG-29s and SU-27/30/33/34/35/37s family

plans are underway to build 2 more TU-160 while the TU-95MS will remain the backbone of their deterrent bomber force till the end of their service life

there really isn't a need for RUSSIA to build a 5th generation fighter at this point
they are a 'very capable force" at this stage without it
hell chances of an F-22 vs an RUSSIA SU-37 engagement is slim and very doubtful

not too many country's out side of the US can afford to build a true 5th generation fighters by themselves at rates of years past

hell it took a combine effort by the UK, GERMANY, ITALY, and SPAIN just to build a 4.5 fighter

yes the F-22 is "very impressive"
but at what cost? an est. $250 million each "very expensive" by product of the COLDWAR
the F-35 won't be far behind in est. cost

and at the rate they're going soon they will have cut back or they'll have some serious problems

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Russia's next project will be in trying to keep their air force from continuing to deteriorate and dwindle away, along with getting their pilots more in-flight training than

I have to concur on this. Russia needs to spend money in term of training and upkeep of what it has. At this stage even if it develops the next killer application in aircraft can it afford to produce any of it?

OMG, tipical stupid comments
, guys this isnt if the russians are the evil, baddest of stronger, the cold war is over, this is about marketing and sales

and really start a project after the cold war could be a bless to the russian industry, besides, this is a tipical russian "way", i mean they "ensamble" their projects after the competency have showed their owns, right now to develop a new plane is a risk, just look the mediocre f22-35

[edit on 8-5-2006 by grunt2]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Lets all keep in mind that the Su-37 will never be mass-produced, I hope everyone, and anyone who decides to use the Su-37 in an argument, that the Su-37 is a technology demonstrator and never to be mass produced.

With that out of the way, I've already made my stance on Russia's next project, but if you think about, it is impossible for us to know, non of us are actually involved directly with Russain military developments, so for us to even be having this conversation, it's absurd, we're all at fault on this one.

Shattered OUT...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
There’s no question that Russia has a lot of smart people. But, Russia has her problems, among those are: 1) Russia is lousy place to live (bad weather, corruption) 2), so smart / ambitious people go someplace else 2) Russia doesn’t have sufficient GDP to fund’s it’s ambitions 3) Russia birth rate is in a dramatic decline; this really represents the greatest threat to Russia long term plans for being a world power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join