It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creature Making a Strange Noise in My Backyard At Night (Help?)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
When I was 12, I went to Vietnam for vacation, and I heard this freaky "Predator" like noise, like from the movie, scared the living shiz out of me. Four days into the ordeal, my grandma finally told me the truth, thats it was the sound lizard make when their making babies and stuff....i was like eww...but i slept well afterwards

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Without hearing your audio you leave me to make an assumption based on your descriptions.

While this may indeed be a fox, it may also be a Fisher, or whats known as a Fisher Cat here in New England.

These animals make hair raising screams that have been described as someone being raped or a child being murdered.

It's truly a frightening experience to hear their screams.

If what you heard was a Fisher, I dont blame you for freaking out a bit. They will do that to most anyone.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
On a complete guess I'd say it's more than likely a rabbit being eaten by something.
Rabbits scream when they are being attacked / mauled and I know this for fact because a while back a dog tore up one in my side yard.
Scared me when i heard it but the next day i saw parts of the mangled rabbit the dog left behind.
It was a mess and I felt bad for the poor rabbit

Granted, I havent heard your sound as the link is dead and this is a complete assumption as to a possible solution to your animal issues

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Well, here in norway in the 1800's and back, we used to sometimes get a bird some places, dubbed the "deatn bird", because it was totally black, had a breath like rotting leaves, and made an awful scream. That one lives in the amazonas now. It was very rare. People thought if they saw it, they died. Curiously, it sat in the very top of needle-trees.

Hey, I've heard a ball-lightning laugh like a crazy witch, nothing's impossible.
How far over to new jersey? hehehe ;-) Jersey devil...

If it was rustling leaves, maybe it's a tasmanian devil fighting or something? Someone may have released one. Also, another option is mountain lion. you're on the "great pacific mid-west", right? Mountain lions are out all year.

People used to think Lynx was trolls also, they would hear a "barking shreak" in the middle of the night, from some uninhabitable pile of stones on the far side of a muntain lake, etc...

Not saying "trolls" don't exist though (But they don't have crazy hair and look like plastic ones...) (I have researched this... And all evidence suggests they do. Including my intuition. If you wanna know where the dimension they inhabit is, and its relative location to ours, call the U.S. military... They have their technology now. Well some of it. The "trolls" are still way ahead with at least one piece of Rama technology. Yeah, call me crazy. BRING IT... I'm not too crazy to own guns though.)

Yeah, I forgot about hares/rabbits.

[edit on 7-5-2006 by Christian IX]

[edit on 7-5-2006 by Christian IX]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
When we lived in Alabama we had coyotes mate under our bedroom
window night after night for a few weeks. Geeeeeeze .. you'd think
that the world was coming to an end. Screeeeeching and howling and
snarling and strange other noises.

Cats at night make some rather wild mating sounds as well.

Your noises could have been critters in a romantic mood.
It is spring afterall. Romance is in the air.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Can you post a link to the sound?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
thanks for clearing that fox mystery up. i have heard that same sound many times on my deck and always wondered what animal was making it. ive even seen a fox in my frontyard once early in the morning when i was going to work so thats definitely what it is for me at least. nothing like astro observing from your deck at 12am and having that sound startle you!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Oh the disappointment! Nothing I've heard so far comes close to the sounds I have heard and none of them were anywhere near as frightening.

In my case, definately not the fox or any kind of cat I've heard, and believe me I've heard them all. The bloodcurdling whoops and screams I have heard are sustained beyond what I could replicate myself (breathwise) even while moving across a few acres of land. In addition, my neighbors were serious woodsmen and I'm certain if it were anything native (like the wild canines or felines some have suggested) they would have just told us, not denyed hearing it, let alone knowing what it was.

Every now and then someone has a story like this on ATS and I wait hope to finally hear what it was, but so far nothing has matched. Maybe someday....

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
You guys ever hear the legend of the mothman?

Mothman: The Enigma of Point Pleasant

Well for those who havent check out the link above to get the facts on where the tale got famous... well, becides the damn movie. which was also ok, i guess.

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

If you havent seen the movie or heard the legend check this link. In short the movie loosely tells the legend in a "now/in the short future" kind of setting instead of how the legend went down in the 60's i do believe.

But this is a very unrealistic solution to the "scary noises". sure. IS the noise a fox, most likely. cats either in heat or eating rabbits, maybe. a bobcat, coon, skunk, snake, a buttcrack, gary coleman, lobster... hey maybe ? who am I to say what it was ? but just maybe... this mothman solution may have some merritt.

Here are some links to some mothman sites that explains some siteings and more of the legend in further detail. that are kind of similar to his claims of his situation of the scary noise, the big 'thing' walking around in the woods, ect...

Mothman Lives

The Mothman File

Articles About The Mothman and Point Pleasent, WV

Cool Site That Investigated The Mothman Appearences Area In Point Pleasent, WV

Enjoy.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It sounds ridiculous, but I encountered a frog- with a baby on its back- in my garden, screaming like a banshee at my cat! I didn't even know frog could make such a noise, absolutely terrifying.

I suppose if any living creature feels terror it will react in such a way. Who knows what we would sound like when faced with great peril!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
For those of you interested in hearing the sound I recorded out my window, here's the link.

I've taken the suggestion to upload my .wav file on putfile.com, so hopefully it'll finally work. What a pain in the butt this has been trying to figure out!

media.putfile.com...

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I suppose it could be a fox.

But it could be an owl. Owl's are nocturnal too. Owls don't fly south for the winter. Some types of owls sound like that.

www.geocities.com...

www.cheekwood.org...

[edit on 5/7/06 by makeitso]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Apparently panthers also make the same noises.
So it might not be a fox.
Then you'll have to look out for a panther.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Anti Chris
Apparently panthers also make the same noises.
So it might not be a fox.
Then you'll have to look out for a panther.

A panther in Connecticut?!

Sounds like she might be in the same situation as these folks in Ohio:

www.wkyc.com...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
As soon as I read your description I thought "fox". They have the ability to imitate their prey. They often imitate distress calls to get animals to come within striking distance.

When I was 15, a friend and I went on a hunt for a pack of wild dogs that was terrorizing everything including humans. We were walking up an old logging road at around 1:00am. It was pitch black outside and we kept our flashlights off so as not to advertise ourselves. As we were creeping along I suddenly heard what sounded like a human baby scream in the thicket not 5 ft. from me. The hairs on the back of my neck not only raised but I think they pulled themselves right out of the skin. Lucky for me my friend knew it was a fox and quickly calmed me down. A couple of other weird and frightening things happened that night but I'll leave that for another time.

Also, just to clear some things up, raccoons do come out in winter and forage like many animals. Deer (whitetails) mate right at the end of the rut. This is late October early November. As for the sounds they make, they are guttural. They also snort. Bobcats can also mimic other animals.

Do you have Coyote's in Connecticut? They are invading more and more in places they are not native to.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It's definitely something that flies ;-)

Some owl or other bird.

[edit on 8-5-2006 by Christian IX]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
wish i could help ya out, but "the file id is not valid" sorry man...

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
For everyone who missed it is a fox.
I found some sound clips and apparently Call 3 is a match. Have a listen to the clips, they're quite freaky

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl

Originally posted by Xeros
I've just found some fox calls audio. Have a listen and tell me if they're similar or not. Call 1 Call 2 Call 3 and the rest are Here

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Xeros]

[edit on 6-5-2006 by Xeros]

Yes! Absolutely, call number 3 is almost an exact match to what I recorded.
Thank you. Case closed.

I can sleep well now knowing it's just a cute little fox.

But darn, what a hell of an eerie sound that is.

See Landis, it's not a coon.

posted on May, 11 2006 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Are you able to put a tape recorder out there? Now that would be great to ceitch that thing in the act, then all of us here can compare it to other sounds that have been recorded!
At least if your able to do that, and if the answer is found, you will have peace of mind!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Google Barn Owl, I think you have your "monster" there.

Regards

Logic

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join