It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creature Making a Strange Noise in My Backyard At Night (Help?)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I need some help identifying what type of creature is making this eerie noise in my backyard. I just woke from a deep sleep when I heard a shrieking, ear piercing, yelp-like....it sounded like a woman screaming. I immediately grabbed my cell phone, stuck it out my window and recorded the noise it was making...then transfered it into wav. format onto my computer. It's unlike anything I've ever heard before in my life. I'm going to have trouble going back to sleep.

Have a listen for yourself, this is creepy.

www.savefile.com...

If anybody knows what the heck kind of animal this is, please tell, or else I'm going to be having a lot of sleepless nights.

[edit] you may have to turn the volume up on your computer to get the full effect of the sound because it's a recording from my cell phone to my computer

[edit] Tried to host the file numerous times, this time it's successful. Scroll down to where it says "Download"

[edit on 5/6/2006 by jeepin4x4girl]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Sounds like a bird to me...... of course.... not to scare you.....they say bigfoots make a similiar noise, except more sustained

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Theres no way it can be a bird, seeing that it was 3 o' clock in the morning. As I listened to it after recording the noise, it sounded as if it was traveling on foot thru the woods because I could hear the leaves and twigs rustling about underneath it as it moved...whatever it is, it has to be fairly big.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I'm so bummed - Your link isn't working for me.

From what you describe, it sounds like it might be something I heard in the woods of NY when I lived there and am still trying to find out what it is. I am dying to hear it. Can you check your link?

Thx

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I vote big foot.....

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Link doesnt work for me either.

Could it be a Loon? They make the strangest noises.

Pie

[edit on 6-5-2006 by ThePieMaN]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
The link is not working for me either, but I am going to put forth a guess based on the post….

A peacock.
The police actually get calls from people thinking it’s a woman or a child crying for help. The first time I heard one, I luckily called a police officer friend of mine or I would have made the same mistake.

I don’t think that they normally inhabit the northeast, but perhaps you have a neighbor that is raising some.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Still dying to hear the recording myself, but I will say this. The noise I heard was so chilling that I was unable to move to wake my husband. Nothing has ever done that to me.

It would return every year about the same time, so it seemed to be a migrating beast of some sort. It affected the behavior of all domestic animals severely.

Others who had lived on the mountain long before me refused to acknowledge they knew what I was talking about, even though one year at least three other homes turned on their lights during one of the incidents at 3 in the morning.

In my case, a local nature expert came to me with recordings of all native species on tape that he thought would be what I described, and none of them came close.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Link doesnt work for me either.

Could it be a Loon? They make the strangest noises.

Pie

[edit on 6-5-2006 by ThePieMaN]

it sounds alot like a loon....its is a high pitched shriek in short bursts.....I have heard peacocks and yes they sound like someone crying for help. its eeerie if you hear them but I dont think this is what this is....Id bet a loon.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
One night I heard a really creepy scream coming from outside my bedroom window and it absolutely terrified me- it sounded like a like a person screaming. Being as brave as I am, I sent out my mum's boyfriend to investigate, and apparently it was a deer. He said that it was the male's mating call, and it could well be what you're hearing, it does sound creepily human-ish.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Dude, it's a coon.

City slickers.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Landis
Dude, it's a coon.

City slickers.

Oh, you heard the link? Just for the record I'll be the first to say I spent 40 years in the woods, and you are making quite an assumtion there "Dude".

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Landis
Dude, it's a coon.

City slickers.

Uhm, excuse me, I've been living in the country for years now, I'm no "city slicker." By the way, are you hawaiian or from hawaii?

I've never heard anything like it before in my life....neither has my father, and he's been living here in the same place for over 50 years.

I don't know about the peacock, or loon....seeing that I live in Connecticut, we don't have those things here wild, and I doubt my neighbors are raising peacocks because I live in a development.

For the people that cannot listen to the file, I tried fixing it, hopefully it'll work for you, but apparently, you need quicktime to listen to it.

P.S. - Also, my father says he's heard the same noise at night in the dead of winter, so that pretty much rules out racoon, or any sort of bird, it COULD possibly be a deer, but they don't mate in the winter do they?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've heard it before.... when I was younger, it used to scare the PISS out of me... it literally sounded like a shrieking witch in the woods or something. Then I learned what it was, some sort of animal (I forget which one).

When I hear it now, I just laugh out loud. It sounds ridiculous.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I can't get the link to work so I can only guess at what the noise may be. Have you ever heard a cat get into a rabbitts nest? It's the most ear shattering God awful screech, especially at 3:00 a.m., so it could be your culprit. Also, cat's mating can be quite alrming in the middle of the night as it sounds like a person moaning or screaming. Would love to hear the recording though to be sure.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl

Also, my father says he's heard the same noise at night in the dead of winter, so that pretty much rules out racoon

It's a coon. Are you saying coons don't come out in winter?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I've never seen a coon outside during the winter, we leave our garbage cans and they aren't touched throughout the winter months. Only when spring rolls around the corner do we get our garbage bothered by the coons.

You know what really pisses me off? There seems to be a whole bunch of people around here that are the "know it all" types, people who totally think they know it all and disregard anything else somebody has to say. This needs to stop.
At least act civil and discuss things in a respectful manner without hints of sarcasm.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
The link still doesn't work for me, it's says I'm not authorized to view it. I tried registering on the site but that didn't help.

Oh well - I really wanted to hear this.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeepin4x4girl

You know what really pisses me off? There seems to be a whole bunch of people around here that are the "know it all" types, people who totally think they know it all and disregard anything else somebody has to say. This needs to stop.
At least act civil and discuss things in a respectful manner without hints of sarcasm.

Back at ya'. I've lived in the frickin' woods for 50 fricking' years. I know a thing or two about what goes on out here.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Living in the woods of Hawaii, yeah?

Anyways, I've tried my best to upload the file using various applications so you could all hear it, unfortunately, it seems to want to keep opening the file in Quicktime format....the only suggestion I could give is to download quicktime in order to hear it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join