It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google VS. Microsoft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I made this thread in the interest of hearing what the other members on this board have to say about Google, in comparison to Microsoft. I'm wondering if you think that Google will "overtake" Microsoft within the next few years, or if Microsoft will remain dominant. They have been in a sort of "company battle" for quite a while now, and some are even calling for government intervention.

WARNING: Fairly Long Read, mostly informative.

First, I'd like to start off by giving basic information about Microsoft and Google.

Microsoft was founded in 1975 by Bill Gates and Paul Allen. As of early 2006, Microsoft's market cap is around 239.42 billion US dollars. Annual sales total around 41.36 billion dollars, and its two founders are among the richest men in the world; quite literally, as you might know. Bill Gates is the Founder and Executive Chairman of Microsoft, worth an estimated somewhere in the 50-60 billion dollar range. The other founder, Paul Allen is worth an estimated 22.7 billion dollars. Microsoft employs around 64,000 people. Microsoft is an international computer technology corporation.

In contrast, Google has was founded in 1998, and by 2006 had a market cap of $117.16 billion. Google is also run with a system of only 6,800 employs; with is less than 1/9 the employees of Microsoft. Important leaders in Google are Eric Schmidt, Sergey Brin, and Larry Page. Their fortunes, respectively, are $4.8 billion, $12.9 billion, and $12.8 billion. Google originally started as an American public corporation that managed a popular internet search engine; and is now the largest internet search company in the world.

Microsoft has, in the past, in many people's opinions, is a company guilty of "abusive monopoly" and of using "Embrace, Extend, and Extinguish" business strategy.

In comparison, Google is growing incredibly fast, even faster than Microsoft did in its growth to the largest computer technology corporation worldwide. Microsoft seems to realize this 'threat', and doesn't intend on ignoring it.

They've said it before and now they're saying it again: within the next six months, Microsoft claims "we'll be more relevant than Google." So said Microsoft's Neil Holloway, president for Europe, the Middle East and Africa at a Reuters conference this week, and he's talking specifically about search. The last time Microsoft trumpeted about besting Google at its own game was about a year and a half ago, when the company unveiled an independent MSN Search; of course, the software giant lost badly, as Google currently commands a domineering 50 percent share of search volume, compared with MSN Search's 12 percent.

For many years, Microsoft has been able to not truly come out with anything "new" or "revolutionary"; many believe because they buy out all challenging ideas, and either use them as their own or just don't allow them to enter in the market. Now Google's rate of output, in terms of technological innovations, is "far greater than Microsoft's" and if "Microsoft doesn't speed up its rate of creation, then it will surely be overtaken by Google within the next two years". Google isn't limiting itself to only its earch engine either; they recently bought 5% of all of AOL's shares, spending over 1 billion dollars. The reason for this is said to be:

This move will imply that Google will pass beyond text-based advertising in order to give AOL the possibility to sell graphical ads in Google's network.

Microsoft isn't the only one fearing the new "superpower"; a report from about 2 weeks ago talks of possible combined efforts by eBay, Yahoo, and Microsoft to stop or slow the Google threat.

eBay is reportedly in talks with both Yahoo and Microsoft on how they can work together to counter the threat from Google.

eBay has good reason to worry, as Mountain View, California-based Google has increasingly been encroaching on its online commerce turf. Last June, for example, Google announced that it was developing a secure online payment system, and in October it began testing Google Base, a free online service for classified ads

eBay is reportedly going to transfer a large portion of its annual advertising money towards other companies, and minimize the $400 million dollars it spends annually on Google advertising.

eBay is also a large Google customer, with $400 million of its annual online-marketing budget going to Google, according to the WSJ article.

An attempt at winning the battle against Google by Microsoft is doubling the investments in MSN, in an attempt to surpass Google.

"Microsoft will increase investments in MSN and its other online businesses to $1.6 billion next year as it escalates a battle with Google, its chief executive said Thursday." writes New York Times.

There is also the popularized rumor that Google is moving into Microsoft's "homeland", in developing a new operating system.

Rumours of Google's potential foray into the world of desktop operating systems continue unabated. Following claims that Google is building an operating system based on Ubuntu by The Register yesterday, screen shots have started appearing on the Web, purportedly of the mythical operating system

This potential operating system has been giving several codenames, such as "G" and GooOS.

MAIN POINT:

With the massive growth in the past few years of Google, combined with its current low employee numbers, and high numbers of technological innovations, how do members of the site feel about whether Google will overtake Microsoft over the next few years, or if the supposed Microsoft-Google-eBay alliance will be able to halt Google's growth and "threat". Also, do you think Google will continue to develop 'things' at the rapid pace it has been lately, and do you believe a Google operating system will become reality? And finally, do you Google as a company with morale?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well that first post was EXACTLY 6000 characters, all the way down to the last question mark. So, here were some sources I used in basic research and news articles:

news.softpedia.com...

publications.mediapost.com...

www.hunterstrat.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.osnews.com...

www.redherring.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Also, do you guys believe that Google will witness the same kind of annual growth that it has in recent years?

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Omniscient]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

How do members of the site feel about whether Google will overtake Microsoft over the next few years, or if the supposed Microsoft-Google-eBay alliance will be able to halt Google's growth and "threat".

Google is in the information managment business. Microsoft is in the business of making money regardless of who they trample on the rout to greater riches. Google is the favorite in my mind atm.

Also, do you think Google will continue to develop 'things' at the rapid pace it has been lately?

No, because they are in danger of bloating their company much as Yahoo and Microsoft did during the 90s. There is a reason why GOOG only hires PHD's, they're smart and will not make this mistake. Once their main revenue streams get cemented in thier business model, then all they'll have to do is refine, refine, refine. Exactly the opposite of what MSFT did/does.

Do you believe a Google operating system will become reality?

Like XP/Vista? No. They will continue to support the FLOS movement though as it helps to break the MSFT stranglehold they currently have. I doubt they will go down the rout of a proprietary GOOGOS.

And finally, do you Google as a company with morale?

Morale or Morals?

Morale, they have it in spades. One fo their policies is to give their employees 1 day a week to work on their own projects, which is how Google Maps came to be.

Morals, they will continue to sacrifice them as they get bigger and bigger and eventually they'll just be another faceless corporation. This is already happening right now.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I meant both morale and good morals; I ran out of space.

Thanks for your ideas on the subject.

No, because they are in danger of bloating their company much as Yahoo and Microsoft did during the 90s. There is a reason why GOOG only hires PHD's, they're smart and will not make this mistake. Once their main revenue streams get cemented in thier business model, then all they'll have to do is refine, refine, refine. Exactly the opposite of what MSFT did/does.

Yeah, I believe Google is expanding its company, while still keeping it precise; if that makes any sense.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Omniscient]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Microsoft makes operating systems, office software, development software for programmers, games, video and photo editing, server software, plus tons of other misc. products.

Google has a search engine and a few other cliche products.

How exactly do you expect Google to outgrow Microsoft? Not every person who owns a computer has internet. Not every person who has the internet uses google. On the other hand every person who has a computer has an operating system. Google might obliterate MSN search but I doubt it's going obliterate Microsoft as a whole.

I would say that it is impossible unless Google comes out with GoogleOS. Or Unix becomes REALLY popular.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImplementOfWar
How exactly do you expect Google to outgrow Microsoft? Not every person who owns a computer has internet. Not every person who has the internet uses google. On the other hand every person who has a computer has an operating system. Google might obliterate MSN search but I doubt it's going obliterate Microsoft as a whole.

I would say that it is impossible unless Google comes out with GoogleOS. Or Unix becomes REALLY popular.

There has been talk of Google expanding its range of products; as well as the possible GoogleOS that there has been lots of talk of. Even as "just a search engine" it has managed to get itself a market cap of nearly half of Microsoft's in just a few years. Microsoft sees Google as a threat, and likewise with Google seeing Microsoft as a threat. They both 'want' to take the other down; how this will come about, since they are both mainly in separate divisions of marketing, I do not know.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Just one of the thing that google bought out was a company that developed a word processing application that works over the internet...

I only have time for a quick search (on google lol and inbetween revising) but here a link

software.silicon.com...

Now I think microsoft are going down this road with thier office product through their live product range...that is my thoughts at least.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
With Google's recent purchase of 5% of AT&T, do any of you believe that Google has the potential to eventually buy over the company?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
will be intressting to see their OS. would also be very very nice if they did a linux wich would run all the windows applications/games maybe this already exists in Lindows or some other form.. i don't know that much about linux'es.. have never used Linux for anything.. but an OS that would run all the games/apps that most home users would like to run would be welcome competition to MS. From the user perspective of course

Im not saying that this is what Google is trying to do, but it would be great if it was.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I think metacrawler beats google..

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverSurfer
will be intressting to see their OS. would also be very very nice if they did a linux wich would run all the windows applications/games maybe this already exists in Lindows or some other form.. i don't know that much about linux'es.. have never used Linux for anything.. but an OS that would run all the games/apps that most home users would like to run would be welcome competition to MS. From the user perspective of course

Oddly enough, most of the rumors that I've heard about the supposed GoogleOS say that it IS similar to Linux, except it can run Windows applications. Of course this is all just rumors; Google hasn't even confirmed an OS. Would be nice if they did make one though; I'm becoming more impressed with them every week.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is a few month's or more old but I figured It's related to what's being discussed about google getting into the os market.

Google is preparing its own distribution of Linux for the desktop, in a possible bid to take on Microsoft in its core business - desktop software.

A version of the increasingly popular Ubuntu desktop Linux distribution, based on Debian and the Gnome desktop, it is known internally as 'Goobuntu'.

Source/TheRegister.co.uk

My personal thought's are ubuntu would be a very good starting point for something to rival windows but I'm not sure how i feel about google these days the companys definitely not the good guy it used to be in my opinion.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Wow, thanks for the link Teknikal; I didn't think Google had confirmed anything yet.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
IMO the future is a sort of distributed computing model you will tap into or utility computing like you get electricity. I think the way to go would be to have a terminal hooked up to the internet athtw ould boot the OS from a server online. google has spoke of an OS as well as office apps. I think it would appeal to lots of people to have the OS boot from an online server where Google engineers patch it, optimize for performance, backup all your data etc... Another benefit in my mind is that expensive hardware upgrades would be done on the server side so you would only need a basic dummy terminal that doesnt really have to compute much, yet you could still have a blazingly fast computer.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
IMO the future is a sort of distributed computing model you will tap into or utility computing like you get electricity. I think the way to go would be to have a terminal hooked up to the internet athtw ould boot the OS from a server online. google has spoke of an OS as well as office apps. I think it would appeal to lots of people to have the OS boot from an online server where Google engineers patch it, optimize for performance, backup all your data etc... Another benefit in my mind is that expensive hardware upgrades would be done on the server side so you would only need a basic dummy terminal that doesnt really have to compute much, yet you could still have a blazingly fast computer.

Ohhh at the rate computing is going we have surpassed that level, Id hate to think what kind of server and software/hardware youd need to make a global mainframe.

on the other hand a google OS would be cool, however it being a linux distro....excuse me while I barf......

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Interesting read

Personally, can't see Google, or anyone else for that matter, developing an OS that will overtake Microsofts. I'm not saying they'll never be one better in term of performance and realiability, as there's a few out there now, but in terms of accessability and versitilaty.

Microsoft have a niche in this area due to the software used for programs, mainly Direct X, which Microsoft develope and design. This is the main reason you don't see alot of Mac games compared to PC games. So if they were to make an OS, they've have to find a way of using Direct X, which would result in money going to Microsoft in some shape or form.

Software developers generally don't have the time/want to lose money, converting code into a new langauge, which is why Direct X has been used for so many years now, and has even started to be used in the Console wars. So in that sense Microsoft have a get out of jail free card in terms of their Operating System being used by gamers/software users.

Of course I could be wrong about this, but it's just my feeling on the matter.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I've been using Ubuntu linux for more than a year now, and am very interested in "Goobuntu", google's version of Ubuntu.
Unfortunately, both Google and the Ubuntu foundation have denied google is working on its own Ubuntu linux version. Some employees of Google only use a modified version of Ubuntu internally. Since Ubuntu is an open-source GNU/Linux distribution, anyone can modify it.

Anyway, I don't think Google has much to fear from microfoft just yet,as they've just postponed the release of their new Vista OS yet again, and pretty much left all the interesting new technology out of the new OS. IE7 will be a problem for google, because MS' new Live Search is the default browser in it.
When you compare lay-outs & usability between Google, MS Live Search and Yahoo, Google is by FAR better, IMHO.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chriswok
Interesting read

Personally, can't see Google, or anyone else for that matter, developing an OS that will overtake Microsofts. I'm not saying they'll never be one better in term of performance and realiability, as there's a few out there now, but in terms of accessability and versitilaty.

Microsoft have a niche in this area due to the software used for programs, mainly Direct X, which Microsoft develope and design. This is the main reason you don't see alot of Mac games compared to PC games. So if they were to make an OS, they've have to find a way of using Direct X, which would result in money going to Microsoft in some shape or form.

Software developers generally don't have the time/want to lose money, converting code into a new langauge, which is why Direct X has been used for so many years now, and has even started to be used in the Console wars. So in that sense Microsoft have a get out of jail free card in terms of their Operating System being used by gamers/software users.

Of course I could be wrong about this, but it's just my feeling on the matter.

This is the main reason for the popularity of Microsoft's products is because of the universality of them.

I can walk into wal-mart grab a game or some other piece of software and I dont even have to check the OS it runs on. I know it runs on windows.

every piece of hardware and software I buy I know will run on my system. I dont have to check the box under the compatibility....

unlike Mac OS or linux which require special versions of the same software, if it is even offered for those systems.

So good marketing and business skills on part of microsoft? Id say yes as 90% of products are designed by the Windows standard.

I think this is why Apple has come up with boot camp. Apple's hardware will be far more attractive if it will run the most commonly used OS as well as Mac OS.

Microsoft are not innovative geniuses, in fact most of their products are rip offs of other companies whose business skills are somewhat not to the level of microsoft.

the introduction of a desktop that looks remarkably similiar to Apple's in win 95?

Windows NT, whose majority of code was developed with the cooperation of IBM and Microsoft for OS/2. ripped off and renamed NT.

Active Directory is a rip off of Novell's directory service.

hell DOS was not even a microsoft invention, simply an improved version was made MS-dos.

[edit on 9-5-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
This is the main reason for the popularity of Microsoft's products is because of the universality of them.
[edit on 9-5-2006 by XphilesPhan]

Yeah, that's a good point. But, it also takes time to gain that universality; Google might be able to accomplish it in a period of years.

Microsoft are not innovative geniuses, in fact most of their products are rip offs of other companies whose business skills are somewhat not to the level of microsoft.

Yup; Microsoft is accustomed to buying out 'upcoming' technologies.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Go google Go , i trust them more than M$ windows sp2 is the worst OS of humanity and xbox is the lamest game console ever created.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join