It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gasoline Pill Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Don't know if you have heard of this yet, but there is a pyramid type scheme around selling these supposedly fantastic pills that when you put it into your gas tank helps you get increased mileage. Sounds too good to be true?

I think so. After hearing the spiel which basically give them $500 upfront, you get a bottle of the pills, and a website link to sell to others... then you pay $60 a month for additional bottles. Of course once you hear the "selling" part your alarm bells should go off warning of a possible pyramid scheme, which is what I believe this to be. So I did some research and it seems this is indeed a scam which preys on upon the already victims of high gas prices.

Can a Pill Reduce Your Gas Costs?

AAA: No Magic Pill For Gas Price Blues

so before this scam reaches your neck of the woods, beware and take heed, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Want to save money on gas, conserve energy.

[edit on 5-17-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Good advice. When I saw the title for this post, I thought you might have the inside scoop on Beano or Gas-X. Turns out, it's about gasoline.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have seen this scam around here, that was the first thing I thought of when approched. The stuff smells like moth balls, and has a green color too it. I've actually got a free sample in powered form along with his "fliers"/print out with details, I saw the bottled pills too. Could get finger prints off of that, if need be, but he would probably claim ignorance.

Been meaning to have the sample checked out at the local university, but havnt had the time. That scam could get big, this is in West Michigan where I saw it. I bet the internet appeal makes it possable for any one to find it no matter where they are.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Mothballs dissolved in gasoline will have an effect of increasing octane. It should give you slightly better milegae with a well tuned machine, but not enough to justify doing it unless you're looking to shave .001 off a lap time making .05% more hp by increasing octane a bit. It's an old racing trick.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
That's a good scam, if it's based on some shred of truth. A lot of people will fall for it.

Good thinking WW, putting the word out. Hopefully folks will think twice and, as you say, just drive less. It aint hard, that's why we have feet. Of course that's not an option for some, be they disabled or elderly. And the elderly often bear the brunt of scammers anyway, this one might hit that demographic doubly hard.

It might behoove elder abuse activists to take special notice of this scam, and variations on it, and make an effort to raise awareness.

But of course the old saying rings true, a fool and his money are soon parted. You can't do enough to help some folks make good decisions...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I believe it all.
Where do I send my check?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That's not a pyramid scheme, it's "structured marketing", yeah, that's the new term.

This type of scam became popular back in the 70s during the embargo. Don't be surprised if you start hearing more rumors about cars that run on water too.

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Go Texas!!

Texas Takes Aim at 'Gas Pill'

I hope more states start cracking down on this scheme.

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Mothballs dissolved in gasoline will have an effect of increasing octane. It should give you slightly better milegae with a well tuned machine, but not enough to justify doing it unless you're looking to shave .001 off a lap time making .05% more hp by increasing octane a bit. It's an old racing trick.

Higher octane is only beneficial for cars with a high compression ratio because it prevents the gas from igniting prematurely. Higher octane doesn't make any difference for most cars.

There's a bunch of other "mileage increasing scams," including a super-carburator, magnet thing, hydrolisis machine, etc. They tested them on a TV show called "Mythbusters" and found them all to be fake.

[edit on 30-5-2006 by mach]

posted on May, 30 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I think I remember seeing something like this on an old episode of "The Munsters." Only it was a machine that extracted gold from seawater. They were always involved with some kind of scammers. Dance lessons, ghost town real estate, etc.

posted on Jun, 16 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I really liked watching the munsters....

posted on Jun, 27 2006 @ 07:54 AM
link   
plp are so stupid dont they know never to buy anything like that with out doing some research on it jeez

top topics

join