It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming is our fault... on Jupiter?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There are currently numerous topics about how global warming is a result of what humans are doing as well as more frequent and powerful storms including hurricanes and tornados. All of these blame us. Humans.

However, according to this article from space.com Jupiter is also heating up.

...that Jupiter is in the midst of a global change that can modify temperatures by as much as 10 degrees Fahrenheit on different parts of the globe.

Hopefully this will help shift the global warming debate from what are likely false causes and placing the blame to more constructive views on how to adapt and deal with a changing environment.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Why does this change anything?

We know that the earth has warmed up in the past, before there were even humans. We also have a good grip on the drivers and forcers of planetary climate. None of those driving forces explain the current warming.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Warming on Jupiter is an interesting coincidence but it does not necessarily have the same cause as GW on Earth.

If the warming were related it would have to be due to the sun, the only relevant factor the Earth and Jupiter share.
The sun is being watched and measured very carefully by astronomers and it is not the primary cause of our current climate change.

Hopefully this will help shift the global warming debate from what are likely false causes and placing the blame to more constructive views on how to adapt and deal with a changing environment.

Adapting to GW is essential to our survival and our governments need to make plans now. However knowing the cause and preventing further damage is just as important.

[edit on 5/5/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
But Mars is also warming.
www.mos.org...

And we share much more than just the sun. We are giong through space together. I recall reading that our solar system would be entering into an area of "cosmic debris", perhaps that is what is happening. Perhaps the vacuum of space isn't as absolute as it was in our previous location and that debris is storing heat and also acting to reflect the sun back around acting like an insulator. Or even friction from moving through this debris.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
But Mars is also warming.
www.mos.org...

Yes, the title of that article "Global Warming on Mars?"
Emphasis on the question mark.

There is very little evidence to go on when it comes to GW on Mars. So far the only evidence out there is that picture found on your link.
This is one area, a single icey region in the southern hemisphere, that shows melting over a period of two years (less than on Martain Year.)
On Earth, we have poles melting, surface temperature rising, permafrost melting, glaciers world wide melting, CO2 concentrations increasing, ect...
There is no comparing this mountain of data on Earth to a few photographs of a single region on Mars.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Yes, the title of that article "Global Warming on Mars?"
Emphasis on the question mark.

Here you go, no question mark.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

Unfortunately, most of the research that has historically been done on GW here on Earth has been very much to prove an active and popular agenda.

Do I think we need to be more responsible ecologically? Yes. Do I think that polution has a negative impact on our health? Yes. Do I think that we are the cause of, or even a major contributor to global warming? No.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Let's not forget that Jupiter radiates more heat, than it recieves from the Sun.
Jupiter could be causing it's own global warming..

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran

Do I think we need to be more responsible ecologically? Yes.
Do I think that polution has a negative impact on our health? Yes.
Do I think that we are the cause of, or even a major contributor to global warming? No.

i agree in general, but with some reservation..

there are a lot of factors that have more impact than mans' pollution & fossil fuel burning. but as china, india, central asia, africa evolve and want a piece of the pie that america and the other G-8 have attained (at the expense of others)
and if their development follows a similarmodel of development,
then mans impact will shoot to near the top of the long list of climate change factors.

FYI, radon gas increases into the atmosphere as the moon waxes in its 4 wk cycle.

there's also lots of undersea volcanic activity changing the ocean current/ heat transfer mechanism, which alters the air currents over the oceans, etc

for every 'chernobel' disaster, there are other Mt St Helens or Tsunamis that are magnitudes of devestation worse than the man-made-environmental changes.

When the vast herds of buffalo/bison were nearly obliberated, mans steam locomotives replaced the flatulence that was no longer produced by the critters...
it all generally equals out!

join