It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The reason for elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 12:06 AM
link   
ok i just thought of this i didn't read it or any sort of thing, but what if the only reason they have elections for our leaders is so we will not blame the whole government system but the leader, then then we don't attribute things as much to the whole governmetn as the government of a certain politician what do u think

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Put the joint down, Banjo, and walk away from it.

"They", when you say they, who do you mean?

When you say "The whole government", do you mean the rest of the elected officials and appointed officials, or do you mean the government (as documented) itself?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Haven't these people heard of books?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 03:25 PM
link   
i've heard of books, what does it have to do with this?

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 06:03 PM
link   
very interesting thinking about the elections....I think there might be , at least a little something to it. imagine if people did start doing what they should do and blame 'the govt' for its mistakes...not just the republican or dems. politicians generaly don't do things for 'the good of the people' and even if they did, they can easily be presuaded to change thier vote.....it happens all the time...(the military 'stryker' program for example) generaly american don't care about what happens in the govt unless it affects them directly....and when i say directly, i mean that the cops would have to beat the crap out of them during a trafic stop or the state come and take their home.. just because. we live in the biggest 'democracy' (actualy constitustional monarchy), we have loads of freedoms that most others countries don't (that is being slow eroded away, so slowly that most will not notice untill it is to late) but yet most voting people in this country don't vote and don't care and don't pay attention. i geuss with the mind set of most people, i would want them to vote anyhow........

posted on Oct, 19 2003 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I can't beleive I am actually responding to this thread. If their are no elections, who cares who is blamed. The dictator knows he is, and doesn't really give a #.
The reason for elections is ideollogy. Democracy is a wonderful experiment. It always works well for awhile, but is usually brought down by the fact that the vast majority of voters are idiots.

The most effective governments in history were those of benevolent monarchists. The major downfall withb this is that his son might not be so benevolent.

Democracy at least provides us with the option of voting out the ruling person, esp if their actions prove to be grossly poor. the problem is still...there are alot of idiot that vote, and politicians have to cater to large special interest idiot groups to get elected. A prime example is the coveted Union vote. Soem might argue that Unions are good (good luck proving that) But honestly, where i live if you are a member of the textiles union, that menas you were too daft to get the # out of the situation you were dealt. Boy I bet I have pissed off alot of people with that comment, and I know there are excpetions. And I knwo that there are some unions that work very well. But when the Big Ones get behind one candidate and that carries entire states based on some honcho up top liking the lax pension legislation that is promised to their group, does it really do the country much good?

Off the soapbox. Seriously banjo, put the reefer down.

top topics

join