It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nightmare At Downing St

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Tony Blair has carried out his biggest Cabinet reshuffle since becoming Prime Minister after Labour's drubbing in the local council elections.

The biggest casualty was under-fire Home Secretary Charles Clarke, who was sacked and replaced by John Reid.

Foreign Secretary Jack Straw was demoted to Leader of the House of Commons.

He is succeeded by Margaret Beckett who becomes the first woman to head up the Foreign Office.

Deputy PM John Prescott kept his place in the Cabinet but will no longer have his own department.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.sky.com...

Well, last night was a suprise. I could not believe the scale of the Labour loss and im still suprised by the "positive" look from Labour

Not matter what your political belief is, it was a slaughtering at the polls.

I am looking forward to seeing how well Margaret Beckett does in the Foreign Office (first women to hold the office). She is apparently not very "loving America"...so, its going to watch how relations go with America.

Deputy Prime Minster Office is scrapped, but Presscott [sic] is staying get the salary for it
the new cabinet is believed to be loyalist to Blair.

Its going to be an interesting few months.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Well, last night was a suprise.

- Really? For whom?

I can honestly say I don't know anyone connected to Labour (and I know a far few) that expected anything other than a bad night last night.

I could not believe the scale of the Labour loss and im still suprised by the "positive" look from Labour

- Perhaps it's because the tory 'success' of getting 40% of the vote is way below Labour's best of 46%.......and the fact that anyone with a reasonable eye on this recognises that the 'national swing' is less than the tory party got in 2001 (2%).

It might also be something to do with the fact that Labour understands 'the game' where zero chance at a general election means you play up every other tiny glimmer going (and inflate the importance of local government, which thanks to both tory and Labour governments now actually controls so little).

Not matter what your political belief is, it was a slaughtering at the polls.

- No.
It was a bad night at the - low turnout - local elections.

It was nothing like as bad for Labour as some want to make out, granted it wasn't 'good' but it was not a catastrophe.

I am looking forward to seeing how well Margaret Beckett does in the Foreign Office (first women to hold the office). She is apparently not very "loving America"...so, its going to watch how relations go with America.

- Indeed.
The contrast with Straw will be interesting to say the least.

Deputy Prime Minster Office is scrapped, but Presscott [sic] is staying get the salary for it

- That's a cheap partisan and tabloid-like shot.
The Dpt PM is a useful position administratively and JP seems to do a decent job at it.

the new cabinet is believed to be loyalist to Blair.

- Did you seriously expect any different?

.....and if your point is going over the old Brown-Blair ground since when would a Blair loyal cabinet have to be anti-Brown........and how on earth could that work with Brown a certainty to take over in a few years anyway?

Its going to be an interesting few months.

- Of that I have no doubt.

Although I think we will all be treated to more boring speculative nonsense ad nauseum about Brown taking over any second along with Cameron doing his "I'm the future/new" routine to death.

Also (seriously) watch out for the tory party failing to move significantly in the polls - low turn-out local elections don't count - and pressure coming to bear on DC.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The way I see it is that the conservatives didn't win in the local election, labour lost...

The BNP may have gained a couple of seats but it isn't that much, even the green party made bigger gains than them.

This in no way gives the conservative a cat in hells chance in the general election. Camerons true beliefs will come up over the next couple of years. Saying that if the consevatives dont win the next elections they never will. They're still so out of touch with what the average person wants or believes in and their polcies have barely changed from the 80's.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
What do some Americans think? I like Tony Blair. I would vote Labor if I was a Brit. (Or a Liberal Democrat) He was OK until he got hooked up with Geo W. I never really understood how Blair could get along so well with Geo W. Then, when the Labor Party lost half its majority, that was a sharp rebuke. Very sharp. Blair has not veered away enough from his association with Geo W to shake off the baggage he carries. Now, this same message to Mr. Blair is repeated. The reorganization of the Cabinet is overdue even if Labor had won both elections. But by not "winning" either, this too, will prove insufficient. Too little, too late.

Regrettably, in my opinion, Tony Blair has outlived his usefulness. He cannot tell the truth but no one believes him anymore. He is in effect, running a caretaker government.

I predict if Geo W is beaten here on November 7, the Labor government will fall. Tony must go. That is my unsolicited opinion.

[edit on 5/5/2006 by donwhite]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by donwhite
I never really understood how Blair could get along so well with Geo W.

- I think it all boiled down to that ridiculous 'with us or against us' stuff.
We were forced into a corner.

TB, rightly, took the view that the Britain might be able to exercise some much needed and very helpful restraint (much as PM Atlee did in the time of the Korean war when the loopy gang in the US were trying to get people interested in hurling nuclear weapons around over there)

I think he also believed, again rightly, that the Anglo-American link was far too important to be jettisoned over a transitory 'phenomenon' like George W & Co., no matter how dangerous and unstable they might be.

I predict if Geo W is beaten here on November 7, the Labor government will fall.

- Naaa, they're not that closely tired.

Tony must go.

- He is going.
They will mess about with the details but the upshot is that Gordon Brown (co-author of 'New labour' but not as er, for want of a better term, 'right-wing' as TB.....but don't get too carried away with that, as I said he devised the Labour strategy with TB) will be replacing TB as Labour party leader before the next general election and I expect him to fight that election as Prime Minister in waiting.

That is my unsolicited opinion.

- Very nice to hear it too, always interested in alternate views, particularly regarding how these things look from the US perspective.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
wow...so much spin

sminkeypinkey, after posts like that, im suprised Blair hasn't given you a job

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
wow...so much spin

sminkeypinkey, after posts like that, im suprised Blair hasn't given you a job

- Oh come come infinite, if I was looking a job I'd be looking for Gordon B. to be giving the OK, TB's 'shelf life' is to all intents and purposes 3yr max.

(nice avatar btw
)

[edit on 7-5-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

posted by sminkeypinkey
- I think it all boiled down to that ridiculous 'with us or against us' stuff. TB, rightly, took the view that the Britain might be able to exercise some much needed and very helpful restraint . . “

Yes. I likened Tony Blair to our “designated driver” over here. The one guy who drinks cokes to drive the others home. The French could never perform that function and the Germans carry too much baggage.

I think he also believed, again rightly, that the Anglo-American link was far too important to be jettisoned over a transitory 'phenomenon' like George W & Co., no matter how dangerous and unstable they might be. [Edited by Don W]

Again, I agree. And Good Luck to you!

PS. I call Geo W, VP Cheney, Sec Condo Rice and the Oberfuhrer America’s own Gang of Four.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by donwhite]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
if I was looking a job I'd be looking for Gordon B

opposition leader is a nice role

[spelling]

[edit on 7-5-2006 by infinite]

top topics

join