It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney speech spurs new Cold War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
In a shock move , it would seem that the speech made by Vice President Dick Cheney in Vilnius may well have restarted the cold war. Comparison`s were made to the winston churchill speech of 1946 which started the original cold war. Russia and many of its old satelite states seem to be pulling together against the allegations that were made.

reuters.myway.com
MOSCOW (Reuters) - A speech by Vice President Dick Cheney strongly critical of the Kremlin marks the start of a new Cold War that could drive Moscow away from its new-found Western allies, the Russian press said on Friday.

In shocked reaction to the harshest U.S. criticism of Moscow for years, commentators said Washington had created an anti-Russian cordon of Western-aligned states stretching from the Baltic almost to the Caspian Sea.

The Kremlin, in a reaction within hours of Cheney's delivery in Vilnius, said the speech, which was full of accusations that Moscow was limiting human rights and using its energy riches to blackmail the world, was "completely incomprehensible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well here we go again - I am so not surprised about this ; you don`t lay insult after insult on a foreign nation and expect to get away with it. Russia has nuclear weapons and are the worlds only superpower in biological weapons.
And won`t take this laying down.

The VP has directly accused them of heineous crimes, with probably little or no evidence.

All i ask is , what was he thinking!

[edit on 5-5-2006 by parrhesia]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I can't say I have a lot of sympathy for Russia, but still, a lot of what Cheney said was insinuation and untruth (what else is new). I'm not surprised at all.

I find it especially ridiculous how he questions the right of Russia (or private businesses therein) to set prices for their product being sold aborad. In this case, natural gas. That's called capitalism. I don't hear Dick Cheney coming down hard on Saudi Arabia for the price of oil they have set for us.

I expect of modicum of common sense, logic and respect towards the audience from our VP, but that is apparently too much to ask.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Oh, this is just dandy. Why didn't he just shoot a diplomat? That would be much less of a problem. Now he wants to piss off another nuclear country?

I haven't read it yet myself, but here is the text of his speech.

NC

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
From the gist of what he said it sort of irks me that he would comment on how another country acts towards it nabours when the US does the exact same thing with their nabours.

To name the latest, The Canadian Lumber dispute and two countries they presently have military action taking place, Afgan and Iraq.

Even recently I read how the US is strong arming India to not get involved with Iran. Even if the US has some objection in dealing with a country why is it threatening other countries if they do not agree with them?

I think the US is in such dire trouble that those in power are just bellowing hot air to make them selfs look larger then they are. I do not have a timetable but I will not be suprised to see the US deflate in the near future.

The US goverment is not there for the people but for large busnesses. The US, as a country, and it's individual citizens are in so much dept that it's next generation will be slaves to the rest of the world to pay off that dept. Who will they blame? Those who put them in this situtation will be long dead and those looking for payment will produce documents inform the US of what they are entitaled too.

The US does not look to the future but look to know. If countries were so interested in the future then we would not be in the situation the world is in now.

Something has to give. And blindly lashing out and adding new restrictions to strong arm the public will only backfire when the backs of others become to brittle.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So let me see if I understand this...

This speech was a response of the critism of America forming this "anti russian cordon"
of states from where the OIL IS to where THE OIL NEEDS TO BE SHIPPED!

So in Essence (forgive me from cutting to the chase, but obvious is, as obvious does)
Cheney is throwing a bunch of accusations at Russia, to detract from the criticism of America pushing around all these countries to GET HIS OIL FOR HIS FRIENDS.

Friends, Romans and Countrymen... lend me your ears...

THE VICE PRESIDENT JUST SOLD US OUT FOR HIS OIL BUDDIES!
Thanks Cheney... you may have just forced us into another cold war.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If it starts a new cold war, isn't that against the best interests of the russians, I mean, they lost the Cold War, or don't they remember?

Russia for a while now has been centralizing political power and autocratic rule within itself, and extending control over its former satellite and soviet republics. They were probably invovled in the multiple assasination attemps on Yushchenko and trying to surpress the rainbow revolution. More externally, they've been alligning states against the US, trying to block the US through at least policy.

Putin wants to be in control.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hmmmm....Suppose a Second Cold War started and Russia was in desperate need of funds for defense spending. Would that spur them to produce more oil and gas? Depressing the value?

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
If a new Cold War starts, it'll be very different from the old one. I doubt it though. The Russian leadership is more or less aligned with the gas and oil monopolies for now, and there is no real ideology involved except that of the cult of money.

As long as the Russian elite can continue stuffing its coffers regardless of what their people are going through, they could care less about global geopolitics.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
While I more or less agree with what the VP had to say about Russia, I do not think it was something the VP had to say to the public at large and especially while within that country.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

As long as the Russian elite can continue stuffing its coffers regardless of what their people are going through, they could care less about global geopolitics.

change the word `russian` for `american` and the same is also true.

each country at the bottom line looks after its own at the expence of everyone else.

[edit on 5/5/06 by Harlequin]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The VP first made references to God as protagonist of our desire for freedom, which I personally found out of place. Then, the quoted "beloved President Ronald Reagan". That somehow smacked of quoting "beloved Chairman Mao".

Then, after a few pages of further nonsense, we come to the part which is the topic of this thread:

No legitimate interest is served when oil and gas become tools of intimidation or blackmail, either by supply manipulation or attempts to monopolize transportation. And no one can justify actions that undermine the territorial integrity of a neighbor, or interfere with democratic movements.

Russia has a choice to make. And there is no question that a return to democratic reform in Russia will generate further success for its people and greater respect among fellow nations. Democratization in Russia helped to end the Cold War, and the Russian people have made heroic progress in overcoming the miseries of the 20th century. They deserve now to live out their peaceful aspirations under a government that upholds freedom at home, and builds good relations abroad.

Here's what's happening and why we are exposed to this rubbish: Poland and all need support of the US to defend their interests in the European Union dominated by France, Germany and some others. Ukarain needs the US support as well to become the member. They will prostitute themselves to no end to pursue this goal of the Ukranian elite, regardless of what it brings to the people of Ukraine. The US, on the other hand, needs puppet governments on Russia's borders to ensure the contaiment of this country. The US doesn't give crap about democracy in Russia or the condition of its people.

Therefore, Cheney has to express support for the Russia's neighbors. I just love it when he's using the word "supply manipulation". Sorry dude, if they decide they arent' willing to sell below the market price to Ukraine, that's their prerogative. Whether the contract was good or not, should be decided in courts and not in political speech.

Cheney should have thanked Russians for subsidizing the Ukranian economy with gas for such a long time. Or, if he's so concerned, he should write a check to help Ukraine pay the fair price.

I'm ashamed of this amercian "politician".

oh, and how about this hypocrisy:

The vision we affirm today is of a community of sovereign democracies that transcend old grievances

he spent a good part of his speech harping up old grievances (sometimes very old indeed) that the Baltics were ruled by imperial iron fist. If he's willing to go that far, I don't know why he didn't mention the invasion of Russia by Poles and Lithuanians a few hundred years ago. Maybe he should have chastised Lithuanians for their imperial ambitions, just to be even

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Aelita]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan

Putin wants to be in control.

Well, that could be true, but what else could be true, and this is how I see it. Putin (pootie poot
) is merely trying to keep what is Russian, Russian. He see foreign companies milking Russia and send profits (like Bolivia, which has nationalised) out of the country into foreigners pockets.

Him gaining more control is basically trying to keep Russia's wealth and interests Russian. He see's capitalism as a form of theft (as do I)

Now, I'm rusty on the details but this is how I percieve it.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

each country at the bottom line looks after its own at the expence of everyone else.

OH! this one had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes
how naive you are!

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan

Originally posted by Harlequin

OH! this one had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes
how naive you are!

rofl , how foolish - if you believe otherwise , then the motto of this site `deny ignorance` surely applies

the present adminstration looks after the oilmen - cheney`s speech just shows that is all they care about. and lets not forget peak oil and the events of the middle east

top topics

join