It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Kennedy: Drunk?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ceci, it's simple.

Kennedy's just getting high and having a good time. He's not out exposing govt involvement in 9/11, like McKinney.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Its true hes just driving like everyone else in Massachusetts....

Ambien is like the Silent Hill zombie drug, no lie! My partner of 10 years is a clinical therapist in a local hospital and shes seen the stats and many recent cases of the reported side effects.

However from these intial statements and press, it seem that hes declined to level a charge against this incredibly popular and profitable drug, maybe he really did OD, but possibly because the FDA says the directions on the box are enough to absolve all legal blame...

Ambien is the number one sleeping pill in the United States, with 26.6 million prescriptions and $2.2 billion in sales last year, the Times reported.
A spokesperson for the FDA told the Times that the drug’s label warning of side effects and alcohol use were “sufficient” and that Ambien users needed to be more careful in using the drug properly.

www.cnn.com...

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ceci2006
She does? Why do you assume that she even has a "chip on her shoulder" and Mr. Kennedy doesn't?

Because of her aggressive nature when she is supposedly sober. There's no excuse for bad behavior when under the influence, don't get me wrong.

Don't you think as a result of his family legacy, he might have "chip on his shoulder" too?

I wouldn't classify it as a chip. He never wanted for anything material in his life, being a K.

Oh no. I guess not. You wouldn't even consider that.

ceci, how do you know what I would consider?

I do agree that he does have demons he has to fight. I mean when you are part of a family well known to the press for nearly a hundred years, well you have to admit that Joe Kennedy's mantra of "Win at all costs" is part of his psychology.

Do you know anything about the Kennedy family history? Nobody I know would want to be born into that clan. But then, I could say that about other families.

I mean, when immediately after crashing those barriers with "malice", he claimed the "drug card". He might even have that "chip on his shoulder" because of his family history of tragedy. Alas, I guess the "Kennedy Curse" card has already been dealt too. Aren't people a little angry that he used his family as a crutch? Especially his father's legacy as a teetotaller back in the day? Must we even mention his mother's "accident" in front of her townhouse due to the "alcohol card"?

I didn't see him as using his family as a crutch. And you are free to bring up all the dirt you want about his mother, I guess.

I know you don't like me. But if anybody ever came in here and attacked your mom, I'd be on them like white on rice. I'm sayin', there are limits.

And I still have yet for anyone to unleash a tirade on Mr. Kennedy's character. Not surprising in the least. The pity party is still in full attendance.

This is what puzzles me the most about your post, ceci. In other threads you said that people attacked you because you said that every human being deserves basic respect.

What happened to that respect?

I'm just amazed that violence is still attributed to Ms. McKinney while Mr. Kennedy is already dealing a full deck of cards and no one bats an eyelash.

That's where you are wrong. A lot of eyebrows are being raised over him. The call for him to get out of politics is rising every day. But there is no challenger for his seat - not even from the wimpy Republicans in R.I. Same goes for his dad's Senate seat in MA.

Politics sucks. It in no way attracts the best and brightest in our society..only hangers-on and wannabes. But yet we find ourselves fighting over them.

Some day we'll all wake up and realize that the power is still in our own hands.

Oh, yeah, and truthseeka, that 911 expose' theory is crap.
Unless, of course, you have some facts to back it up.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
What a nice little diversion from this to the criminal family known as Bush!!!

Ah but these little side shows only last for 2 or 3 days---then its back to the real Bush world.

*Makes sign of the cross*

We are all humans, and make mistakes, the rest are reptilians and dont know any better

Just sayin.......

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
jsobecky,

Let's cut to the chase here. I do like you and have a lot of respect for your posts. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't answer your posts thoughtfully and take your ideas seriously. In the scheme of things, I do give people the benefit of the doubt. And if I really hated you, I would let you know right off the bat. You should know that in all of our posts, I have respected and apologized to you if need be. And I'm saying this whether you like me or not.

Secondly, I could entertain you of tales about Honey "Fitz" Fitzgerald and his political leanings in Massachusetts. I could also tell you about Joseph Kennedy, Sr.'s failed attempts of trying to become president, but instead had to settle for a diplomatic seat in England. I could tell you about the tragic lives of Joseph Kennedy Jr. and his sister, Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy. But, that is not the point. Don't you think that's a little arrogant to assume that I don't know about the Kennedy family? My family, especially my father, has collected Kennedy memoribilia for a long time. And in the steps of my Dad, I have too. I mentioned up front that I like the Kennedys and expressed my happiness that Mr. Kennedy had decided to attend the Mayo clinic to help his problem.

With that being said, I respectfully again, think that you are missing the point of my posts in this thread. Do you know how easy it is to attack Cynthia McKinney on her personality when considering her "altercation"? You don't know whether she attacked the cop with malice. As I don't know whether Mr. Kennedy hit the police barriers with malice. But, in the same way, you assume that Ms. McKinney is the devil incarnate while attaching every personal characteristic about her in the book. To top it off, you think she has a "chip on her shoulder". How in the heck do you know? Have you asked her?

And when I played devil's advocate and attacked every stereotype in the book about Mr. Kennedy, you felt the hurt and the indignity of my words and set out to rehabilitate his character. And it was equally hurtful, I bet, when I put all the cards on the table about all the excuses Mr. Kennedy has used.

Don't you think it is quite interesting how people haven't resorted to saying derogatory words about Mr. Kennedy? While attacking Ms. McKinney posters on that thread went off "half-cocked" about her hair, her dress, her color as well as her personality. Does seeing the dichotomy have any resonance to you? Does it also mean anything to you when the other posters tried to defend her, the "race card" is immediately brought up?

And interestingly enough, what Mr. Kennedy and Ms. McKinney have in common is the fact that they are both Catholics. But, in the vitriol about Ms. McKinney's character, no one ever took the time to find that out either.

I have resisted, in my posts, from using anything racially derogatory about Mr. Kennedy because I do have more respect for him than that. But, I think it hasn't escaped your notice that on other boards talking about certain dignitaries of color, there are posters who do not. That's why I find it simply ironic that posters have refrained from doing the same hateful scruntiny on the congressman from Rhode Island. And when I bring up all these different "cards", you immediately felt bothered by that, didn't you? How do you think it makes me feel when people accuse me of using the "race card"?

Believe me. I still have my principles about having respect for everyone. And more than you know, I follow them. Another thing I do respect about you is your ability to root out hypocrisy. I also do the same thing. And, I also do not like bad behavior, as you do not. But, that doesn't mean that I don't have the right to question the inequalities some posters have when unleashing an attack on one politician while another is treated without the same animus.

The main point is for all this lip service about being "fair" and "equal" to all dignitaries, some are treated more fairly by the police, the limelight and by people more than others. And fascinating enough, we all have to realize this.

Btw, I still am waiting for that thread attacking the NAACP, the New Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
truthseeka,

I cannot say how you truly feel about both Mr. Kennedy or Ms. McKinney, but I think by your statement, you appreciate the irony that is going on here. And you could probably share the same sense of amazement regarding the bitter attacks on Ms. McKinney with the worst stereotypes in the book while Mr. Kennedy has been treated with more respect about his situation.

You see, she has spoken about 9/11 and Mr. Kennedy has not. But even that has not crossed the mind of some who find it easier to surrepetitiously to use and abuse the "race card" while in the same breath attacking others of doing the same.

I don't know about you, but I find it funny that the detractors haven't released the same amount of vitriol about Mr. Kennedy. Their silence is fascinating. What do you think?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
What a nice little diversion from this to the criminal family known as Bush!!!
Just sayin.......

Speaking of diversions, when are we gonna take that trip out to the windmill farm? I can launch in Boston and be down there by noonish..

Back on topic, don't worry. It won't take long for Bush to be back in the spotlight again. Too many things left unattended are going to raise their ugly head real soon, imo.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   

jsobecky,

Let's cut to the chase here. I do like you and have a lot of respect for your posts. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't answer your posts thoughtfully and take your ideas seriously.

Hey, we can build on that! That's a lot more than I've had in a lot of my relationships.

And I will say that you definitely do take the time and effort to respond to not only me, but any other questions posed to you. You're tenacious, for sure.

Don't you think that's a little arrogant to assume that I don't know about the Kennedy family?

Yes, I guess I was. Mea culpa. I will u2u you more on this...

With that being said, I respectfully again, think that you are missing the point of my posts in this thread. Do you know how easy it is to attack Cynthia McKinney on her personality when considering her "altercation"? You don't know whether she attacked the cop with malice. As I don't know whether Mr. Kennedy hit the police barriers with malice. But, in the same way, you assume that Ms. McKinney is the devil incarnate while attaching every personal characteristic about her in the book. To top it off, you think she has a "chip on her shoulder". How in the heck do you know? Have you asked her?

It seems that way to you. The only thing I can say is, if I could name one thing that Ms. Mckinney lacks most, it is "class".

And when I played devil's advocate and attacked every stereotype in the book about Mr. Kennedy, you felt the hurt and the indignity of my words and set out to rehabilitate his character. And it was equally hurtful, I bet, when I put all the cards on the table about all the excuses Mr. Kennedy has used.

Did I try to rehabilitate his character? If I did, I need to work on my writing.

Excuses. Well, he's used a lot of them, and gotten away with it because of his family. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was involved in a traffic accident when he was exiting from a CVS parking lot and got T-boned. He's a sad sack. You've heard of the Peter Principle, no? Well, imo, he reached his long ago. I just can't see the use in piling on such a loser.

Don't you think it is quite interesting how people haven't resorted to saying derogatory words about Mr. Kennedy?

Well, that's easily explained. Right-wingers have more class than to step on the downtrodden. j/k

I don't know why not... I would love to think that members are outgrowing that frailty, but that's naive.

While attacking Ms. McKinney posters on that thread went off "half-cocked" about her hair, her dress, her color as well as her personality. Does seeing the dichotomy have any resonance to you? Does it also mean anything to you when the other posters tried to defend her, the "race card" is immediately brought up?

I can only say that Ms. McKinney herself tried to insert the race card, and that's what angered many posters.

And you have to admit..her new doo was radical enough to not immediately recognize her. And maybe even stop her.

And interestingly enough, what Mr. Kennedy and Ms. McKinney have in common is the fact that they are both Catholics. But, in the vitriol about Ms. McKinney's character, no one ever took the time to find that out either.

You got me there. But I am a retired catholic, and I will say that blacks were extremely rare at Sunday Mass. People usually associate blacks with the Baptist religion. Which, from what I've seen, is a hell of a lot more fun than being a catholic.

I have resisted, in my posts, from using anything racially derogatory about Mr. Kennedy because I do have more respect for him than that.

I think it's more than your respect for him. I don't think you are really that type of person to attack race. You can get real defensive real quick, tho. Don't take that the wrong way.

But, I think it hasn't escaped your notice that on other boards talking about certain dignitaries of color, there are posters who do not. That's why I find it simply ironic that posters have refrained from doing the same hateful scruntiny on the congressman from Rhode Island.

No no no, ceci. Don't focus on them, and their midget brains. At the end of the day, be able to look in the mirror at yourself and smile with pride, not vitriol.

And when I bring up all these different "cards", you immediately felt bothered by that, didn't you? How do you think it makes me feel when people accuse me of using the "race card"?

Pretty lousy, I'm sure. And I apologize for my reactions in other threads; you know what I'm talking about. It takes time to know somebody, but if you see something in them that you like, it's worth the time and effort to work through problems. It's almost impossible in cyberspace. But sometimes it's more difficult in person.

The main point is for all this lip service about being "fair" and "equal" to all dignitaries, some are treated more fairly by the police, the limelight and by people more than others. And fascinating enough, we all have to realize this.

Oh, I hear you. The Kennedy incident was screwed up by the Capitol Police. It is a police matter in essence.

Btw, I still am waiting for that thread attacking the NAACP, the New Black Panthers and the Nation of Islam.

Really? I will, if you want. It won't be pretty, I assure you. And I must insist that we change the word "attack" to something less incendiary, OK?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Was Patrick Kennedy drunk and involved in a cover up?

Probably. But we will never know because he wasn't given a
blood alcohol test at the scene. So it's all just speculation.
(probably accurate speculation!)

Cheney didnt get quite as much coverage

Really? I thought he got more. Kennedy was on the news
for two days and when he checked into rehab all the hubub
started to die down on the news. Now they are onto
prescription addiction. He was crafty .... get the subject
changed to something other than him.

Either way ... he needs help. Either for Alcohol or
prescription addition. Hope he gets it and it 'sticks'.
DC isn't a favorable environment for recovering
alcoholics and/or addicts.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 06:55 AM
link   

*Makes sign of the cross*

You converted to Catholic!
Alright dg!!
The comet is about to hit and after that birdflu will
wipe out the survivors. You aren't taking any
chances are ya'?? You've gone all Matthew 16:18!

Just teasing!!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Cynthia McKinney ... "altercation"?

What's with the quotes?? It was an altercation. No quotes needed.

You don't know whether she attacked the cop with malice

huh? She attacked him. Are you suggesting it was self defense?

what Mr. Kennedy and Ms. McKinney have in common is the
fact that they are both Catholics.

Oh geeeeeze ... so what??

But, in the vitriol....

geeeeze .. vitriol again???

Surprise Ceci. I agree with you to some extent. Kennedy and McKinney
were treated differently. His possible drunken driving was immediately
covered up. Considering how the Capitol police handled this, it's my guess
(and only a guess) that if he had forgotten his ID at the capitol, he
would have been allowed to walk through without the use of metal
detectors. I can't say if he would have taken that opportunity. Others
who have forgotten their IDs have walked through the detectors and not
made stinks about it. Mind you - this is just my guess as to what would
have happened and I have no proof. But considering the attempt at a
coverup on his driving, it is entirely possible they would have given
him a free pass through the metal detectors that people have to go through
when they forget their IDs.

That being said ... Kennedy and McKinney had two different behaviors.
She attacked a police officer when all she had to do was walk ten extra
feet through a checkpoint. Kennedy got humble and said he was addicted
to pain killers. It's much easier to be accepting of the humble persons
story than the one that gets an attitude and hits cops. That's human
nature.

It is impossible to say if the cops, who must have assumed Kennedy was
drunk, tried to cover for him because he's a white male or because he's
a Kennedy. I'm thinking because he was a Kennedy.

Bottom line -
Both of them were wrong. She slugged a cop doing his job (and doing
it properly). He put people in danger by getting in a car and driving
under the influence of something mind altering. He got better treatment
due to his family name. She screwed herself further by getting physical
with a cop. But ... both were wrong.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Surprise Ceci. I agree with you to some extent. Kennedy and McKinney
were treated differently. His possible drunken driving was immediately
covered up. Considering how the Capitol police handled this, it's my guess
(and only a guess) that if he had forgotten his ID at the capitol, he
would have been allowed to walk through without the use of metal
detectors. I can't say if he would have taken that opportunity. Others
who have forgotten their IDs have walked through the detectors and not
made stinks about it.

My feelings exactly. I have tried to make the point that McKinney's reaction was real rude. There's a big stink about the cop touching her to get her attention. "Inappropriate touching", it's been called. I gave a scenario where she could have hurt an innocent person that did that, but my post was rejected as irrelevant.

So, if Cynthia had dropped some important papers, and someone wanted to alert her to the fact, it's OK to smack them in the chest? Jeezus, how many of us walk around with that attitude?

No, she knew what she did, she knew that it was a cop touching her, she had to have heard him call out to her three times. And she figured she could unleash and walk. Sorry, no go. Time to grow up, Cynthia.

That being said ... Kennedy and McKinney had two different behaviors.
She attacked a police officer when all she had to do was walk ten extra
feet through a checkpoint.

Actually all she had to do was turn around and see what was up before rushing to aggresive behavior.

Kennedy got humble and said he was addicted
to pain killers.
:
Bottom line -
Both of them were wrong. She slugged a cop doing his job (and doing
it properly). He put people in danger by getting in a car and driving
under the influence of something mind altering. He got better treatment
due to his family name. She screwed herself further by getting physical
with a cop. But ... both were wrong.

Both were wrong. I can see the difference in the two situations, however. They cannot be viewed as equally wrong. The difference is, Cynthia acted out her aggressions. Kennedy is just a major screw-up.

She needs to get a governor on that attitude. Probably too late, tho...I think she's about 50 now.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Well, Ceci, to be honest, I don't know a damn thing about Kennedy.

But, I can't help but notice how the "reverse race card" is being used in the dogging of Ms. McKinney. Ghetto slut, come on, how low is that? "Aggressive tapping" of an "offi-SHAL", please.

Meanwhile, no bashing of Kennedy due to his race. What a shame. And people always cry foul when black people talk about race...:shk:

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
But, I can't help but notice how the "reverse race card" is being used in the dogging of Ms. McKinney. Ghetto slut, come on, how low is that? "Aggressive tapping" of an "offi-SHAL", please.

Show me where someone here has called her a ghetto slut.

Meanwhile, no bashing of Kennedy due to his race. What a shame.

Hey, nobody's stopping you from bashing him because he's white. Want to ante up here? Or are you asking ceci, a woman, to do your dirty work for you?

Stand up.

I didn't think so.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Ceci said this about Kennedy on page 2 of this thread -

To put it frankly, why aren't they calling him a "ghetto slut" ?

Did someone here call McKinney a ghetto slut? I haven't seen that.
If so ... that's inappropriate. If not, then there was no reason
to say that about Kennedy when it wasn't even said about McKinney.

The only reference I can find to McKinney being called a ghetto slut
was by this radio guy down south -
mediamatters.org...

I've never heard of him before.
Probably won't ever hear of him again either.

People in politics always get called names. They get called names in
the press if they screw up and they get called names if they don't.
Dr. Rice and Colin Powell have bene referred to as 'house n*****'
by the left. The Kennedys have been referred to as a bunch of
drunk'n Irish (insert Irish slang here) murderers and rapists.
Black people such as Alan Keys has been referred to in certain
negative terms and certain white people are referred to in certain
other negative terms (such as Bird and other old white families in DC).

Being called names is an equal opportunity offense to politicians.

[edit on 5/7/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

The difference is, Cynthia acted out her aggressions.
Kennedy is just a major screw-up.

Yep. It was all in the attitude.

She wants special treatment. She wants to have it better
than the rest of her house/senate coworkers. She didn't get it.
She got upset. She hit a police officer.

Kennedy DOES GET special treatment because of his name.
(which he should't have)
He put people in danger by being out on the road.
He checks into the MAYO clinic and apologizes for his problem.

She gets loud and keeps verbally hitting and making a stink
- all the while the situation is her fault. He says 'sorry'
and seeks treatment. Big difference. Kennedy shouldn't have
gotten special treatment. But neither should McKinney.

I don't care for the Kennedys, however I do hope that he is
able to get the help he needs. Like I said, DC isn't a good
environment for recovering alcoholics and addicts. I'm glad
that he sees he needs help. I hope it's successful.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Did someone here call McKinney a ghetto slut? I haven't seen that.
If so ... that's inappropriate. If not, then there was no reason
to say that about Kennedy when it wasn't even said about McKinney.

No reason even if it was said about McKinney.

The only reference I can find to McKinney being called a ghetto slut
was by this radio guy down south -
mediamatters.org...

I've never heard of him before.
Probably won't ever hear of him again either.

He's supposedly nationally syndicated? That probably means that two stations carry his crap.

Being called names is an equal opportunity offense to politicians.

As it should be.

She gets loud and keeps verbally hitting and making a stink
- all the while the situation is her fault. He says 'sorry'
and seeks treatment. Big difference. Kennedy shouldn't have
gotten special treatment. But neither should McKinney.

No no no. You got it wrong, FF. She had a right to be recognized, 'coz she's a congress-critter. And if you can't accept that, then let's play cards. Only one color in the deck, tho.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Meanwhile, no bashing of Kennedy due to his race. What a shame.

Hey, nobody's stopping you from bashing him because he's white. Want to ante up here? Or are you asking ceci, a woman, to do your dirty work for you?

Stand up.

I didn't think so.

Wtf are you talking about?

Why would I bash Kennedy when a) I know nothing about him and b) I faulted those bashing McKinney for her race. Why would I turn around and do the same thing?

Besides, I wasn't even talking to you...stick to your convo with Flyersfan.

And what's up with the "asking a woman" thing?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

And what's up with the "asking a woman" thing?

I'm a woman. Hey .. I recently discovered that dg is a woman
as well. (thought she was a guy ... sorry dg
). Ask us
anything about what we think on this subject thread ... go ahead
.... triple dog dare ya'!!

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

That probably means that two stations carry his crap.

Yep. Like I said... I have never heard of him or his 'ghetto slut'
line. He's grabbing headlines. You know ... all publicity is good
publicity.
His 15 minutes of fame are up.

He was the only one I could dig up that said that.
And I had to look around for it.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join