It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I Were to start my own Faith, this is what it would be based on

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
From what I've been able to gather about pretty much ever religion in the world right now - be it Christianity through to Scientology - is that the religion is attempting to fill in the hole people have in their spirits with answers to their greatest questions.

Every religion attempts to answer the question "Why are we here". Other questions are "Where are we going?" "What is our purpose in life?" "How do we fulfill this purpose?".

For example, Catholicism says that we are here because God made us to worship Him. We are going to heaven (because of Jesus), but our purpose is to worship God. We can do this in a myriad of ways, and the easiest is simply being kind to your neighbour.

The rest is just filler - but a lot of peolpe seem to think it's important for odd reasons. Some people say if you don't worship God, then you go to Hell. Others say that you must follow a certain set of rules to count as worshipping God. And others say that those who don't worship God are devil heathens that must be purged (or maybe that's Warhammer 40k...
)

In any case though, too many religions I find are attempting to ANSWER these questions.

If I were to start my own faith - a faith that would COMPLIMENT another faith instead of SUPPLEMANT it - the faith would be based on the questions, not on the answers.

How important is a question? Very. It defines us and gives us direction. It encompasses all that we want and what we are willing to do to get there. Why are we here? Are we supposed to answer this question? I do not believe so. We are supposed to go through life not knowing its answer, and perhaps this continues through to death.

It's not the answers that are important, it's the questions. Religions that claim to know all the answers obviously don't have that many important questions.

I think there is a certain amount of comfort in Knowing that we Don't Know. There's a certain amount of neutrality to it, but knowing that you know nothing frees you to explore your faith as you wish. You can come to a deeper relationship with your god, not because you talk to him, but because you know that he MIGHT not exist! It humanizes things, brings it down to a level we can hope to comprehend, and in the end you may still be wrong.

And then there's the wisdom that's gained through asking the questions and trying to answer them. The answer may be "it's unanswerable" - but the test and the quest may bring about whole knew revelations that were previously hidden!

This is my Faith, and if I were to start my own Faith, this is what it would be based on.

new topics

join