It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Observatory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hypothetical question. If I had the money, would I be able to build a observatory on my own land capable of seeing as far as the latest technology would allow without interference from the government? I am talking about something that is hooked up to a massive cpu that records 24/7. Would I have to sign any type of disclosure agreements or have the recordings monitored and reviewed?
This has been a big dream of mine since I was young. I just hate government censorship and am wondering if it would even be worth it. I would probably even live stream it to a website. Just wishfull thinking though. What do you guys think?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I am pretty sure Arecibo (the satellite farm where SETI records its info) is completely privately funded.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I am not worried about the funding, just wanting to know if the gov. will stick their noses in the buisness?

jra

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
As far as I know. No telescopes, or at least not all of them, are controled by the Gov't. Especially those that are out of the US. There is no reason to believe that the Gov't would try to stop you. There are hundreds of thousands of astronomers all over the world using the major telescopes. There is no way to have them all keep quiet with non discolsure agreements, (if there was anything for them to keep quiet about that is).

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
As I work at an observatory, I can say I've never had to sign anything of the sort. Though, we don't have anything recording 24/7, as during the day it's pointless to look at anything but the Sun, Jupiter if it's up, or a couple of bright stars througha telescope, on clear nights someone is usually up there doing either public/private observing or photography.

Also, technology doesn't really limit what the telescope would see. It's size does. The bigger the telescope, the more light it gathers, the more detail you get. That's why the ground based telescopes are all so huge.

Though, for under $50K you could have a really nice set up out in the middle of nowhere (the farther from cities, the better!), that you could run from your home (unless it breaks, which it will, eventually), and you would get some AWESOME images from. I'd reccommend getting a large RCT for the telescope.

If you're on a tighter budget though, there are some really nice, transportable telescopes. You could get a really nice Orion SkyQuest XT10 Intelliscope for about $800.

Originally posted by jra
There is no way to have them all keep quiet with non discolsure agreements, (if there was anything for them to keep quiet about that is).

That's the best part about all of these conspiracies. There's absolutely no way ANYONE could keep the literally millions of amatuer astronomers quiet. I once heard someone say, "Astronomers don't see UFOs because we know what we're looking at!"

The best is when you get the nuts calling in saying a bright light is following them around and it's just Venus or a bright star. Or when there's a bright satellite flyover (like the ISS or an Iridium) and people see it saying they saw a UFO. Pretty much EVERYTHING seems to be a UFO to some people if it's bright or shows any sign of movement!

(Wow! Two plugs for Orion on ATS in one day! I don't get paid for that, I swear!
)

[edit on 5/4/2006 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Thanx. I have always wondered if there were some type of agreement that had to be met just in case you recorded or tracked say... the international space station. Now all I haave to do is win the lottery.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infra_red
Thanx. I have always wondered if there were some type of agreement that had to be met just in case you recorded or tracked say... the international space station. Now all I haave to do is win the lottery.

People track the ISS all the time. Here are some images of it transiting the Sun.

You can find out where and when it'll be over your head if you sign up for Heavens-Above.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I can honestly say I've never had the government hassle me, matter of fact
I doubt they even know I have telescopes.

I have a 30" Homemade Dobsonian and a Commercial 16" Schmidt Cassegrain
with excellent dark skies here in central Montana. I also have 3 radio towers one
at 180 foot, 90 foot and 54 foot bristling with antenna for Amateur Radio and I have
never had any one question me or strange dark vehicles watching me.

The point is the government really does not care... so buy some telescopes or
make your own, and have fun with it!

[edit on 4-5-2006 by TheHorseChestnut]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
The biggest non-governmental observatories in the world that I am aware of are run by the Vatican. They have three large scopes that I know of. Mind you some may call the vatican a city state... It would be very cool to have you own major scope to check out stuff that may be covered up by governments and academics etc. Hope you build one and make amazing discoveries.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infra_red
Hypothetical question. If I had the money, would I be able to build a observatory on my own land capable of seeing as far as the latest technology would allow without interference from the government? I am talking about something that is hooked up to a massive cpu that records 24/7. Would I have to sign any type of disclosure agreements or have the recordings monitored and reviewed?
This has been a big dream of mine since I was young. I just hate government censorship and am wondering if it would even be worth it. I would probably even live stream it to a website. Just wishfull thinking though. What do you guys think?

Hi,

I can make your dream come true, buy and at least 0.5 to 1 meter (24" to 32" inch) buy too an backiluminated CCD.

With that setup and an clear sky u can even pass the several professionals telescopes around the NORTHEN SKY.

Their is an astronomers with an 12" assebled several pics with days of exposed CCD and got the 26 magnitude and that is great.

Ah and don´t forget to buy and spectroscope tooo, AND THE GOOD THING IS U CAN BUY ALL THIS STUFF if u got the $$$$$

THx

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
I am pretty sure Arecibo (the satellite farm where SETI records its info) is completely privately funded.

The satellite farm you're talking about is actually part funded by Paul Allen of Microsoft and one of his homeboys to the sum of something like $12 million and is located in California. The Arecibo observatory is that huge satellite dish in the mountains of Puerto Rico. I'm pretty sure that if you have the jing for it just about anyone can rent time at Arecibo.

new topics

top topics

join