It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the Use of Acetone as an Additive really improve your miliage upto 35%?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I am not that concerned about engine damage at 0.3% (3,000 PPM) acetone in your fuel. Other than an initial de-sludging and preventing condensation formation in your fuel tank, I just have serious doubts that it has any appreciable effect on fuel economy. MTBE does in some cases, but that's another story.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Fuel consumption:
-Ok this morning I filled up my tank to maximum, resettled my KM counter.
-I drove 96.1 KM (to work and back) today, until I filled up my tank to the maximum again.
-It cosseted me 10 Euro at 1.45 Euro a liter.
Now I will calculate:
10/1.45 = 6.9 Liter (round)
110/6.9 = 15.95 KM per Liter
My car normally runs 1:10, I did not expect this! AMAZING!

It is now 1:15.95 an amazing 59% more mileage, I don't know how this is possible, this can't be?? I did put +- 150 ml acetone on my full tank 45 liter. I did not measure exactly, there is no point in that anyway since you never drive the same.
My car can't run 1:15.95 normally..... 1:10 1:12 Maybe if I really do everything to save fuel (Like turning off engine, accelerate slowly and let the car roll a lot)
Ok, so I have the car 2 days I don’t know and I never measured consumption without acetone, but this car is not supposed to run 1:15.95 its 1:12 maximum under ideal circumstances. (According to the manual)
Fair is fair, 22 years ago the fuel and oil quality did not compare with the oils and fuels we use today. (Containing Teflon world’s most slippery substance and things like that)
So part of my increase in mileage also come from better fuels/oils. But I still feel my engine runs better with then without acetone. It definitely cleans the engine!
It can't be a shrinking tank either, because it's steel.
So I won’t jump to conclusions, but will continue using a little acetone.

I will try this experiment again some day, with no acetone, but I need to get the tank empty first, that wont be hard

But if my milage would drop to 1:10/1:11 again, I will be using acetone for ever!

Hey Australian dude, what whas the brand/type of the car with melting tanks?? I will make sure I never buy one, if the acetone proves its worth!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I think your car was just in very bad shape before and now the mix is cleaning things out. I get 19 miles to the gallon in my full size chevy truck and its a 1995 with a V-8.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My 1978 VW rabbit runs better with 3oz per ten gallons. I also put Techron fuel injection clearer into it. It has consistently given 27 miles per gallon combined driving, however a great deal of that has been stop and go.

The main advantage to me is that when I do not put both Techron fuel injection cleaner and acetone into the tank, the call starts balking at idle. I have more power and smoothness, and that is enough for me. One can at $6.95 a quart lasts a long time.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
i've been an auto mechanic for over 10 yrs. now, and i've never had any co-workers that were MIT grads, scientists, or PHD's, what the hell is click and clack doing fixing cars?????? sound like quack's to me.

how can you give "expert" advice when someone writes you a couple sentences of the problem, theres just not enough info. they have to broadly generalize their answers, kind of like a horroscope

and in the 30 yrs. they've been diagnosing people's car problems through the mail or over the phone (can't see,touch,smell,hear the car) i'm sure they have never been wrong about anything

if you want to try it then do it, too scared it'll ruin stuff and cost alot of money then don't do it.

...but don't shoot down people, while you have no intention of finding out if it works or not for yourself.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was browsing one of those "High Mileage" or "Mileage Secrets" sites and saw people experimenting with Acetone. From what I saw posted - Acetone reduce/inhibited the lubricating properties. One person who was really into experimenting with it went through 3 fuel pumps - he claimed it was the Acetone as he had no prior issues until the use of Acetone . There were some other reports of internal engine damage. One thing that was recommended was to use Synthetic 2-cycle oil to help with lubrication issue.

Seems nutty to me. The stuff people are adding to their gas with no idea of what it will do. One numb-nutt poured windshield washer fluid in gas tank! He saw people adding alcohol to their gas - windshield washer fluid had alcohol in it - made sense. Car would not run afterward - windshield washer fluid also contains a whole lot of water......

My secret to better mileage - be smoother. I picked up 4MPG just by working on my driving habits. Went from ~20MPG to 24MPG.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobeWhat worried me was that after a couple of tanks with acetone added, both vehicles had an incident where I could smell unburned fuel.

I'd be worried, too! Add acetone -- get into an accident... Do you not suspect some cause and effect relation here?

An INCIDENT is not necessarily an ACCIDENT.

Sorry if this was posted before.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I would think that if Gasoline didn't eat seals and what not that Acetone will either it's not like your running Acetone by it's self a very little amount mixed with gas.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join