It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the Use of Acetone as an Additive really improve your miliage upto 35%?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarLord
Oldtimer2, APC

As far as Acetone breaking down components along the way to the engine, I believe that at the original link given, the author states some exhaustive testing with an Acetone formulation of 2% up to even 50% with no untoward effects.

I didn't say it damages any components. Just that it probably breaks up carbon deposits, which is a good thing.

Although I dont think it would have too hard a time eating through the fuel lines that connect to the fuel filter (usually rubber), or the O-rings between the lines and the fuel rail(s), or the O-ring between the rail and the injector.

I mentioned ethanol because it is an excellent injector cleaner. Just running one tank and one tank only of E85 in a non-flex fuel vehicle will improve MPG afterwards.

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I wanted to post earlier, but there were server prolems. I actually just started trying this recently. You only put a tiny amount with your gas. Whether this could be harmful I don't know, but I was willing to try it. I'm not sure of the enefits yet.

Troy

posted on May, 10 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Well, regenmacher gave you all a great link leading to two mechanics who really know what they're doing and everyone ignores it. Heh.

Acetone + seals = more money for me

Looks like I chose the right profession. If you try this on any vehicle with a warranty I wouldnt let your dealership know. Someone spoke of extensive tests, well, heres my test. Do your little thing with your acetone for a couple months in one car, use regular fuel in another, and see which one ends up at the shop first.

Im wondering what this does to O2 sensors and catalystss as well. Have any of you tried to get smogged after you ran the stuff for awhile? Im not sure how much it would hurt if your only running it for a very brief period of time, but I bet you'll run into all sorts of problems (seal/hose-wise) if you keep doing it.

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   
My vehicle is old, so I was willing to take the chance. The amount used is quite small, so I really don't know that it would actually be harmful anyway, but we will see.

Truthfully, I really wish the Petrol companies would cease to exist, in favor of something better, but in the meantime, I'm going to try the Acetone. If something happens to the vehicle, then I guess it just does, it could use an overhaul anyway. If not, then fine, perhaps I will squeeze a few more miles per gallon out of the vehicle. I've been doing some reading on also adding Xylene in conjunction with Acetone.

Seems like there could be some improvement in mileage in my vehicle since using Acetone.

Troy

posted on May, 14 2006 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I would think the main concern would be seals in your fuel system/fuel pump and then that your car is running well enough to completely burn your fuel/acetone mixture up. Because acetone is going to attack all your seals. But your jugs ought to be nice and shiney on the inside!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Guess we will find out what happens. I haven't really given it my seal of approval just yet. One source I read last night insisted it was fine to use Acetone and Xylene. I need more time before I will stand behind it, though.

I do feel that the Petrol folks don't really want us to get good gas mileage, hence the "Acetone is bad" idea perhaps came about because of this? But if you plan on using it, do it at your own risk. I can't give it "thumbs up" just yet.

Troy

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I just got my driving license. Here in Holland we use 95 Octane.
Got my mom’s 22 years old Mazda, a real gas guzzler.
Pretty confident that acetone would not damage a piece of metal , that an engine is, and not expecting fuel resistant plastics to melt from it. I tried 150ml Acetone on a 45 Liter tank.
So I'm not going to talk on mileage, I just tell you what happened:
-My car starts a lot better, even when it is freezing
-My car has a lot more power (Accelerates really good now)
-My car runs smoother
Ok it is an old car and it did not run optimal, I'm pretty sure it cleans the engine reduces and moist in fuel (A very rainy country Holland)
Also acetone is a solvent, it means fuel will become solved if solved, even a small amount will make fuel fractionally thinner. Thin liquids tend to vaporize a little better it’s a fact. Also thin liquids damp easier that is also a fact.
LAB results claiming to be very precise and claiming it is not working, no difference what so ever, are all false, why? If you change fuel mixture and with very precise (under lab conditions) measurements you should always get a little difference. The fact is, if the mixture changes so does its burning properties.
So, a change in mixture under lab conditions would always give a different result from the original mixture. So people claiming no difference what so ever, under lab conditions are liars. And have probably never seen a real lab in their life.
If we think logical we have these facts:
1. Solved fuel is thinner
2. Solved fuel damps faster
3. Thinner fuel vaporizes better
4. Acetone cleans engine parts
5. Acetone makes fuel thinner
Of course I do not know long term effects of adding 0.2 to 0.3% acetone to fuel, but I do not expect it to ruin engine or engine parts made to resist naphtha for the long term.
Based on the facts we get the following facts:
1. The better fuel is vaporized (mixed with air) the better and more complete it will burn
2. The better fuel damps, the easier it will ignite.
3. If your car has more power, and you do not drive faster. You reduce the gas.
4. If your engine is more clean, it will be more reliable, and has less wear and tear.
5. If in the worst case it would after longtime damage your fuel hose, a new fuel hose cost about 25 cent
6. Lab results with perfectly clean engines say nothing at all, for example they cannot test if acetone cleans, since a clean engine can’t be cleaned.
7. Running on a constant also says nothing, we want to know does it work in real life.
8. Metal will have no damage from acetone (and an engine is just a piece of metal)
9. Claims that you can only have a 1 or 2 % improvement because the fuel already burns for 98 to 99% are false. It matters where and when your fuel burns. If the wasted fuel burns in your exhaust pipe sure it will burn for 99%! But will you get a gain in power from it??? Surely not! But if more fuel burns before the piston is at its lowest point. You will get more power. These are all facts.
I’m not novice in Chemistry, and I found the claims of a 20 to 35% increase in mileage not, that strange considering the facts WE DO know.
So confidently I tried!
And for now, my car appears to guzzle a lot less indeed, it just a feeling, but backed by the effect facts of solving fuel.
Also way back I worked in a garage, so I know engines, I also know chemistry. And the effect suggested by use of acetone doe not sound unrealistic at al.
In my opinion it works, and logically it must work.
Afraid to try?
Why not try? Fear of risking a 25 cent fuel hose??? NOT ME! If my car runs 20 to 35% percent cheaper, it would not bother me at al to buy a new 25 cent fuel hose every 3 years.
But I suspect a fuel hose will definitely not get damaged by using 0.3% acetone in your 95 octane naphtha.
Of course it is possible it does after years of extensive use. So what? Next time I’ll be sure to put an acetone resistant, 25 cent, fuel hose in.
For now I sleep better!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
We've had reports in Australia of such solvent additives and a major concern was that many manufacturers dont use steel fuel tanks, using composite materials instead to reduce weight. Many non-metal tanks get broken down by the harsher solvents (shell x55 in particular). Problem is you won't know until the fibres freed from the tank lining block the filter or the tank fails catastrophically.

Not worth the risk IMHO - just get a more efficient vehicle (with a good warranty)

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Worth the risk my car is 100 Euro worth! I normally put that in my tank every week! Not worth the risk, bla bla.....
Anyway my fuel tank is steel, I have an old-fashioned carburetor, and the only plastic/rubber my fuel passes is on its way to the engine is the 25 cent fuels hose....
So what can I damage? Something worth 25 cent, that’s what!
Anyway you rings won’t solve they are made of pressed leather or even paper. Paper and leather do not solve not even in acetone.
Acetone is even used together with other chemicals to conserve stuffed animals, so how can it possibly harm pressed leader. Even when the rings would go thicker, it means they would seal better that’s a big plus!
A 25 cent risk for a 25- 35% mileage increase...... Well ok I don't like to gamble but in this case I make an exception...
And I know I save loads of fuel and the environment (+naphtha is much more toxic then acetone can ever be)
Sure be skeptic and don’t try, go ahead waist your money, see if I care…..
I have seen a so called Chemistry pro claiming acetone and benzene do not mix at all, something with polarity and that acetone will float of the fuel instead…… bla bla bla
Yea right! Water does not mix with fuel and the fuel floats on it. But if I put acetone (good acetone is slightly yellow and fuel is slightly green) in a transparent bottle, it definitely becomes 1 solid solution.
Nothing is floating and I have 1 single colored substance that is not acetone nor the original fuel.
Also you tell me that Shell experimented with fuel in Australia and that some fuel tanks melted. I have seen it on TV so you are right there. Some Plastics can melt.
But, if Shell did experimenting on the market, we know it worked in their labs, so they only tested does it harm cars. Well some get harmed, some don’t. True. But if you know your engine now the parts that can melt, it is worth trying just be sure you have no fuel tank that can melt.
Fuel pumps are steel to and won’t melt.
But if you have an old car, a steel tank and only a fuel hose made of an synthetic substance…. That will be the only thing that can melt.
If it does, next time buy an 25 Cent acetone resistant hose! No reason not trying to save 20-35% on fuel.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Just try, consider the risks for your car!

You must understand acetone does solve some plastics very easily. The story of Shell x55 in Australia is definitely true, it solved some plastic fuel tanks.

If your plastic can melt, you will find out really soon. Acetone would then solve it in no time at al.

If after a week you have no problems, leakages ect. You can quite safely assume your car can run on acetone enriched fuel.

Still not a reason for no acetone enriched fuel on the market, jus give it a new name, build cars from components that can resist solvent.

And let your existing car be tested on acetone compatibility.

Anyway, for me I can safely say I only risk a fuel hose worth 25 cent. Metal won’t be damaged.
I can easily replace the fuel hose with an acetone resistant one of it does solve.
-My car starts better
-Runs better
-Accelerates better
-So uses less fuel, logically.

So the acetone in fuel is working! Just not all cars can handle it. You need cars with acetone resistant plastic fuel tanks.

The pumps (all steel), the rings (leather or pressed paper), the injectors (steel)
Are not at risk. And the acetone works fine!

apc

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You'll probably be OK Uncle X, but keep a screwdriver in your car. You're going to need to adjust the mixture on that carb a lot more often. EFI can see the impact of acetone on combustion and can adjust the mixture automatically.

You'll want to avoid high altitude, also.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Now this was a damn interesting thread and useful to boot. I'm giving acetone a shot in my next tank. One dose isn't going to kill the car.

This is science, man. I sacrifice all for science!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What's really interesting is how this thread laid dormant for a year and a half then came back to life. This chemist does not recommend adding acetone to your fuel. I think the original article on adding acetone to your tank had the hidden agenda of selling those mileage monitoring devices for $159 USD.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I'm a retired fuelsystems engineer from the worlds largest automaker (I think were back on top anyway) and I can tell you your system parts go thru a lot worse testing than that. If your car is less than 15 years old 3 oz per 10 gallons shouldn't hurt anything. Fuel pumps don't have seals in them and the line seals won't even see it because of the previous buildup on them. Now if you put a 10 to 1 ratio I would be worried about the enging and internal parts. my .02

mikell

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
II still have no problems;
I think indeed it cleans the engine, my car is running better with each drive I make.
We all know for sure it works now;
If Shell tried this with x55 fuel in Australia. (Shell stopped the experiment with the first sign of trouble as I recall)
They must have tested it in a good lab, they probably claimed the 20-35% efficiency. Then the fuel tanks of some specific car brand and series solved. Only a few hundred cars as I recall from the TV Journal way back had this problem.
Nice excuse to stop an experiment that costs them money, but all other cars in the country did not have these problems. And gained the promised 20-35% improvement in fuel economy.
But, it is more a construction/design error of the car, the fuel is not the blame, that works, is been tested! But the car should have been constructed for more modern fuel insights by for example Shell.
I don't know about your car, but my car really likes the 0,2 - 0,3% acetone mix.
Filled up my tank yesterday, over the max on the fuel meter, it still is a little over the max after I used it today and yesterday.
With the amount of driving I did, normally the car would surely be at least noticeable be below maximum.
Works!!! Never drive without it again!!!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I'd like to try it just to clean the innards out. Better mileage and performance will be gravy.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Warning!!! With the fuel we have today we are having very bad problems in the marine industry. People all over are getting ethanol extended fuels over the legal limit of 10% and its destroying the fuel lines from the inside and intern is plugging up the fuel pumps and injectors. Adding a solvent to this crappy fuel will increase the damage. I have seen this first hand and its not pretty when its your own fuel system worth big bucks. Thankfully the engine manufacture Evinrude is awesome and replaced everything under warranty because they know what the problem is and that there was no way for me to avoid the problem.
To the guy who thinks his carburetor is safe. Let me tell you that your float, needle valve (if rubber tipped) and accelerator pump along with the gaskets will soon be dead from what you are doing. I am a master technician so I do know what I'm talking about.
Cars that are E-85 compliant have different gaskets and fuel systems that can handle bad fuels. Put E-85 in a regular car and the repair bill might bankrupt you.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Some of you must live in the Big City. Out here in the boondocks we still get real gas. No emissions testing.

The only time my car gags is when I visit family in town.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Surely you engine will fall apart when you trie.... bla bla bla Your carburetor will fall apart bla bla
NOT, you must be very unlucky if it does...... It does get cleaned out better, but fail??
C’mon I’m not buying any of that.
Shell x55 (Acetone, because we know it has been acetone, else a tank would not melt) fuel might have molten a fuel tank, but surly the engines they tested it on, before public release also had carburetors. They did not melt, else Shell would never have marked the product. And surely even Shell tested on real cars!
No the melting fuel tank has been an unlucky product! Not the fuel!
I read, on a site about WWII about Germans putting Acetone in fuel to increase bombers mileage on their way to England!
This site had nothing to do with fuel, a war historical site more.
Let me tell you about Germans, I live next to them here in Holland; They do their research, and they do it thorough and precise!
They would never have put it in a bomber, before being 100% sure it works!
If the German army knew it worked, I know it works! They were not going to risk expensive bombers and bombs on something potentially risky. And they did fly propeller based aircraft with engine, so no jets or anything the principle and mechanics of such an engine is the same as any engine.
Acetone won’t harm it is not corrosive, you have no rubber in your engine, and 99,99% you have no melting fuel tank either. There are no rubber ring in an engine that can melt away, how could there be??? The would burn/melt from the heat!
Maybe a 25 cent fuel hose, but in a car even the fuel passes through a metal pipe and not a hose in most cases. My car does not even have a fuel hose I think. In a car normally it’s all; metal, fuel pump included!
This means the acetone will only come in contact with metal, and the sealing rings made of pressed leather or pressed and oiled cardboard. The will never solve, and if they would become a little thicker, they would just seal better.
There just is nothing out there that can be harmed by acetone. The only thing would be the floater in your carburetor…… No one has seen it happen with a 0.2 - 0.3% solution.
What is good enough for Shell (now a fact since I have seen it on TV) even when they abandoned the product and good enough for WWII German army. Also fact.
Is good enough for me!

Those negative responses.... U guys payed by some sheik? Or you just like to waist good money? Fuel is Euro 1.45 a liter here, driving acetone 1 year allows me to buy a new car from the cash saved!

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I have all the stuff needed for a test to see if your mixture does any damage to the parts with out risking anything of value so I will flag this and post my report in some time, It would be nice if it did not do any damage.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join