It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has anyoneheard of he M-107 sniper rifle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
iwas watching futture weapons on the discovery chanel and saw the thing in action and it kicked ass. it can almost penetrate armor plating at over a mile away. on the v show they set up and example with a 6x6 wall oif cynider blocks and a plate of armor plating. at 4 times the range of an m16 it destoyed the cynder blocks. at the same distance the bulletes penetrated the armor plating but only penetrated half way through and got stuck in the plate of armor. if it was an armor piercing round with explosives just like military ones nothing could withstand it.

i wonder if there is a more powerful gun out there.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
.50 caliber is the largest as far as rifles are concerned. Then you get into small cannon rounds like the 20 mm.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It is one nasty Rifle. It can penetrate armored personnel carriers like the striker and shoot 10 bullets in less than 10 seconds. A bolt action takes 5-7 sec to load. More range,way more penetration, and an actual clip that stores multiple rounds. This is one nasty antipersonnel rifle it can kill soldiers behind concrete walls. It's bit heavy though.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Chiclestick
iwas watching futture weapons on the discovery chanel and saw the thing in action and it kicked ass. it can almost penetrate armor plating at over a mile away. on the v show they set up and example with a 6x6 wall oif cynider blocks and a plate of armor plating. at 4 times the range of an m16 it destoyed the cynder blocks. at the same distance the bulletes penetrated the armor plating but only penetrated half way through and got stuck in the plate of armor. if it was an armor piercing round with explosives just like military ones nothing could withstand it.

i wonder if there is a more powerful gun out there.

wrong it can penetrate armor plating whenthey showed it that was with standard rounds. It wouldve penetrated with armor piercing high explosive rounds! I took notes on it while i watched it.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   
im wondering if Lee Harvey Oswald used this because it sounds likely that the Russians made one of these rifles to use on him.it makes you wonder.
the only more powerful one was some experimental 15mm Austrailian APFSDS sniper.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by urmomma158]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The XM-109 is more powerful. It's a 20mm derivative of the 107, and (I think this is kind of funny) it's called the "payload rifle".
It's rifle that's so damn big the bullets have an available payload.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
now think of the possibilities of payload, eh? radioactive "dirty" rounds, worse than DU for residual rad; gas/nerve agents; explosive packages; kinda gets spookier as we go, don't you think?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
From Global Security.

source

"According to Operation Iraqi Freedom PEO Soldier Lessons Learned [LTC Jim Smith 15 May 2003] "The Barrett 50 cal Sniper Rifle may have been the most useful piece of equipment for the urban fight – especially for our light fighters. The XM107 was used to engage both vehicular and personnel targets out to 1400 meters. Soldiers not only appreciated the range and accuracy but also the target effect. Leaders and scouts viewed the effect of the 50 cal round as a combat multiplier due to the psychological impact on other combatants that viewed the destruction of the target.

“My spotter positively identified a target at 1400 meters carrying an RPG on a water tower. I engaged the target. The top half of the torso fell forward out of the tower and the lower portion remained in the tower.” 325th PIR Sniper "

... and the contribution to this Discussion is .... ?!

[mod edit: sourced link and added appropriate external tags]
Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/8/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The XM-109 fires a 25mm round, the Austrian rifle (NOT Australian, I am suprised their military is even armed with all those anti-gun laws) fires a 15.5mm round and should not even be mentioned since it never left prototype stage.

the Hungarian Gepard M-3 Destroyer has a 14.5mm round which is the largest heavy machinegun round in the world.

other cannons are the South African NTW-20 chambered for the 20x83.5mm MG151 of WW2 fame and the Yugoslavian RT-20 chambered for the monstrous 20x110 Hispano round.

These might be able to put a nice dent in most modern armor but probably nothing more than that.

Information was kindly taken off of Max R. Popenker's brilliant site: Modern Firearms which has been the world's number 1 source for firearm information.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Our army is well armed - just not our civillians.

Some of our technology is just as good as the USA's (well what we know of anyways). We just don't have as much of it.

posted on May, 9 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
You are right, i'm sorry.

Australia does have the Steyr AUG, working on the AICW based on the AUG and some other developments as well, I was a bit cynical since I don't like gun-grabbing nations.

Aren't civilians allowed to posses bolt-action weapons for hunting? and some shotguns? with limited magazines ofcourse.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I don't know much about that weapon but from what I've read I want one,

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ive seen a few of them for sale at the my local gun store sold out of them pretty quick. Since the Model 82A1 was banned in my state the M107 was the only legal 10 shot semi auto barrett .50 cal you could buy. They were going for $7,800 without optics

www.barrettrifles.com...

They also have a CQC version of the M107.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo[/i
other cannons are the South African NTW-20 chambered for the 20x83.5mm MG151 of WW2 fame and the Yugoslavian RT-20 chambered for the monstrous 20x110 Hispano round.

These might be able to put a nice dent in most modern armor but probably nothing more than that.

Information was kindly taken off of Max R. Popenker's brilliant site: Modern Firearms which has been the world's number 1 source for firearm information.

I know what i want for christmas dear santa! To bad i live in california, water pistols are soon becoming illegal

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesnafued1
To bad i live in california, water pistols are soon becoming illegal

Ah California banned the .50 cal flat out. Barrett didnt like that too much and refused to sell new .50 cal rifles or parts to any police or goverment agency based in California.

Check out the Barrett's new Model 99-416 rifle, chambered in a .419 caliber which is completely legal in California
Its reported to shoot faster and flatter then the .50 cal.

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by thesnafued1
To bad i live in california, water pistols are soon becoming illegal

Ah California banned the .50 cal flat out. Barrett didnt like that too much and refused to sell new .50 cal rifles or parts to any police or goverment agency based in California.

Check out the Barrett's new Model 99-416 rifle, chambered in a .419 caliber which is completely legal in California
Its reported to shoot faster and flatter then the .50 cal.

any extra license required? You just completly made my day!!

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
You would only need any license you need to purchase any other legal bolt action rifle in California. Most states thats just 18 years old and no felony record, though some require a hunting license. Since it doesn't use the .50 cal round which was banned its just like any other legal bolt action rifle in your state. Its alittle like a loop hole so lawmakers may ban it before too long.

www.barrettrifles.com...

Only $3,675 dollars with scope which isnt that bad for a Barrett rifle of this type.

They also plan by the end of 2006 to chamber their other rifles in the .416 so Califorina citizens can buy more then this model.

[edit on 7-6-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
.50 caliber is the largest as far as rifles are concerned. Then you get into small cannon rounds like the 20 mm.

Could you explain why .50 cal is a rifle round but 20mm is a cannon round. What delineates rifle from cannon.

posted on Jun, 10 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T

Originally posted by kinglizard

Could you explain why .50 cal is a rifle round but 20mm is a cannon round. What delineates rifle from cannon.

There is no universal definition, but usually the rifle ends/ the cannon starts when it shoots high velocity bullets/grenades that could not reasonably be shot from a handheld weapon.

Yes, there are 20mm rifles, but these are either too heavy/cant be used unless deployed (sometimes even with hooks in the ground)/have a dampening system that leech gasses and thus negatively impact the weapons power.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Lonestar24
If i remember correctly international treatys say that you cannot use explosive rounds at calibers

top topics

<<   2 >>

join