It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discrimination against mods?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Why is it that mods can’t win the WATS award? Many times I’ve found myself wanting to applaud or vote for a mod for his/her brilliance but unable to do it you’re pretty much left with a “That was an excellent post Mr Mod…” post. But then we’re bordering sucking up.

Is there really no other way to praise mods for their work, or is being a mod supposed to be praise enough?

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:51 AM
link   
A lot of people comment on that If I remember correctly....

Perhaps they should consider a "Mod of the Month" award or something, but who knows what kind of fights, brawls and bursts of vulgarity that would cause on the Mod's "Staff Board". I say do it!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf

Many times I’ve found myself wanting to applaud or vote for a mod for his/her brilliance but unable to do it you’re pretty much left with a “That was an excellent post Mr Mod…” post.

Either that, or if you don't want to do it in public you can send a u2u instead. Or you can do nothing. Mods can only be applauded by FSME's or Councilors...

Now, escuse me but I got an important phonecall to make. Catch you all later...

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I think some time ago (long time ago) a mod won an award and it erupted into a drama-fest of supposed ATS corruption.... You know... mod winning over a member.... so we decided it was best that staff couldn't become involved in competitions on the forums.

I'm sure most staff would think being staff isn't a privilege, as they have to listen to me yelling at them everyday!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Ah, I see... There's always a drama-queen somewhere out to spoil someone else's glory...

But I still need to acknowledge some mod's brilliant input - without being accused of a sucking-up. Chebob's suggestion of a "Monthly Mod" is a good one, not?

Oh, and while I'm at it... I need an ignore button for some Mods as well...

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Every time I read contest rulles they say that emploees are not elegible to win. This is so they wont be accused of rigging the contest so that "thier own" would win.

You know what mods get that we don't?
Thier own appreciation smiley.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guy Fawkes
You know what mods get that we don't?

No, the members have one too...

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

That's not an 'appreciation' smiley, it's an 'I just effed up please don't give my arse the boot' smiley.

Peace

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Every time I read contest rulles they say that emploees are not elegible to win. This is so they wont be accused of rigging the contest so that "thier own" would win.

But they can have an Employee of the month based on customer satisfaction like chebob "Mod of the Month" idea.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The very fact that they are MODS indicates that they have accomplished a lot here. Good stories, good debates, etc.

So, i dont see any discrimination at all. They have reached the summit of success.
They are the cream of the crop.

I hope to reach the summit one day, darn, i keep falling down the hill most of the time

No discrimination- They have reached the top.

Why the drama? ( just kidding)

[edit on 4-5-2006 by dgtempe]

[edit on 4-5-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadboi
But they can have an Employee of the month based on customer satisfaction...

And they can get one of those pictures like they hang on the wall at Wal-Mart and post it on the main ATS page.

Something like "Employee of the month for May: Gazrok, Automotive dept. manager", and he can wear one of those orange 'greeters' vests.

BTW, don't be fooled, those greeters aren't really happy to help you. They probably wish you'd just fall under a bus instead.

Peace

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
BTW, don't be fooled, those greeters aren't really happy to help you. They probably wish you'd just fall under a bus instead.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! It can't be true, they have a button and everything. My reality is crumbling....

I'm not agreeing it's discrimination, but it would be a nice way of showing appreciation. Although like Hellmutt said you could just send them a U2U.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Glory To Mod In The Highest

Originally posted by SimonGray
I'm sure most staff would think being staff isn't a privilege, as they have to listen to me yelling at them everyday!

Oh yeah, Simon's a real monster behind closed doors.

Of course I love perks and anything that can help prop up my sagging ego. We all know how shy and humble I am.

Before I became a mod, I felt the same way: it didn't seem right that there wasn't some easy way to show appreciation for mods without worrying about coming across as a sycophant. Eventually I just said "screw it" and accepted the stigma of looking like a sycophant anyway.

Now that I'm a mod, I see it differently. Despite the pressures of trying to reconcile being a post-spamming pompous ass drama queen with (hopefully) being a decent moderator, I'm absolutely loving the job. It really is a lot of fun!

I've seen other mods mention it time and again: the real reward is a job well done.

I agree. It's immensely satisfying to be able to help out however I can.

Do I feel the need for some kind of "Mod of the Month" award? No.

Besides, we're a team. On ATS, moderators rarely act alone. We're constantly checking with one another to make sure what we're doing is right. Thus what may seem to be a "good call" by one mod is often a group decision.

So rewarding one mod for that wouldn't be right. Rather, as Hellmutt alluded, U2Us are the way to go.

Now and then I'll get a U2U from a member thanking me for helping out in some way. As far as I'm concerned, that's better than all the public fanfare in the world, because it's personal, private and sincere.

It doesn't get any better than that.

Now excuse me while I go pin some more flair on my vest...

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have been known to copy the text of an Applause U2U and edit it appropriately and send it to a mod. No points but they know they're appreciated.

And having been a mod, if only for a short time, majic's right. The reward is in a job well-done. I know that sounds cliché, but it's true.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Now and then I'll get a U2U from a member thanking me for helping out in some way. As far as I'm concerned, that's better than all the public fanfare in the world, because it's personal, private and sincere. It doesn't get any better than that.

I would have to agree with majic on this one. A nice u2u from someone who I helped means a whole lot more to me. Speaking for myself I do appreciate the sentement expressed in this thread but the system as it is is well thought out and works.

BTW its not when Simon yells that we get worried, its when he speaks in quiet measured tones that the staff all run for cover

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Simon is correct, the ATS/staff corruption conspiracy has to be avoided.

Recognition comes in varying shapes and forms, not simply by winning a monthly 'thingy.'

How much more recognition do you need when you get asked to be apart of staff--that within itself is well worth missing out on any type monthly award, especially when considering the pay and perks?

Just kidding on the pay mention.

seekerof

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Don't worry about the WATS for mods, it's more than compensated by the Complaints we get.

Seriously, we are ALL members of this site. Staff u2u's work the same as everyone elses. Shoot one off with a link to what you're talking about. We appreciate it. That doesn't mean that we will let you circumvent the censors though.

Edit: One "t" too many.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by intrepid]

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
BTW its not when Simon yells that we get worried, its when he speaks in quiet measured tones that the staff all run for cover

That's no laughing matter, it is worse than the calm before a storm...HAARP storm.

What's this about ignoring mods, come on, guys...

top topics

join