It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cloaking Device Proved in UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Klingon like Cloaking technolgy proved & proposed by UK Boffins;
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
how long before bae systems comes knocking on their door??

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
many things that work in theory, don't work in practise!

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I agree, theory is allot different the practise. Although this would help put the UK back on the map military wise.

Again as another member stated i believe BAE wont be too far away.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 07:24 AM
link   
The problem is that you can only "cloak" objects in a frequency spectrum marginally larger than the wavelength of the electromagnetic waves you want to cloak in and only applies to those specific wavelengths. So for visual stealth you could only cloak objects marginally larger than 1 µm (wavelength of visual light = ~400-800nm) and even then it would only be "invisible" for for example illumination with red light while in blue light it would still be visible. In practice for cloaking purposes it is pretty much worthless, though in theory it is interesting.

See also the following quotes from the article:

The concept is at such a primitive stage that the scientists talk only at the moment of being able to cloak particles of dust - not spaceships.

The authors of the paper argue that the cloak needn't just work with a speck of dust, but could also apply to larger objects.

I really doubt the latter quote unless ofcourse they want to cloak into another electromagnetic spectrum, say radar waves of a length of a few meters or say the size of a jetfighter. Currently, stealth only works for radar waves shorter than a certain length, this technique might provide stealth for somewhat larger radar wavelengths. You can basically forget your Romulan style cloaking device though and practical applications are unlikely.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Simon666]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
whatever happened to the Cameras mini-sized apon a Cloak, that Looked like Hive cells, an there was a camera in the middle but the cell itself was a Projection screen, the cameras projected what was in the front on the back an viceversa all around, thus making the person invisible, why hasnt that been out? power issues?

i mean thats a hot idea i had it writtin in mah book, untill i read it somewhere else, LAME how it always turns out, I need a multi-million dollar research center anyone wanna send me a copy of their key? lol

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Hows about if a film of dust around an object could cloak the object itself?
Cloaking is relatively easy for thin objects but with objects that have a sizable volume..

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Interesting theory. The only cloaking device I ever previously associated with the UK military was a big net with leaves on it.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus
Hows about if a film of dust around an object could cloak the object itself?

Putting transparent glass around an object doesn't make the object transparent either.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by Simon666]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
wernt bae already working on an optical stealth system for a hawk jet????

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I don't think it was for the Hawk but one was used in the testing of such a system. Alas I know absolutely nothing else on that subject so don't ask

[edit on 4-5-2006 by waynos]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Don't worry, in the true tradition of the aerospace industry over here you can expect (in order):

1. The system to be developed to a high degree of performance.

2. The government to can it.

3. It to be sold to the yanks

4. The yanks will take it, add all the bells and whistles, multiplying the cost by 50.

5. The government will then buy it back for 100 times the cost they sold it for

As sure as night follows day, this will happen, of that I have no doubt

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
wernt bae already working on an optical stealth system for a hawk jet????

EADS were working on a light system for camouflage weren't they?

Yeah, from zion's place:

FRANKFURT (AFX) - EADS is working on developing technology that makes planes or missiles invisible to the naked eye, Financial Times Deutschland said, citing Juergen Kruse, head of EADS's camouflage technology unit.

'We are examining new technologies with which flying objects more than 800 metres away cannot be seen,' Kruse said. 'And our goal is a plane that cannot be detected over great distances.'

These new technologies may use light-emitting diodes or active plastic coatings to allow planes to adapt optically to their surroundings, similar to chameleons.

If EADS can secure research funding from the German government, flight tests with the new planes may begin within the next three years.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:21 AM
link   
blahh it won't be in our lifetime people

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Ehem.... I posted HERE about this yesterday.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ouch sceptic attack !
BAE is & has been on a 'Quest' for Visual Stealth/Cloaking Technology for a good few years & now leads the World in this cutting edge technology.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Primary Mover
Ouch sceptic attack !
BAE is & has been on a 'Quest' for Visual Stealth/Cloaking Technology for a good few years & now leads the World in this cutting edge technology.

The U.S. been working on it since 1940 and Project Yehudi.

Is Cloaking Technology for U.S. Infantry Warfighters Finally Possible?
hiding In Plane Sight

Link on cloaking and holoprojection:
Orbwar
Project Chameleo

The Future of Stealth

"Smart Skin" Technology
Now you see it, now you won't: Boeing lifts the veil on stealthy Bird of Prey

Personally, who currently leads the world in this cutting edge technology is relative.

seekerof

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
the US may be one stage ahead.

Apple has just patented a computer screen that also acts as a camera at the same time. Cover a plane in this with a bit of fancy wiring and software and you have a decent attempt at optical stealth.

Patent:

appft1.uspto.gov... R.&OS=DN/20060007222&RS=DN/20060007222

News report:

www.newscientist.com...

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   
wouldnt this be useless in bad weather conditions?

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
For all you doubters of the feasability of rendering something (actually nearly anything) almost invisible to the naked eye, I suggest you google up everything you can find on photonic crystals and plasmonic coatings--a lot of it is open literature. Further, if the crystals are tuned appropriately they work fine on infra red and on ultraviolet light as well. Such crystals & crystal coatings have the ability to scatter light & other radiation in such a way that reflected light images are nearly non-existent.

I have been trying to track the development of these things for about two years now because of their tremendous potential. Oer the last few months though the literature has nearly dried up--I suspect because various governments have been conducting classified research on them.

As an afterthought, I read a scientific article a few months ago that implied the things could be useful against radar as well.

[edit on 8-5-2006 by Astronomer70]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join