It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VETEREN MEMBERS GIVE ADVICE TO A NEWBIE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hello fellow members.

i just would like some advice on posting new topics. Well as you know I am a newbie here (well actually Im now a junior member, I just got my seconed star. Hee Hee.) I have some topics I would like to post but they could consist of some lengthy introduction. This will not be all the topics I have in mind but just some of them. so what I am asking is would members bother reading a topic that would take, say 15-30 minutes to read. Im not a fast typer so would I be wasting my time in posting a real lengthy topic and just try to keep it short. Or shall I just go ahead with it no matter how long it is.

I appreciate your advice. thankyou stewards.

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hi Stewards...

Good question, and thank you for asking.

In general, it's sound "netiquette" to post long topics that don't exceed one or two scrolls. If your topic is that complex, can it be spit into multiple smaller threads? Attack the main concept one idea at a time (most old timers here will tell you that's my favored approach).

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Absolutely, William.

What Willie is trying to say is that most of us have extremely short attention spans created by the sound-byte media the past few decades. Write a couple of paragraphs, and then if there is already a site that covers the topic in existence, put the link in your post. That'll save your fingers alot of pecking!

Besides, once you open the door, you'll probably find that a whole herd of folks are gonna kick it open and cover many bases for you.

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 08:08 PM
link   
am i a veteran member? could somebody please tell me this.....

I DONT LIKE NOT KNOWING!

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 10:02 PM
link   
No, youre an idiot.

A corn-eating idiot at that

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The best way to learn how to post is to follow what the experienced posters do ...

Here are some guidelines I have learned from this site....

Be nice but expect your head to get bitten off...

Post in the right sections but if you can't be bothered just post anywhere ... someone will move it for you. Make sure you post "who the hell deleted my thread" type posts when it is moved...

Post your entire political and philosophical belief system in one paragraph... making sure to repeat the main ideas about 4 times...

make one word "me too" posts, we all love clicking on a threat to read 'me too' posts

Get upset over the lack of stars by your name ... see them as a source of pride and prestige, unless you have heaps of stars we don't take any notice of you ....

Believe everything you read here, we all make totally factual and correct posts, there is not sarcasm, humor, irony, tomfoolery, or outright lies...

Visit the chat room it where the more serious discussion take place, many FBI, CIA and NSA people post there with important information...

The macho-ness of your nick is inversly proportional to your maturity and selfesteem...

any more?

posted on Oct, 26 2002 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Excellent. thanks to all you mods for the info.

Inspectah with a 174 posts I'II say your practically a veteren.

posted on Oct, 26 2002 @ 10:46 AM
link   
pahahah, excellent...

posted on Oct, 26 2002 @ 01:37 PM
link   
He seems to be getting the hang of it already...Starting with brown-nosing a "vet"...

However, I think I should point out that it would be better to brown-nose a Moderator...or even Simon Gray...You'll get better results with them.

posted on Oct, 26 2002 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Willie likes a brown-noser, but Kano prefers boot-lickers. Me, I like slaves to bring me my beer, temperature just below room temperature.
Nettie? He likes barnyard animals. I mean, he likes barnyard animals, understand? Especially sheep, but lately he's been attracted to Willie's dog. I think it's because she's been wearing way to much lipstick. The kind of thick, glossy lucious lipstick that drives Kiwis mad.

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Bleh, who wears boots, down here we wear thongs. Although he can lick them if he likes.

Incidentally, for the sarcasm-challenged, people don't judge others by the amount of posts they have posted. Don't fall into the trap of trying to post as much as you can just to get your post count up. Generally a handful of good, well thought out posts raise peoples opinion of a poster far greater than hundreds of 'me too' or 'i agree' bull# posts.

(Incidentally, I bet I know what the next post by a kiwi on this thread will consist of...)

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 01:40 AM
link   
stewards, and welcome to the board, old chap.
Posters here have given you an instant guidebook and looking at the bad posts will teach you the rest.
Starting from "What would I like to read?" is not a bad prelude to "What shall I write?".

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 01:43 AM
link   
from Estragon's perspective, for what that's worth - thread-discipline is vital: so much gets lost because posters split threads: ATS is pretty well compartmentalised and it's not hard to be accurate in one's postings.
And no one has yet publicly applauded foul or vicious language: I, for one, prefer to be astonished by the content of a posting rather than mildly offended by the juvenile use of obloquy and obscenity.
Use asterisks if you must (and, perhaps, one occasionally must) employ profanity.

posted on Oct, 27 2002 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Oh, yeah, thanks, Est, I forgot about that. Watch your language as there are many women and cildren on board, and believe it or not, there are still people that believe that proper respect and courtesy should be displayed when in public. Not only is it a crime according to the rules of this town as posted by the mayor, it causes me extra work in editing out the wordy-dird and having to thing of a creative yet non-vulgar replacement.

By the way, you boat-load of cretins, that doesn't mean to start flowering your posts up just to try and run me ragged. I can read your shallow little minds.

top topics

join