It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cricket Vs Baseball

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
One is a picture of someone (not sure who, looks an old pic) bowling - running in, hitting his mark and propelling the ball towards the batsmen. The ball is bowled by pace bowlers at speeds over 100 MPH onto the surface of the wicket where it will spin or rear straight up at the batsman. Aiming the ball for the hands, groin or head is perfectly acceptable within the rules of cricket.

The other picture is of a fat man throwing a ball.

Chissler - get over yourself man, this is 'rant'. My point re the 'important bits' was a jest - certainly not racist - BTW Canada did pretty well in the 2003 Cricket World Cup so some of your countrymen know a good game when they see one.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Cant say that i have alot of time for either game, boring. I did enjoy the odd game of cricket right up until the time that we lost the ashes (grrrr curses ricky ponting under his breath) I mean what person in his right mind sends a team in to bat on a glorious pitch like that. Anyway think were winning the lawn bowls at the moment, must run.

M4S

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
And I believe I said I respected the game more than once.

So since Canada put on a good showing, are we considered as the better half? Simply because of an outcome in a Game/Sport?

You have opened the floor by ranting about another sport, the members have the right to stand up and defend it.

he ball is bowled by pace bowlers at speeds over 100 MPH onto the surface of the wicket where it will spin or rear straight up at the batsman.

So you should appreciate the sport of Baseball, you understand what these men are capable of doing and how rare the talent truly is. The glove on the hand is only to harness their ability.

[edit on 4-5-2006 by chissler]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
HMMMM.......................

I think us Brits have a problem with Baseball because a some what watered down version of it is played by youngsters(mostly girls) in school , called rounders.

It is therefore I would imagine quite hard for us to equate this to the proffesional baseball leagues in North America an asia, quite similar to the view that Americans tend to have towards soccer.

At my school we played cricket (which I love to watch and play) but we also played softball aswell which was great fun,could not watch a whole MLB game though !

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
You're always the better half!

WW1

WW2

Her Maj

etc etc.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
How can a game played by dudes wearing kneepads and Navy uniforms be greater than the grand game of baseball? They're not even talented enough to swing round bats.

Our best baseball players would dominate your sport if the circumstance ever arose.

Peace

No they wouldn't Doc, sorry. How easy do you think it would be to hit a baseball with a round bat if the ball had to bounce on the ground first? Also playing in the centre of the field rather than a corner? Not saying baseball players wouldn't win a game of cricket, they might, but cricketers would give a good, if not winning, account of themselves both in baseball and cricket. They most certainly wouldn't be 'dominated'.

Originally posted by NotClever
Do you recall a movie called "King Ralph", with John Goodman? There's a scene in it where "King Ralph" obliterates a cricket ball with the standard baseball swing.

Yeah cos hollywood movies always portray reality don't they? My favourite basketball player is Teenwolf, I fully expect Tom Cruise to avert WWIII on his own, and geeky guys always always get the big boobed girl in the end

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully

Originally posted by NotClever
Do you recall a movie called "King Ralph", with John Goodman? There's a scene in it where "King Ralph" obliterates a cricket ball with the standard baseball swing.

Yeah cos hollywood movies always portray reality don't they? My favourite basketball player is Teenwolf, I fully expect Tom Cruise to avert WWIII on his own, and geeky guys always always get the big boobed girl in the end

Sooo....that's not real? King Ralph isn't a lounge singer from Vegas? Ah man!! First its Santa Claus, then the Easter Bunny, now this. I suppose next you'll try to tell me Dr. Who doesn't exist.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by NotClever]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Of course Dr Who exists! HE isn't a fabrication out of hollywood

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This is the best definition I have ever heard regarding sport vs. game

Sport- If someone is actively blocking you from reaching a goal, then it's a sport. This would include football, soccer, baseball, cricket, hockey, boxing, etc.

Game- If no one is impeading you from your goal and you are competing individually, it's a game. ie Golf, bowling, races (car and foot), etc.

My personal definition is- If you can drink beer while watching or playing it, it's a sport.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Base ball is a IMO easier version of cricket. I play cricket for my school team, and am No.1 crickter (bear in my mind its a sportsa college aswell). We had a laugh and played some baseball, and it was so EASY!!

Being in a total corner of the pitch and just wacking the ball is an even easier version of rounders IMO.

And about baseballers beating cricketers at cricket-NO.

I guess you didnt see the Somorset (cricket team) vs. a Boston baseball team...Somorset won in both cricket and baseball >

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have never played cricket before but just a couple of tings about baseball. I watch play and coach little league. Boys and girls a like play togther and have fun at baseball ( at least I hope they do). It is a big part of the way of life we are accustom to. I tried to watch cricket and can honestly say I don't understand it and that's only because I had never been exposed to it. As for baseball and all these cricket players that think they can say how easy baseball is I really need to laugh. The thought, stratagy and mental toughness is pretty extreme. There is a lot more to baseball than just throwing and hitting a ball. Games involve constant changing strategy combined with sportsmenship and athletic ability.
Baseball is great game and will always be a part of my life!!!
I'm sure Cricket is too but don't know enough about to be bashing it like others can to baseball.
King Ralph could kick Dr. Who's as%....

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LogDog
This is the best definition I have ever heard regarding sport vs. game

I'd like to take this opportunity to invite everyone over to www.sportztawk.com

Here's an [ahem] interesting thread- What is a sport?

Lots of ongoing topics on that site and I'd love to see some new blood over there. There's a link off the BTS main page, you may have noticed.

So come on over and chime in, you expert and novice sports fans. USA, Europe, Australia, guys in Bettendorf IA with a Nigel Bruce fetish, everyone.

[edit on 5/5/2006 by yeahright]

[edit on 5/5/2006 by yeahright]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
As a side comment, I think Nigel is the most English name I have ever heard.

And while I am on the side of American sports, don't mistake that I'm talking about "good" sports. I am a Seattle sports fan, after all

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I can honestly say I've never seen even part of a game of cricket, only theoretical pictures of such games taking place. I wish they'd put it on TV here in Canada/North America in general to give me a glimpse.

Seems like a weird mix between playing baseball, while wearing a hockey helmet, goalie's mitts, and leg guards.

Neither baseball nor cricket will ever compare to the Sport That Yarcofin Built, known as Clubsketball. Played with a 6 foot long wooden club and a basketball. No joke. U2U me for full rules if you don't believe me.

[edit on 5-5-2006 by Yarcofin]

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Baseball is the harder sport. Try hitting a slider or a Curveball, i'm sure a cricket player wouldn't be able too since they hit the ball after it hits the ground. Cricket is just too easy and clean, a sport made for rich sissy's.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Sport is like Soda Pop (cool drink us Aussies call it) some flavours you like and others you dont, but there is one thing for sure- If Adam Gilchrist was playing in the US of A he would be as big as what Babe Ruth was to Baseball. The man is a one in a million sportsman but because he plays cricket in the southern hemisphere he is relatively unknown. (www.adamgilchrist.info...)

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaVillen
Baseball is the harder sport. Try hitting a slider or a Curveball, i'm sure a cricket player wouldn't be able too since they hit the ball after it hits the ground. Cricket is just too easy and clean, a sport made for rich sissy's.

Curveball - LOL - ever heard of swing?

Or a bouncer? - bounces 5 yards in front of you and bounces straight at your face!!

Cricket's far more skillful

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous

Originally posted by DaVillen

Curveball - LOL - ever heard of swing?

Or a bouncer? - bounces 5 yards in front of you and bounces straight at your face!!

Cricket's far more skillful

No actually neither side can speak on this because it seems neither has played both games extensively. And I am in the same boat, so I am in no position to say what is the easier game.

I have played baseball for years, I know how in depth the game is and how long it takes to master how to play the game. I was a skilled player, but I was always a smarter ball player than a talented one. I couldn't name one cricket player, two teams or 3 rules.

Opinions Are Not Facts!

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Baseball may be fun, but essentially it is rounders (a sport created by the english for girls to play instead of cricket) that was adapted by the americans. Still im sure its very skillfull.

Please dont try and say cricket isnt skillfull without any knowledge of what your talking about, try doing this:

Notice the bare hands.

And is it just me or does there seem to ba an awful lot of fat baseballers?

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 04:09 PM
link   
They're both rubbish! I hate the general toffery in cricket and the bloody tea breaks and the fact that it takes at least a day to finish a game. As for baseball it's no more than rounders for grown-ups. Out of the two I'd say i prefer cricket but baseballs done me a lot of favors in getting me to sleep while i was suffering from insomnia.

Football (soccer) is truly the finest game in the world. It's said to be the most unpredictable, arguably the most skillful and undoubtedly the most popular sport in the world. Watch the champions league final on the 17th and you'll see why its called the beautiful game.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join