It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Junk mail...I am at my wits end!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Can anybody help me sort this problem out? I am getting junk mail from the same source about 10-15 times a day. Its always the same, a blue letter telling me about great stocks or shares to grab. They are always like this...

Inbox_________________Subject

Jem Duncan___________Verbal skateboarding
Mamie Davenport_______Decal stipulation

I have got Norton 2006 and have scanned and removed garbage with Spybot and Ad-aware, but still they come back. Always a different name of course. I block sender everytime and never open them. Please could someone help as I am going to throw my PC off the balcony soon....very soon!

McP.

:bnghd::bnghd::bnghd:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Check the bottom of one of those. There should be a link to remove you from their mailing list.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Can you just flag it as "Spam"? Sometimes responding to those "remove" addresses just verifies they've reached a valid address and your email address gets sold to another 11,000 marketers.

I had an email address off a website at work "spoofed" by some jerks, so it's being used to spam Russia. I get about 1,000 emails a month telling me the email I sent (to Russia) couldn't be delivered. (Makes me wonder how many are getting through). They just all go in a spam folder, which I clean out every night.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
No such luck! Its just a copy of a stock sheet. Looks like a scan of a page. Oops forgot to quote Mechanic for this answer.

[edit on 3/5/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mechanic 32
Check the bottom of one of those. There should be a link to remove you from their mailing list.

With respect, that's the last thing you want to do.

It just lets them know you are receiving their spam.

sanc'.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Something else you can try is forward some of these mails to people like SpamCop ... They gather the information and report spammers to their ISP's and get them black-listed as Internet abusers. I don't know how effective they are, because you don't really get feedback from them. I do know that my Spam problem finally went away after 3 months of reporting to SpamCop. It is a free service. There's a couple of other similar services like www.abuse.net or you can report it to the Federal Trade Commission by sending them a copy of unwanted or deceptive messages to [email protected] .

In the end it's a near impossible battle to fight. Good luck.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks Gemwolf. I will try these options, even if they dont work at least I will get 3 months of thinking the end is in sight!

McP.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Part of the newest spam tactic is to auto generate the 'from' address so that it has a different name each time. Helps to confuse and/or foil junk filters. Same way with the bizarre subject lines. ie: CtALlsS news. I don't know what email app you're using, but I have found Thunderbird to be excellent at learning what I think is junk.

This is the third vote for never responding to "unsubscribe" buttons or links. Most spam goes out blind and getting back legitimate addresses is a bonus for the spammers.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
spam sleuth by blue squirrel. this is a filter that can be heavily modified and while some spam does still get thru, the majority of it is gone for me.

the only thing is can't seem to stop are the newer breed of spam that seem to come from my own email address. those are not too frequent so it isn't a big deal.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Alls I do is set custom filters. If your not in my Address book your emails do not reach my inbox, they go directly to my Junk Email that I can clean out with one button.

I would recommend checking that out.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by NotClever
Part of the newest spam tactic is to auto generate the 'from' address so that it has a different name each time. Helps to confuse and/or foil junk filters.

This is exactly what is happening to me. Another 2 already in the last 2 hours. When I get time I'm gonna try these filters suggested. I'm using Shaw broadband, can I still use these filters?

McP.

[edit on 4/5/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum

Originally posted by Mechanic 32

With respect, that's the last thing you want to do.

It just lets them know you are receiving their spam.

sanc'.

True. Also people should disable HTML and JavaScript or any other scripting language in your inbox. Because some spammers are using unique image names associated with your email address to confirm it exists. Then, even more spam for you.

You'll be surprised at the quatity of 'blank' messages you're receiving when disabling images in emails.

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Everyone has covered the main points in this thread, so I'll just add a vote.
Thunderbird by Mozilla......

Learn how to use it and you will never look back.

I also keep a Gmail acct. that ATS members can click at the bottom of my posts and I've never, not even once, ever had a single spam, virus, trojan, scam, or piece of junk mail ever come to my in-box.

I'll send you an invite for Gmail if you need one, or go to this thread:
First page.......... www.belowtopsecret.com...

Spam should be a thing of the past.............

posted on May, 4 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I've used spampal in the past with great success. The program tags your email subject with specific text (if it's spam) and you can then make rules in outlook or outlook express that will shuffle the unwanted emails to the trashbin. You can even have it delete the emails without you ever seeing them.

new topics

top topics

join