It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fat man and the trolley car...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Heres a question for you...

A runaway trolley car is hurtling down a track where it will kill five people. You are standing on a bridge above the track and, aware of the imminent disaster, you decide to jump on the track to block the trolley car. Although you will die, the five people will be saved.
Just before your leap, you realise that you are too light to stop the trolley. Next to you, a fat man is standing on the very edge of the bridge. He would certainly block the trolley, although he would undoubtedly die from the impact. A small nudge and he would fall right onto the track below. No one would ever know. Should you push him?

Well what would you do? I myself would not push him.

This question and more are here what would you do?, its from a BBC site and its pretty good.

Peace
McP.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If I push him, its a 100% chance he will die. But in the end there is no way to know that those 5 people will in fact die.

So...1 garanteed death vs 5 possible deaths?

I would not push him. But, if it was a for gone conclusion that those 5 people would die, then I would.

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
No I wouldn't push him. If he survived you would be done for attempted murder. What if the fat man was a doctor who could give immidiate, crucial assistance? You could never be sure of the exact outcome so I'd probably shout as loud as I could to the 5 people in the way. like this -

new topics

join