It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox - A continuing effort to capitalize on gore (not Al)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Recently, a Star Telegram article linked to by Drudge.com (a liberal countersite to drudgereport.com) identified an issue with a Continental Airlines plane which was attempting to land in Houston yesterday with a blown tire. Here is that link:

Continental Emergency Landing

Though the report itself is not odd, Fox's coverage of it is. Yesterday afternoon as I was watching Seinfeld on Fox, the program was shrunk to the lower left corner of my screen to allow for Fox to display an URGENT NEWS ALERT which was basically video footage of the plane landing without any additional commentary or text. Personally, I suspect that Fox was secretly hoping that the plane would crash and burst into flames, which would allow them to "scoop" other news sources on the tragedy.

I find such coverage morally reprehensible. The very notion of interrupting regular programming for an URGENT NEWS ALERT with no accompanying audio, text or other similar information, only to cancel the ALERT when no tragedy occurred with no followup or discussion of the reasons for the initial ALERT smacks of media sensationalism.

I have also noticed in the past, stories of other posters who describe similar breaking news ALERTS from Fox with no explanation or followup. In fact, it seems that this has been a trend amongst Fox affiliates to try to "scoop" everyone on tragic events, only to abandon coverage when the event doesn't turn tragic.

Who else has experienced similar ALERTS from Fox? What is the opinion of the ATS community on Fox's rationale for such news coverage? Is it possible that Fox gets forewarning of an impending "national disaster" without specifics and attempts to glom on to whatever catastrophe is underway ASAP in an effort to match their vague warning with some actual events?

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It was in the afternoon? I believe Fox News has that M&J show on in the
afternoons. It stinks. The news people probably went to the pending
possible disaster for coverage so that no one would have to watch M&J.
(which is a disaster of a different kind)

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Actually, the Breaking News was not via Fox News, but the Fox affiliate in my area. I avoid Fox News like people w/ pus-filled sores on their mouths who spit when they talk.

new topics

join